Anyone ever make or see a homemade bike lift?

More
09 Oct 2009 20:10 #326486 by arai59
Dang Bill..........you used so much wood on that lift...I wonder if you gathered animals by two ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Oct 2009 04:51 #326550 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic Anyone ever make or see a homemade bike lift?
I broke down and bought a lift from Harbor Freight. Best move i made in a long time.

I have worked on four bikes since i bought it and it is paid for.

It is nice to not have to sit on milk crates.

My shop is only 14'X14' and i just park my bike on the lift.

Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
10 Oct 2009 05:34 #326556 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Anyone ever make or see a homemade bike lift?
I gotta agree with monkeyCmonkeyDO there! That is a lotta cellulose! Next time use my plans....

Put your Valerie on that! :P

The Harbor Freight one looks like a good one for the money. And a deal if you figure in what you'll save by not having to go to the chiropractor.

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
12 Oct 2009 06:48 #327010 by saltydog
Replied by saltydog on topic Anyone ever make or see a homemade bike lift?
Look at this link for home made lifts.
www.afabonline.com/cycle.htm

1981 KZ1000 CSR, 1982 KZ440 ltd, 1972 Honda ct90, 1978 KZ 650

More
12 Oct 2009 11:38 #327068 by Tommotbird
Replied by Tommotbird on topic Anyone ever make or see a homemade bike lift?
Reckon she could probably lift a bike or two!

Triumph Thunderbird Sport
Triumph Legend
Lambretta SX150
Moto Guzzi V11 Sport
1981 KZ650CSR HI
KZ1100 A2 x 4
Z1 Classic
KZ1000 LTD K1 1981
KZ750 LTD H2 x 4
Attachments:

More
12 Oct 2009 11:53 #327072 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic Anyone ever make or see a homemade bike lift?
lets see if this works.

leon holmes

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0
Attachments:

More
12 Oct 2009 11:57 - 12 Oct 2009 12:01 #327073 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic Anyone ever make or see a homemade bike lift?
Bike Stand Plans
The stand is pretty straight forward to build and use, and I've had bikes of about 450 pounds on it. It may require some additional bracing for anything heavier.

The top and back support panels of the stand pivot and form the ramp for rolling the bike on to the stand. With a heavier bike you will definitely want to be sure you have a fair amount of room for the approach in which to build up some speed, as otherwise you'll find that you can't push the bike quite far enough up the stand to go over-center and have the stand top return to horizontal.

After rolling the bike up I secure it with tie downs to some metal eye brackets on the sides of the stand. I also use a hook and eye to secure the back support panel to the side, so that it can't be accidentally kicked out of place. You will need to have some sort of wheel stop at the front edge of the top to keep the bike from plummeting off when you roll it up in ramp-mode. Put this chock as far forward as possible, so you can be sure the bike's center of gravity goes past the top's fulcrum point.

Bill of materials:

2 each Sides of 3/4" plywood (minimum thickness) - 72" x 18"
1 each Top of 3/4" plywood (minimum thickness) - 78" x 24"
2 each End panels - 3/4" plywood (minimum thickness) 24" x 18"
3 each 2" x 4" x 22.5" cross bars
1 each 2" x 6" x 22.5" ramp end cross bar
2 pairs STURDY hinges - feel free to use 2 pairs of 3 if you like, but the weight of the top in horizontal or ramp mode should be largely taken by the sides and top cross bars.
Procedure:

After cutting the various parts out (and no, it doesn't seem like you can get all the panels out of one sheet of plywood - get a friend so you can buy 3 sheets of plywood and make two stands) join the two sides with the cross bars. Nails are fine but glue and wood screws are nicer. Then attach the front panel to the front (18" high) of the sides. Make sure the top-center cross bar doesn't extend into the ramp area, and is flush with the top of the sides. This is needed so the hinges attach properly and it doesn't interfere with the top in ramp mode.

Attach the top and remaining end panel to each other with the hinges so the hinge is on the underside of the top and the two panels fit closely to each other when in the same plane.

Now the tricky part. Lay the combined top/end panels on the angled portion of the sides so that the back end of the end panel is at ground level. Now mark the top panel where it hits the back corner of the middle-top crossbar, at the fulcrum point. You can then put the top/end panels on the floor, hinge UP, and upend the sides onto the assembly. Align the fulcrum point/crossbar/line on the underside of the top panel, and mark for the holes to attach the hinges. Now drill the holes and bolt the hinges to the cross bar and top. If you don't get the hinges attached properly the top panel won't move smoothly between horizontal and ramp positions.

Turn it back over and attach the eye plates, wheel chock, and hook/eye for the back panel. A coat of sealer to keep oil from soaking in and you should be ready to use the stand.

I'd suggest cutting some holes in the side or end panels for access to the area in the front end (away from the ramp) of the stand. It is a good place to put those full oil-drain pans so they don't get kicked, or storing other parts. If you put stuff in the back section, you have to make sure it doesn't stick up high enough to be hit when the top goes into ramp mode.

I've drawn side and top views of the parts, as well as two side views, one of which shows the top in ramp mode, and the other shows the top horizontal. The stand is pretty simple so I think this should be sufficient to get the idea across.

leon holmes

i got the above plans and info from www.eurospares.com/bikestnd.htm

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0
Last edit: 12 Oct 2009 12:01 by 531blackbanshee.

More
13 Oct 2009 11:57 #327340 by chance
This one is easy to make..

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
14 Oct 2009 11:42 #327511 by bluej58
Replied by bluej58 on topic Anyone ever make or see a homemade bike lift?
Cool plans, and I've got the plywood laying around.
I think I'll reinforce the top with some 2" angle iron though.
Thanks JD

78 KZ1000 A2A

More
14 Oct 2009 17:24 - 14 Oct 2009 17:29 #327559 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Anyone ever make or see a homemade bike lift?
since i cant seem to get pictures to load on my computer these days ill just suggest some of the things ive used in past! engine hoist/jd 310d backhoe/jd710 backhoe/bobcat 435 excavator of course i do use a strap ! :laugh:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.
Attachments:
Last edit: 14 Oct 2009 17:29 by PLUMMEN.