Diesel motorcycle

• JR
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
05 Jan 2009 13:40 #256294 by JR
Diesel motorcycle was created by JR
Thought this was interesting

December 30, 2008 The Dutch E.V.A. company has been working on both a dieselhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel motorcyclehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcycle and a 2WD system for several years and the two have finally come together, with the release of the EUR 17,500 Track Diesel Motorcycle with adjustable front wheel hydraulic drive system as an optional extra. The 50 bhp in-line three cylinder diesel is both turbocharged and intercooled and offers a whopping 130Nm of torque from 1800 rpm upwards. The CVT (Constantly Variable Transmission) helps the motorcycle keep its revs low and it hence uses very little fuel – 2.1 l/100km at 90 kmh – and is to be marketed as a go-anywhere adventure machine with an appetite for almost any fuel available (it’ll run on PPO), a full aluminium luggage travel system, and a desert-sandhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sand lifting device for lone adventurers.

The bike doesn’t have a ballistic top speed, but at 175 kmh, it’s still getting 4.2 l/100km, and will give very little away in acceleration to sports bikeshttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle due to its muscular bottom end torque. Most importantly, it gets there very frugally, and is to be marketed as a go-anywhere adventure machine with low maintenance (shaft drive included), low seat height and the ability to run on almost any fuel from standard diesel through bio-diesel through to PPO (pure plant oil).

The optional extras include the adjustable front wheel hydraulic drive system, a full aluminium luggage travel system, and a desert-sand lifting device for lone adventurers. The first 250 units of the bike are in production now, and we just can’t help but see this as a perfect military motorcycle. The bike will be unveiled at the Utrecht Dutch motorcycle trade fair in February.

Many of the features incorporated in the bike just make so much sense – it’s a motorcycle that incorporates a crashbar, and the best of all, totally adjustable ergonomics including the ability to reposition the footrests, adjust the seat height and significantly vary the handlebar position. There’s also a progressive LED headlight and tail light/brake light and we’re currently clarifying the functionality of the set-up.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
05 Jan 2009 15:14 #256301 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic Diesel motorcycle
The US military has done some work with a Kawasaki enduro for a couple of years for desert work. The thinking was for all equipment to run on diesel for logistical purposes

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

More
05 Jan 2009 15:57 #256312 by tjhiggin
Replied by tjhiggin on topic Diesel motorcycle
Kawickrice wrote:

The US military has done some work with a Kawasaki enduro for a couple of years for desert work. The thinking was for all equipment to run on diesel for logistical purposes

About a year ago Cycle World did a story about the military diesel bike. It's a modified KLR650 and gets 90-100 miles per gallon. They are being used in Iraq. I would love to have one as a commuter bike. Supposedly the company that is building them for the military is going to market a civilian version, ala Hummer, but I haven't seen any more about it.

T.J. in Huntsville, Alabama
1983 KZ1100-A3, 1974 Honda CB550-4
Previous bikes: CB100, TS125, CB175, KZ400, CB500-4

• Kawickrice
  • User
More
05 Jan 2009 17:00 #256329 by Kawickrice
tjhiggin wrote:

Kawickrice wrote:

About a year ago Cycle World did a story about the military diesel bike. It's a modified KLR650 and gets 90-100 miles per gallon. They are being used in Iraq. I would love to have one as a commuter bike. Supposedly the company that is building them for the military is going to market a civilian version, ala Hummer, but I haven't seen any more about it.

That is the article I saw also. It would be cool to see a civilian version. If its a diesel it will run on french fry oil, with minimal conversion. I have a friend with a VW Rabbit truck converted to french fry grease.

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

More
05 Jan 2009 17:24 #256336 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Diesel motorcycle
you can only use certain types of grease,i bought a machine for making bio diesel from grease but havent had much luck so far.:(

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

• JR
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
05 Jan 2009 18:00 #256342 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Diesel motorcycle
I would be interested in any diesel motorcycle over electric. The one above is an 800cc three cylinder model and seems to make decent power - 175km/hour is over 100mph. The price would have to be a bit beter than 17,500 euros though.

Now ....if ma Kaw came out with a diesel KLR that would be awesome

Speaking of french fry oil one of my cousins has converted his diesel pickup to run on bio diesel.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

• Kawickrice
  • User
More
05 Jan 2009 18:04 #256343 by Kawickrice
PLUMMEN wrote:

you can only use certain types of grease,i bought a machine for making bio diesel from grease but havent had much luck so far.:(

My friend did everything homemade. He made a filter system out of 5 gal buckets and t shirts. What he did was run an auxiliary tank with a solenoid for the grease (not bio diesel). He ran a copper line wraped around his radiator hose (kinda like a liquor still) to preheat the oil, if the oil is heated it WILL burn. When the motor warmed up he switched from the primary tank which is regular diesel, to the auxiliary tank which was filtered grease. On cold starts he started the engine normally with diesel fuel. He had a solenoid to switch back and forth, and had it plumbed to the carb if thats what its called on a diesel engine. Chinese restaurants have cleaner grease because they usually fry eggrolls and such instead of alot of breaded foods like chicken. I was with him on day and the exhaust was smelling like cotton candy because the grease that day came from the local fair. He got 45 to 50 mile per gallon on french fry grease. I would not believe it if I had not of seen it (smelled it) myself.

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
More
05 Jan 2009 18:13 #256344 by z1kzonly
Replied by z1kzonly on topic Diesel motorcycle
My cylinder guy "Jims Cylinder Heads" In Buffalo, NY tried, and ran a top fuel Nitro drag bike in the late 80's on diesel, with a blower and nitromethane!

One camshaft! don't know the particulars, but he managed high 7 second et's. This was the begining of the turn the head around 180 degree's.

Like Elmer Trett, with the "Puppet" Race Visions Bikes"
Exhaust out the back, small GMC blower and NITRO!!!

Brings back memories!! Was in some bike magazines years ago!

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

More
06 Jan 2009 07:18 #256417 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Diesel motorcycle
I sure don't remember any diesel drag bikes, but we'll never see a diesel motorcycle in the USA for many reasons including emissions standards that would be impractical if not impossible to pass and the fact I beleive we are the only country in the entire world that diesel fuel costs nearly twice what gas does.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
08 Jan 2009 07:57 #256703 by image
Replied by image on topic Diesel motorcycle
yeah, fuel's at around $1AUD per litre here in Oz, diesel $1.30AUD.

Those crazy kids at Royal Enfield have been doing a production diesel bike for a fair while haven't they? don't know that it's going to break any records, or that the bike surrounding the engine is exactly commuter standards, but you'd look cool doing it!

'81 KZ750-4 ltd / 810 GPz motor
'84 Suzuki GR650
'01 Ducati 750 Sport / corse pipes + chip

More
08 Jan 2009 08:46 #256706 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Diesel motorcycle
Kawickrice wrote:

PLUMMEN wrote:

My friend did everything homemade. He made a filter system out of 5 gal buckets and t shirts. What he did was run an auxiliary tank with a solenoid for the grease (not bio diesel). He ran a copper line wraped around his radiator hose (kinda like a liquor still) to preheat the oil, if the oil is heated it WILL burn. When the motor warmed up he switched from the primary tank which is regular diesel, to the auxiliary tank which was filtered grease. On cold starts he started the engine normally with diesel fuel. He had a solenoid to switch back and forth, and had it plumbed to the carb if thats what its called on a diesel engine. Chinese restaurants have cleaner grease because they usually fry eggrolls and such instead of alot of breaded foods like chicken. I was with him on day and the exhaust was smelling like cotton candy because the grease that day came from the local fair. He got 45 to 50 mile per gallon on french fry grease. I would not believe it if I had not of seen it (smelled it) myself.

if i can make it work ill definately invest in another diesel pickup i sold my 2005 350 superduty 4x4 back when i quit working the last time.i worry about those shmucks from dot wanting to pull me over to check my tanks on my trucks,so i think ill just buy a pickup truck that i dont pull equipment around with so i dont need dot #s on it.they cant say anything about my skidloaders or backhoes since i dont pay road tax on the offroad fuel to run them.;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

• Kawickrice
  • User
More
08 Jan 2009 10:02 #256712 by Kawickrice
My friend did alot of online research and got it figured out. Most online sites want to sell you a book or video, he was a cheap bastard so he searched and searched for free un till he got enough info. Plummen if you try this out keep us informed on how its going. I find it interesting.

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL