So.....Are You a "Biker" or a "Rider" ?

• MentalMike
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • God Bless America!
More
01 Sep 2009 09:50 #318228 by MentalMike
So.....Are You a "Biker" or a "Rider" ? was created by MentalMike
I wanna know which one of the terms, "Biker" or "Rider" you would consider yourself as? Is there a stereotype associated with either term, and do you fit that stereotype?

What's the difference between the two?

I posed this question on another forum almost two years ago and the debate is still going on.

Now I wanna know what you guys think. B)

I swear to God, it's like I live in a trailer of common sense, and stare out the window at a tornado of stupidity.

1976 Kawasaki KZ900
1978 Kawasaki KZ1000A
1978 Kawasaki KZ650 C
1984 Kawasaki ZN1100 LTD
1985 Kawasaki ZX900A2 GPZ (2)
1985 Kawasaki ZL900 Eliminator
2013 Kawasaki C14 Concours

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Sep 2009 10:59 - 01 Sep 2009 11:03 #318246 by Mark Wing
Replied by Mark Wing on topic So.....Are You a
I'd have to say both, I have some nice Schwinn's too.

Mark

Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.
Last edit: 01 Sep 2009 11:03 by Mark Wing.

• Limey
  • User
  • 3 Years in the U.K. - Brought the KZ with me!
More
01 Sep 2009 11:06 #318249 by Limey
Replied by Limey on topic So.....Are You a "Biker" or a "Rider" ?
I consider myself a "Motorcycle Enthusiast"!

IMHO, "bikers" ride Harleys and have no idea what it is really all about!

Eric
Newmarket, England (for 3 years)
Pentwater, Michighan (Home)
1978 KZ650
2000 ZG1000
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650

• wagonmaster69
  • User
  • 78 KZ1000A2 / 82 KZ1100 Spectre
More
01 Sep 2009 12:02 #318259 by wagonmaster69
Replied by wagonmaster69 on topic So.....Are You a "Biker" or a "Rider" ?
IMO a biker is someone who can work on their bike or can build a bike they ride.
A rider is just that someone who rides only if they break down they get pissed cause they know they are goig to get stuck with a $500.00 plus bill cause they blew a fuse and didnt know how to fix it...

78 KZ1000 work in progress in Hacienda Heights California and a 82 KZ1100 Spectra And a 1992 ZX11.

More
01 Sep 2009 12:08 #318262 by Born Dead 2
Replied by Born Dead 2 on topic So.....Are You a
wagonmaster69 wrote:

IMO a biker is someone who can work on their bike or can build a bike they ride.
A rider is just that someone who rides only if they break down they get pissed cause they know they are goig to get stuck with a $500.00 plus bill cause they blew a fuse and didnt know how to fix it...

+1

More
01 Sep 2009 12:11 #318263 by Born Dead 2
Replied by Born Dead 2 on topic So.....Are You a
Limey wrote:

I consider myself a "Motorcycle Enthusiast"!

IMHO, "bikers" ride Harleys and have no idea what it is really all about!

Maybe you should mention that to a 1%er if you know what that means.....:lol:

More
01 Sep 2009 12:34 #318265 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic So.....Are You a "Biker" or a "Rider" ?
I read about motorcycles, I ride motorcycles, I work on motorcycles, I even dream about motorcycles...don't know if that makes me a 'biker' or 'rider', but some would say that it makes me unbalanced...

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
01 Sep 2009 12:40 #318267 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic So.....Are You a "Biker" or a "Rider" ?
I have been known to ride to the beach in shorts and flip flops. I have been known to ride to the pub in my leather. I have a full face helmet and I have a chrome german helmet. I just like to ride so call me what you want. I just love motorcycles

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

• KOOL RYDER
  • User
  • KZ 650B2 / KZ 1000E
More
01 Sep 2009 12:46 #318269 by KOOL RYDER
Replied by KOOL RYDER on topic So.....Are You a "Biker" or a "Rider" ?
I am just a cool dude who happens to ride motorcycles. If I need to I can get my hands dirty, but I would rather just be cool. :laugh:

I like the way the chickies say "nice bike".

