"ZRX Conversion-Project" a no-go...

• Sandy
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
More
25 Feb 2010 20:00 #350198 by Sandy
Well,after years of acquiring all of the parts,and a couple more to actually get started on it,lol...I've decided not to go ahead with it.
For me to do it,I would have to start as SOON as I pull the bike off the road at the end of the riding season,but that seems to be when I'm the busiest with work,and then comes the Holidays,etc.
With the amount of riding that I actually get to do in a season,and for all the work involved,I have to wonder if it would really be worth my while(*MY* while,nobody else's)...and no...it's not.
And for the most part,my Warden rides with me,and we do a long ride every summer,so doing the conversion would really change the bike,and the(only)way that I would convert,would NOT work for a passenger(and luggage).
And I won't take on another project-bike,no way...can't do it any time soon.
I'll continue to modify my Kawi in small doses,and even bigger ones when the time arises,but I can't commit to the complete conversion.I've already done a LOT to it over the years,and I absolutely LOVE the bike and how well it performs.(still get a chubby in my trousers):woohoo:

I've seen a LOT of bikes here on KZrider,and a lot of awesome conversions...kutos to all who have done it!
I've been talking with Mark1122 and a few others over the years and they all gave me a lot of great ideas,thanks alot guys.
The Warden says she does NOT want me to get rid of the old-school spoke wheels,and to leave it the way it is.
I have to agree with her.All the years I've had this bike(about 20 now),I just can't picture it not looking the way it does now.It has become a pretty serious part of the family.
(Maybe I'll get a 14 for serious play.:woohoo: )
I'm really looking forward to the 2010 riding season!
(it snowed yesterday,lol)

1977 KZ1000 A-1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
25 Feb 2010 20:07 #350201 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic "ZRX Conversion-Project" a no-go...
Hell yeah, get the 14! It might take a while for the looks to grow on you, but everyone that I have talked to that owns that bike LOVES IT! Just imagine a bike with the same weight as a KZ1000, with fuel injection, that makes 190 hp and 105 ft.lbs.:woohoo:

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

• Sandy
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
More
25 Feb 2010 20:21 #350206 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic "ZRX Conversion-Project" a no-go...
Yup...pretty sweet for sure.I sat on one a while back,in the showroom.I think I started to sweat,lol :ohmy:

I don't know how the KZ would feel though,about sharing the heat in the garage with another bike.
Could be a battle.:laugh:

1977 KZ1000 A-1

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
25 Feb 2010 20:38 #350212 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic "ZRX Conversion-Project" a no-go...
Sandy wrote:

Yup...pretty sweet for sure.I sat on one a while back,in the showroom.I think I started to sweat,lol :ohmy:

I don't know how the KZ would feel though,about sharing the heat in the garage with another bike.

Don't sweat, it's not that hard to ride. Yeah, its fast, but all that torque makes it really forgiving. If you want to be scared, try to ride my zx-10r. Pin it in first gear, and try to keep the front wheel down! Upshift at the redline at 105 mph and catch more air in second!

I know how the KZ will feel. It's the daddy. Not the youngest, strongest, or fastest, but it paved the road and it was all of those things in its day. Could you take that away from your dad? I know that I couldn't.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

• Sandy
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
More
25 Feb 2010 20:44 #350213 by Sandy
Oh No,I was sweating out of excitement!:woohoo:

Ya,I've heard about the 10's...100 miles an hour in first gear...sick!:ohmy:
I don't think I could ride that bike for too long though...with my nose on the front fender all day,lol.

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
25 Feb 2010 21:08 #350215 by Tony
Replied by Tony on topic "ZRX Conversion-Project" a no-go...
Hey Sandy, I know how much time and effort you put into gathering all those parts. But I get what's going on with it. I was thinking about modding my mk2 but decided to try and keep it mostly stock.
You should put up a post in the classified ad section and see if someone here might be interested in your parts. It would save a lot of leg work for someone trying to track all that stuff down.

• Sandy
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
More
25 Feb 2010 21:16 #350217 by Sandy
Tony wrote:

Hey Sandy, I know how much time and effort you put into gathering all those parts. But I get what's going on with it. I was thinking about modding my mk2 but decided to try and keep it mostly stock.
You should put up a post in the classified ad section and see if someone here might be interested in your parts. It would save a lot of leg work for someone trying to track all that stuff down.

Ya...I agree with you,Tony...and yes it was a lot of work.
And I WILL eventually put up a post in the classifieds.
I'm just waiting to hear back from a couple guys in the Vancouver area.
And I was SO close to tearing it down at the end of LAST season,lol...but the Warden got me all lickered up and talked me out of it,P me O!:laugh:
Time for me to start drinking that light-beer stuff eh!

Oh AND,heyyyyyyyy...your MK11 would look SWEET all Rexxed up,Tony!:ohmy:

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
25 Feb 2010 21:38 #350218 by likes2gofast2009
Replied by likes2gofast2009 on topic "ZRX Conversion-Project" a no-go...
Sandy wrote:

You'll come out to the garage one day to oil stains drug across the floor and the 14 is no-where in site while the KZ is just chillin like "What? See another bike in here... Nope..." :P

1980 KZ1000 LTD "Brandi"
4-1 Kerker
Dyna Coils
More to come this winter!

More
25 Feb 2010 21:42 #350219 by Tony
Sandy wrote:

Tony wrote:

Ya...I agree with you,Tony...and yes it was a lot of work.
And I WILL eventually put up a post in the classifieds.
I'm just waiting to hear back from a couple guys in the Vancouver area.
And I was SO close to tearing it down at the end of LAST season,lol...but the Warden got me all lickered up and talked me out of it,P me O!:laugh:
Time for me to start drinking that light-beer stuff eh!

Oh AND,heyyyyyyyy...your MK11 would look SWEET all Rexxed up,Tony!:ohmy:

You not serious!! You want to GIVE me all that stuff!!?? :laugh:

More
25 Feb 2010 21:45 #350220 by Tony
It would end up looking like this. This is a friends bike from Sweden.
Attachments:

More
26 Feb 2010 06:58 #350252 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic "ZRX Conversion-Project" a no-go...
Sandy, this post needs pictures of your bike!
I tried in the profile section. Some come up with Gallery links, but yours didn't.
I've also been contimplating suspension upgrades in the back of my head.
I just got another 650 that needs a lot of work.
Could be the one to finally see it.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

• Sandy
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
More
26 Feb 2010 07:48 #350259 by Sandy
Rob,I HAD pics of my bike in the gallery,but it's been a few years since I last saw them.I'll check into that after work...after the hockey game...after the beers...oh wait...maybe I'll look tomorrow.

1977 KZ1000 A-1