• mummyarms
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Cafe Noir
More
30 Jun 2010 19:20 #379343 by mummyarms
uh huh was created by mummyarms
wrecked my 81 kz650
replaced it with a 82 kz1000ltd, gas gauge isnt working neither are speedometer or the trip counter. i could use some pointers. im a pretty new rider.
im new here as well and im familiar with veteran poster attitudes on message boards. i know im probably making this thread in on the wrong board but your suggestions would be way more helpful than any annoying comments about where i posted this. heres the new bike! picked it up yesterday. running pretty mean looking and sounding really good. also i would appreciate any other general tricks or helpful hints to get the most out of this bike. i will be wrapping the header soon

82' KZ1000LTD
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jun 2010 19:55 #379360 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic uh huh
Welcome aboard! Sorry to hear about the KZ650, but the new bike looks great. Why wrap the header? It looks really sharp as is (at least in the pic) and IMO the wrapped look doesn't match the very clean & shiney personality of the bike (kinda like wearing sneakers with a tux B) ). Regarding the speedo, have you checked the cable? It may just not be engaged tightly at one end, or may be broken and need replacing. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
30 Jun 2010 20:02 - 30 Jun 2010 20:17 #379364 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic uh huh
Speedo and odometer are electric, speed sensor on front wheel. You really need to open the head light bucket and test with a voltmeter that when the tire is rotated you get a voltage pulse off of the sensor wiring. I think it is a 3 wire connector. Also check the BROWN wire at the speedo for power when key is on.
Looks just like my bike before I dressed it up.
I paid $275 for mine, and sunk in another $1000, but I like it.

If you do a search you will find a link to a .pdf factory service manual with the full test procedure and wiring diagram. I down loaded it and its clear and easy to print the page you need. Chapter 5 page 33, once you down load it.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...
Last edit: 30 Jun 2010 20:17 by Motor Head. Reason: Addition

More
30 Jun 2010 20:04 #379366 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic uh huh
welcome to z-jungle,nice looking bike!
like to tell everybody else with a new bike,start at one end and work to the other checking everything in between B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
30 Jun 2010 20:09 #379368 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic uh huh
Motor Head wrote:

Speedo and odometer are electric, speed sensor on front wheel.

What kind of new fangled motorcycle has an electric speedo?:blush: Sorry about the bum cable advice, my bike is more mechanical/less electrical. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• mummyarms
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Cafe Noir
More
30 Jun 2010 20:22 #379372 by mummyarms
Replied by mummyarms on topic uh huh
thanks everyone i really appreciate the hell out of the advice and the thorough responses. i will be having my bosses helping me out with this. my kitchen is a bunch of motorcycle heads fortunately. i will have to download that pdf. i had a clymer for my kz650 i could really use one for my new bike. and im gonna wrap the header for better performance and i like the look of the wrap. www.wrenchmonkees.com it might break some hearts to change the bike in this directions but those danish dudes are putting those bikes together in a style that really suits me and im gonna follow suit their bikes look and run great.

start this up at 7:47 just figured id throw this in there i love this movie! you can watch the whole thing on youtube. english biker death cult yessss\
Justin

82' KZ1000LTD

• Motor Head
  • User
More
30 Jun 2010 20:22 #379373 by Motor Head
Yea electric gauges, I've got them on both of my 82's, I had no speedometer when I got mine, but the odometer worked. My first post on here was how I replaced the IC chip inside and rewired the circuit to make it work. But I was never happy with the accuracy, so I finally bought a used 1 off Ebay. Man are those expensive. I've got some more of the Op Amp IC chips if any one wants a go at making a fresh circuit. I have some .pdf files for Tach circuits etc.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.

• mummyarms
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Cafe Noir
More
30 Jun 2010 20:26 #379374 by mummyarms
im hoping this is just something that needs tighetning. also i think i read somewhere that the cables might just need to be lubed.

82' KZ1000LTD

• Motor Head
  • User
More
30 Jun 2010 20:28 #379375 by Motor Head
The only cables are the throttle and the clutch, and yes I would lube and adjust these pieces. The Manual has all of the procedures, and intervals, and free!!!!!!!!

• mummyarms
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Cafe Noir
More
30 Jun 2010 20:31 #379377 by mummyarms
Motor Head wrote:

The only cables are the throttle and the clutch, and yes I would lube and adjust these pieces. The Manual has all of the procedures, and intervals, and free!!!!!!!!

free is good! this is great i can see this board being very useful. im ready to get my hands dirty and get this bike running nice. i have goals of getting it to stand up. i imagine this shouldnt be such an absurd goal?

82' KZ1000LTD

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
01 Jul 2010 00:19 #379412 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic uh huh
that may be the wrong exhuast for that bike...it may be a suzuki header and made to re bend up....you have a killer bike there and a decent starting point for sure......oh by the way...wrong board/.....:P

mummyarms wrote:

wrecked my 81 kz650
replaced it with a 82 kz1000ltd, gas gauge isnt working neither are speedometer or the trip counter. i could use some pointers. im a pretty new rider.
im new here as well and im familiar with veteran poster attitudes on message boards. i know im probably making this thread in on the wrong board but your suggestions would be way more helpful than any annoying comments about where i posted this. heres the new bike! picked it up yesterday. running pretty mean looking and sounding really good. also i would appreciate any other general tricks or helpful hints to get the most out of this bike. i will be wrapping the header soon

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
01 Jul 2010 05:07 #379425 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic uh huh
trianglelaguna wrote:

that may be the wrong exhuast for that bike...it may be a suzuki header and made to re bend up....you have a killer bike there and a decent starting point for sure......oh by the way...wrong board/.....:P

mummyarms wrote:

wrecked my 81 kz650

Good eyes trianglelaguna! Yep, bet that is a Suzuki header.

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A