KR B)

Rockin\' a KZ650B2 since 2007 and a KZ 1000E since 2008

1978 KZ650B
1979 KZ1000ST

More
01 Sep 2009 13:29 - 01 Sep 2009 13:34 #318280 by Russ Jackson
Replied by Russ Jackson on topic So.....Are You a "Biker" or a "Rider" ?
I was surrounded by Bikers when I was young. It was my only form of transportation for several years. I had phone numbers of the girls I dated at the time engraved in the tank. Most of my friends rode bikes and worked on them. Weekends started on Friday night and there was never a plan. Sometimes they lasted for weeks. I think when the term Biker started it meant something totally different than it does today. Today the emphasis on the brand seems important. More so than it did in the late 70s and 80s. If you rode and knew how to ride you were accepted. Today it seems to be more of a polishing contest by those who have sold there soul to the credit department at the local Harley Shop. I think this current market might cause a re-newal of the Biker as these machines are being reposessed by the banks that own them. Then sold back at a much lower cost to the common folk. There are some great deals out there right now.

In my book if you ride and love the history of motorcycles. Understand the basics of their mechanics. Respect other riders and their needs. Help out others on the path to becoming a Biker. Share your knowledge and experiences. You are a Biker.

Those who put rules on it don't have a clue nor will they ever. I have a problem with some jack ass that looks at me like I am an Idiot or Wannabe when I pull up at a Bike Night on a Bike they have no idea what it is or the history of bikes. While he looks at me crosseyed jerking off on his polish job in his supposed Biker Gear. I do know that guy is not and has never been a Biker. He also has spent no time learning how to ride. Then proceeds to slam down 5 or 6 beers jumps on to his Bike without helmet followed by his woman climbing over him on the back for the ride home in a drunk haze. Endangering others for the duration of their travels. He will repeat this every thursday night until the Bank repos it or he wrecks and becomes a statistic. I hear the same story all summer long on the radio every week. Motorcycle wreck alcohol involved age 45 11pm.

Riding a Motorcycle is a pleasure and a fear that must be loved. Even when you stop riding for a few years because of children, family, whatever. You still think of it all the time. The more you ride the more you need it. It is a specific freedom that cannot be compared to anything. It makes us young again and keeps us from ever getting old.

For some of us it is an escape for the daily gring. A bond with friends and family. It can be the one thing in common for a Dad and Son/Daughter during the tough teenage years. A weekend alone with you spouse to places unknown. A bike and being a biker will always give back more than you put in. Is there really anything better than a cool Sunday morning ride after a good cup of coffee on a long country road? Or maybe the sound of a Barn Find that starts for the first time after a long rest with your Son beside you with an ear to ear grin and greasy hands as he hears his first inline 4 fire up. Your wife looks into the garage from a cracked door and smiles as she sees her two men proud of there creation. She doesn't dare enter the garage because she knows it is our time. For she is a Biker also. She also remembers me scratching out the names of the others on the tank that could never match up to her. There is alot more to being a Biker than Polishing....Russ

1976 KZ 900 B1 29 smoothbores, Kerker, Lester Mags
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 abs
Last edit: 01 Sep 2009 13:34 by Russ Jackson.

More
01 Sep 2009 13:53 - 01 Sep 2009 14:01 #318283 by pitblue/kz
Replied by pitblue/kz on topic So.....Are You a "Biker" or a "Rider" ?
someone once told me 15 grand and 15 min doesn't make you a biker
i think
a rider rides to be cool
a biker rides to feed his addiction
were i work there 20 to 30 guys who own motorcycles and only 3 of us who ride in on a daily basis
the rest call themselves "weekend warriors" i call em "weakass warriors"
one guy owns a 78 harley and is very proud as should be its beautiful with only 4300 miles on it and it is a one owner i've put twice that on mine in 18 mths
now you have my thoughts
ps. riding while drunk is definitley stupid i agree we have enough obsticals to overcome on the road i see no need to add to them.
Last edit: 01 Sep 2009 14:01 by pitblue/kz.

More
01 Sep 2009 15:16 #318291 by chance
Replied by chance on topic So.....Are You a "Biker" or a "Rider" ?
I guess mines in my sig.:woohoo: