So.....Are You a "Biker" or a "Rider" ?

More
06 Sep 2009 12:12 #319513 by saxjonz
Replied by saxjonz on topic So.....Are You a
Too bad we live in a disposable society. Nothing of note is really being constructed that will last. That would be a detriment to society. To actually find something so good and dependable and durable? Shit the factories would cease to exist. Thank goodness we have new and better. Thank goodness we have that or capitalism today as we know it would be in trouble. My paint job on my bike is faded or scratched or tires are worn and chain is slack. To hell with fixing it that would cost more than what the bike is worth to replace after a few years. Tune it up. Ha just ride it and buy a new one that is of flimsier construction than past models but hey?! Who cares it looks new and improved. Never mind I could improve my ride and paint it or put better tires other components to my choice. That would be unamerican! Bite your tongue man! Besides, we need those people to... well whatever it is they do do.:huh: They have new and improved minds today to handle old and antiquated thinking. On special now at a store near you for only 1200 a deal at any price. It's new and improved for the same price as last weeks!
kzr750r1 wrote:

This all reminds me of a co worker who called all the "other" Harley owners RUBS.

I'm in it for the riding... Some think I'm in it for the tinkering.

My main complaint with folks these days is the consumer mentality. When something breaks it's usually discarded. How about a novel idea of learning to diagnose and fix things? Repairing the beast is the best reward without just dropping it off for an "expert" to solve. Of course when things are out of my "skill level" I punt. TIG welding aluminum for example, at this point it's a PUNT. Someday I will not though.

What happens when the sucker dies for some un explainable reason on the road... AAA should not be the only answer. ;)

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Sep 2009 13:05 - 06 Sep 2009 13:12 #319518 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic So.....Are You a
Never say what you will or won't do when you get older. Scratch that "if" you get older. You have no perspective as to how you will deal with that reality. The days of crapping Kryptonite ends all too fast and sooner rather than later for some of us. There is no fountain of youth in motorcycles but there is a enhancement of life. A bored soul is only that. Tickling that soul can be done in a number of ways and with a number of things. The motorcycle and all of it's variations do this job just fine.

I am up there and while I claim no racing background or full boogie mechanical ability I have some cycle lube in my veins. I see the day coming when I may not be able to handle one of these thoroughbreds. I have already looked at trikes and love my neighbors Can-Am Spyder. I believe they may have already put my name on one they are building. I also like another friends Big Ruckus. A lil' 250 water cooled scooter that looks to have Hummer blood. I have never seen another bike gather as much attention as that lil' scoot and he loves it. Honda should start building them again. I like the SilverWing and Suzy Bergman. Being 650's they have some nice ability to move and handle pretty good too.

Ya really should try them. If for nothing else, just so you know what you are talking about. Just don't get on one and think it will replace that Z1, Replica or Streetfighter. It won't. But it may just extend a love affair with the wind and the pavement. It may just preserve your sanity when everything else is failing. It may just put a smile on that pain filled face and make you still want to see what's down the road without being afeared of it.

Just like those who gets on here and don't know if they want a tourer, cruiser, Hot Rod, or a dual purpose bike I really think throughout your life you may want all of them at some time or another. But later on it will be simple. It's whatever gets you at least part of the way down that road you know so well. The one you have been traveling since this world came into focus. May your road go on forever and your ride do it's job.

How to become immortal: Read this signature tomorrow and follow its advice.

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"
Last edit: 06 Sep 2009 13:12 by Locozuna.

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
06 Sep 2009 15:19 - 06 Sep 2009 15:23 #319550 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic So.....Are You a
I guess I might be a "biker", While I was pretending to be a "rider" this afternoon my charging system took a shit and left me stranded for an hour. When it cooled down a little it fired and I got her home. I have one bike apart doing a valve job on and my other bike will not charge. So come hell or highwater I will be riding tomorrow, just gotta see which I can have ready first with the parts I have on hand. The nice thing about having a few bikes is deciding which to ride when the mood hits. Problem is I am in the mood but wrench I must. I am a Biker

I also have to replace the fuel line on my weed eater so does that make me a Lawn man?

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL
Last edit: 06 Sep 2009 15:23 by Kawickrice.

More
06 Sep 2009 15:26 #319558 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic So.....Are You a
Kawickrice wrote:

I also have to replace the fuel line on my weed eater so does that make me a Lawn man?

I think it makes you a "Trimmer" Jockey....not that that's a bad thing... :blink: ;)

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

• MentalMike
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • God Bless America!
More
06 Sep 2009 17:30 - 06 Sep 2009 17:36 #319590 by MentalMike
Replied by MentalMike on topic So.....Are You a "Biker" or a "Rider" ?
Now this is what I call a "Rider" ! B) There was no one like the GOAT !!

I swear to God, it's like I live in a trailer of common sense, and stare out the window at a tornado of stupidity.

1976 Kawasaki KZ900
1978 Kawasaki KZ1000A
1978 Kawasaki KZ650 C
1984 Kawasaki ZN1100 LTD
1985 Kawasaki ZX900A2 GPZ (2)
1985 Kawasaki ZL900 Eliminator
2013 Kawasaki C14 Concours
Attachments:
Last edit: 06 Sep 2009 17:36 by MentalMike.

More
06 Sep 2009 17:47 #319599 by Yojymbo!
Replied by Yojymbo! on topic So.....Are You a "Biker" or a "Rider" ?
"Was it Kierkegaard or Dick Van Patten that said, 'If you label me you negate me.'"?

Wayne Campbell

More
06 Sep 2009 17:52 #319602 by pitblue/kz
Replied by pitblue/kz on topic So.....Are You a
i'm still figuring out what i want to ride next i just know i wanna ride

this year i went to bikeweek in daytona and after a few hrs i couldn't wait to get on my bike and just go this was my first year going

i've heard sturgis is more fun and a lot of riding to do there i'm planing to ride to sturgis from jax fl next year with my dad

i don't know everything about bikes and i ask alot of questions i'm pretty sure that i've read most discussions on this forum in my quest for more knowledge i'll keep my bike out of the shop as long as i can and do it all myself (with your help. lol!)

i don't shop for the coolest gear nor do i care what others think about my choice in bikes

my wife supports me in this addiction i think she has it too she is pushing me to get myself another bike so she can have mine she sold her honda shadow 500 and doesn't want the shadow 1100 i have for her now she says my kz is what she wants.

my 19 mth old son screams in excitment every time he sees a motorcycle hell all my kids love motorcycles i think i have an epidemic here mabye one day i'll be able take a motorcycle tour with my family one day

More
07 Sep 2009 18:17 #319752 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic So.....Are You a
That's the way to do it, Pitblue!

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

More
08 Sep 2009 21:04 - 08 Sep 2009 21:06 #320058 by saxjonz
Replied by saxjonz on topic So.....Are You a
Well, tonight I was in St. Charles and I get the idea. It doesn't matter whether you consider yourself a biker or rider. That is just a word. I consider some who ride a bunch of strokes. I get the conversation. These guys were riding some pretty boy screaming eagle harleys with the fancy paint jobs. Their hair was perfectly cut and their jackets looked like they just bought them and I thought these guys are neither bikers nor riders. They are little more than POSEURS! Calling someone a rider is not a bad thing or a biker either. You can be either and put many miles on your bike. It's a state of mind but a POSEUR can be found trying to put the image out there. I like the shirts that say "Nice trailer, ASSHOLE" I have seen them. They look as new riding those bikes as do their shine and gleam coming off of their clothes and bikes.
Nothing personal but I had to call 911 today to report an incident there and the first words out of dispatcher's ignorant mouth was "Are they black or hispanic?" I asked her in a straight tone. ARE YOU SERIOUS? I said no he is a WHITE guy. Amazing. I lose respect for civility when we live in such a melting pot of a country where people have to act so ignorant. I understand Obama and Gates reacting in the way they did. I actually was taking the side of the cop figuring authority is authority but now I am starting to see just how much race profiling is prevalant. I am glad that I am not a target but mad as .... that this is still going here in the Good Ol US of A. Just think back when the Indians were the true americans. Imagine if they had of treated the white people in that manner.The pilgrims would for sure all have perished. Wow. I can't do it. How many cultures have melded here for them to think that the only color here is white.
I am white and almost completely embarassed for each ignorant american who thinks white people are totally superior to any other race etc. etc. People like this go out and buy those fancy Harleys and give people who ride Harley a bad name. The really serious ones hate bikers and riders combined. Congratulations you guys. You have allowed us as a country to decline. Our once great automobiles that Japanese came to copy are now copying the japanese. Good job guys! Keep up the hard work!

I am really sorry if I am ranting and raving here. But americans I know are intelligent and understanding of how things have come to get where they are now. I am sure I have upset some of you with my views and for that I apolegize because it is not polite to

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200
Last edit: 08 Sep 2009 21:06 by saxjonz.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
08 Sep 2009 21:32 #320069 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic So.....Are You a "Biker" or a "Rider" ?
smoka da bowl again aye saxy

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
09 Sep 2009 03:58 #320084 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic So.....Are You a
Sax, you hit every nail right on the head.

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

More
09 Sep 2009 05:47 #320111 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic So.....Are You a "Biker" or a "Rider" ?
"smoka da bowl again aye saxy "... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Me thinks Sax is an educated intellectual type... :S :P :laugh:

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az