My bike just won't sell!!!

• Scoot Jockey
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1976 KZ 900 A-4 & 1997 FLHRPI
More
08 Jul 2009 16:03 #305501 by Scoot Jockey
My bike just won't sell!!! was created by Scoot Jockey
I've been trying to sell my bike for some time now with no success. I'm almost to the point where I am ready to disassemble it and sell the parts, which would be unfortunate since I finally got it running good!

cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...IT&item=290329312906

Is my price unreasonable?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jul 2009 16:33 #305503 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic My bike just won't sell!!!
Let me start by saying I think it's a good looking bike and to me it looks like a bargain at your asking price. However, I would question the validity of the listed mileage because the speedometer is not original. I'm NOT questioning your honesty; that speedo was probably on it when you bought it. I'm guessing the biggest problem you face in selling it is the fact that you're in Reno and will not ship it. So anyone that's far away will be considering how much time & money it would cost to drive to and from Reno to take delivery. Just my 2c.

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
08 Jul 2009 16:51 - 08 Jul 2009 16:52 #305505 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic My bike just won't sell!!!
Nice bike, I would like to say on eBay it's important to set a low opening bid. People expect it, someone is always hoping to score a deal. But once they get in they will bid what they think it's worth.

If this was listed on Craigslist you very well could get your opening bid in a day or two, but eBay , hey, everybody likes to see those .99 cent auctions. If you set the opening bid low, like $500 or less, watch the bids come in.

If you have to get 1850 set a reserve close to it, like 1700

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles
Last edit: 08 Jul 2009 16:52 by OKC_Kent.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
08 Jul 2009 16:53 #305506 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic My bike just won't sell!!!
smoothbores too...omr says that you cant find a bike in the desert fro a good deal.....i've seen your adds for a whoile myself ....so why no bites....i'd buy it if my plate was'nt full........

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
08 Jul 2009 18:22 #305519 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic My bike just won't sell!!!
dang that's beautiful... I as well find it hard to believe that hasn't been snatched up yet... Especially from the ppl in Las Vegas... Their prices are insane for what they have been asking there...

As I recently posted, my buddy sold his POS '76 KZ900 and it looked worst than mine (originally) for $1k... Your bike is gorgeous and only for another $800 over that....

Man, I just don't get it... Same time, friends in Reno say timers are tough up there right now so maybe this has something to do with it....

Now Craig, that's not what I said... I didn't say you can't find, I only said they're hard/near impossible to find...

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

• Scoot Jockey
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 Jul 2009 10:02 #305648 by Scoot Jockey
Replied by Scoot Jockey on topic My bike just won't sell!!!
Thanks for the feedback. I know that the unemployment rate in Reno is 12%, so I suppose that isn't helping the cause at all. The more I think about it, the more I may just close the auction and keep the bike. An extra $1,700 (after EBay fees) would be nice right about now, but I would always regret letting it go for so cheap.

That is the speedo that was on it when I got it back in '96. I did not know it was the incorrect part. I would think the true mileage on any bike that is over 30 years old would be unknown. I do have receipts for all the work that was done and the parts.

Thanks again...

More
09 Jul 2009 10:12 #305652 by Russ Jackson
Replied by Russ Jackson on topic My bike just won't sell!!!
Makes no sense why it has not sold. You could easily part it and get alot more. Nice looking bike also...Russ

1976 KZ 900 B1 29 smoothbores, Kerker, Lester Mags
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 abs

• Scoot Jockey
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 Jul 2009 10:58 #305656 by Scoot Jockey
Replied by Scoot Jockey on topic My bike just won't sell!!!
Well Phooey! I ended the auction early since it had no bids. I'll just keep the bike and forget about selling it for awhile. As long as I'm employed I won't need the money that bad. All those gawkers had their chance as far as I'm concerned. If they had bid I would have honored the contract.

Thanks again for all the feedback. It's good to know I wasn't way off base on the price...

• KOOL RYDER
  • User
  • KZ 650B2 / KZ 1000E
More
09 Jul 2009 11:18 - 09 Jul 2009 11:19 #305659 by KOOL RYDER
Replied by KOOL RYDER on topic My bike just won't sell!!!
Why dont you try a new strategy, where you only list the new parts on the bike and leave out all of the other history. Keep it short a sweet.

For sale is a 197X KZ900 in beautiful shape, rebuilt engine and is running great. New parts include (list most meaningful parts here)

Leave he rest up to the potential buyers imagination.

If the bike has been rebuilt say so, but just leave it at that.

Sometimes a long list of items scares people off.

List the new parts, set a reserve at 1700 like was mentioned and try again. Also, throw it up on Craigslist, and auto trader ect... get it out there for people to see.

It looks great so persistance will payoff eventally.

Rockin\' a KZ650B2 since 2007 and a KZ 1000E since 2008

1978 KZ650B
1979 KZ1000ST
Last edit: 09 Jul 2009 11:19 by KOOL RYDER.

More
09 Jul 2009 11:25 #305661 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic My bike just won't sell!!!
No offense meant here, but, I kinda think you said too much and came on a little rigid and inflexible. Not that I would expect you to come down on price but it kinda sounded like it would be hard to deal with you. You were pretty specific of how you wanted the deal to go down with payment and hours you would be available and twice saying you didn't want to ship but for $50 you'd transport it to a shipper. Not that I see anything wrong with it but it's not usually so spelled out as I see it. Nice bike and I think worth it. But I have to say I was a little put off by the details and wordings. I am from old yankee stock so I do like to talk a little and there seemed no use of that. Sometimes too up front can be a deterrent to selling. It is a nice bike and a shame you are trying to sell it after straightening it out. Save the Hurley for long legs journeys and the KZ for those short leg eye openers. ;)

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
09 Jul 2009 12:03 #305667 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic My bike just won't sell!!!
Now Craig, that's not what I said... I didn't say you can't find, I only said they're hard/near impossible to find...

OMR[/quote]

yes you did you just don't remember....after that pool toy incident....you speak with forked tongue desert man.......all words are mush with you

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
09 Jul 2009 12:05 #305668 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic My bike just won't sell!!!
Hold your price for now for it's actually worth more than that and for KZ GOD's sake, do not part that beautful KZ...

If you do, I swear, I will fly up there (1 hour from Phoeix) and beat you with a KZ fork .... :angry: :P :laugh:

Seriously, your bike will sell and do agreewith others, remove all that history an shipping (maybe a note that it's their responsibility) BS ... Straight facts only such as 1075cc, cam's, carbs & exhaust... Maybe new tires, outside of that, leave it out....

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az