extreme newbie question on shifting.

• crazy homeless guy
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • '81 KZ650 CSR
More
08 Jun 2008 13:24 - 08 Jun 2008 13:26 #218743 by crazy homeless guy
extreme newbie question on shifting. was created by crazy homeless guy
ok. i finally found a kz650 about a months ago that wasn't to far away. i keep a pretty busy schedule, so i haven't had a great deal of time to get to it. that, and this is my first bike, so i didn't even have my permit yet. i go my permit during the week, and this is my first bike is why i am posting.

i hoped on this morning, and did a couple of spins up and down the street, and i just want to make sure i am doing things write. did i mention that i haven't rode any bike in about 17 years.

so, i started off ok, a little jerky, but that can be expected. the bike felt good and solid. i got up to third gear and back down with no problems. well, i was jerking a chirping ever so slightly with each shift. i don't seem to have the timing of things down, and the tach appears to be broke, so that is of no help.

...but my question is actually fairly simple. so i go down 1 for first, then up for second and third and so on. and then back down. so, ...i am confused ass to how to put the bike into neutral. i managed to do it while i was stopped. ...is this the only time you can do it?

again, sorry for such a basic question. i only have my permit, today was my first time on it. i haven't taken the course yet, so that is of no help.

thanks,
travis.

1981 KZ650 CSR
Last edit: 08 Jun 2008 13:26 by crazy homeless guy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• l0g1c
  • User
  • Hanging on for dear life.
More
08 Jun 2008 14:44 - 08 Jun 2008 14:52 #218760 by l0g1c
Replied by l0g1c on topic extreme newbie question on shifting.
Yep, one down, rest are up. As far as neutral goes, I usually go all the way down to first and then give the shifter a little nudge up to get it there. I'm pretty sure I've nudged it into neutral from 2nd, but it's pretty hard (for me) to do on command.

I'm a fairly new rider too and my biggest shifting mistakes are going from first to second (sometimes I would land in neutral and rev the boogers out of it) and trying to get into a higher gear when I've already run out of gears.

Not sure if your bike will be the same, but I've also learned that my 2nd gear has a very distinct sound if you listen for it. That helps me keep track of where I am in the gears.

Congrats on your bike, and make sure to post pictures when you get a chance!

Edit: Just re-read my post and yours and realized I didn't answer the question. Yes, it's possible to put it in neutral with the bike rolling. I do it every time I ride to work :)

'81 KZ750 LTD
'72 CB350K
Omaha, NE
Last edit: 08 Jun 2008 14:52 by l0g1c.

More
08 Jun 2008 15:23 #218766 by Afrosemite
Replied by Afrosemite on topic extreme newbie question on shifting.
Neutral is "half step" between first and second. You can do it while moving, and probably will unintentionally!

\'78 Kz650d sr

• H2RICK
  • User
  • Is this a fun bike, or what!!!
More
08 Jun 2008 16:14 #218777 by H2RICK
Replied by H2RICK on topic extreme newbie question on shifting.
For most people, especially with a bike that needs fettling of the clutch adjuster/cable/etc, it's a lot easier to shift into neutral while the bike is still moving somewhat....say at less than 10 MPH. The other option is to have the engine stopped and then find neutral....but of course that's not an option in traffic.
A "half-a-notch" up from low is usually easier for most people, as posted earlier. The biggest thing is to make sure the clutch lever is pulled all the way back to the handgrip.
Sometimes moving the bike a little bit forward/backward
(with the clutch lever pulled in and engine running) will help too.

KZ650C2 Stock/mint. Goes by "Ace".
H2A Built from a genuine basket case. Yes,it's a hot rod.
GT550A Stock/mint. Pleasant stroker.
2006 Bandit 1200S for easy LD rapid transit
Various H2 projects in the wings.

More
08 Jun 2008 18:28 #218817 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic extreme newbie question on shifting.
I'm surprised no one mentioned this but Kawasaki has an exclusive "neutral finder" Basically after you down shift and come to a stop in first, with the bike NOT moving if you shift up it will ONLY go into neutral and not second. You can also come to a stop in any gear and click down to first with same results. The bike has to be moving for shifter to go in to second so at a stop neutral is very easy to find! :)

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

• PFC FNG
  • User
  • I've got the sickness!!!
More
08 Jun 2008 18:33 #218820 by PFC FNG
Replied by PFC FNG on topic extreme newbie question on shifting.
I usually find first then neutral. First is easier to find (can't shift any lower!)

I know it would not be any fun if it was easy, but does it have to be this much fun?
84 ZX750 GPZ (Waiting for paint)
Eastpoint, Mi

• Limey
  • User
  • 3 Years in the U.K. - Brought the KZ with me!
More
09 Jun 2008 07:30 #218925 by Limey
Replied by Limey on topic extreme newbie question on shifting.
As stated before the "positive neutral finder" is a cool gizmo and works very well - but the bike must be stopped to use it! I think that 1978 was the first year they had it, so earlier bike may still be the "half-shift and hope" trick!

Now try it on an old Triumph with no fancy neutral indicator!

Eric
Newmarket, England (for 3 years)
Pentwater, Michighan (Home)
1978 KZ650
2000 ZG1000
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650

More
09 Jun 2008 09:50 #218944 by ltdrider
Replied by ltdrider on topic extreme newbie question on shifting.
Positive Neutral is a good feature, especially if your neutral light doesn't work. Mine comes and goes.
Normally, it's not a problem, but you might kick into neutral when you meant to go into second. That can be because you're going really slow, and the neutral finder thinks you're still stopped, or because you just didn't use a full kick to get thru neutral and into second. You'll get used to it....

'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

• crazy homeless guy
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • '81 KZ650 CSR
More
09 Jun 2008 20:23 #219060 by crazy homeless guy
Replied by crazy homeless guy on topic extreme newbie question on shifting.
wow, thanks for the input guys. it is an '81, so it will definitely have the positive neutral shifter. good to know. now i just need to learn to shift the thing smoothly.

it goes into the shop tomorrow (or wed.) to have it tuned, and looked over to see what my plan will be for maintainence. everything seems in good shape, but i am sure there is something waiting around the corner for me.

i am placing an order for a Clymer manual now.

1981 KZ650 CSR

• H2RICK
  • User
  • Is this a fun bike, or what!!!
More
10 Jun 2008 07:17 #219107 by H2RICK
Replied by H2RICK on topic extreme newbie question on shifting.
Thanks for that tip, John. Positive neutral finder....I'll have to check it out, if the flippin' rain ever stops. It's absolutely pissing down in sheets right now and is supposed to be like this for 2 solid days.:angry:
I'm still on the lookout for an owner's manual for my C2 that would have stuff like the neutral finder in it. I'm sure it's got a bunch of other stuff in it that would be interesting to know as well.

KZ650C2 Stock/mint. Goes by "Ace".
H2A Built from a genuine basket case. Yes,it's a hot rod.
GT550A Stock/mint. Pleasant stroker.
2006 Bandit 1200S for easy LD rapid transit
Various H2 projects in the wings.

More
10 Jun 2008 16:05 - 07 Feb 2013 03:27 #219202 by KZ250LTD
Replied by KZ250LTD on topic .

79 KZ1000ST
Past:
Many.
Last edit: 07 Feb 2013 03:27 by KZ250LTD.

• PFC FNG
  • User
  • I've got the sickness!!!
More
10 Jun 2008 16:12 #219204 by PFC FNG
Replied by PFC FNG on topic extreme newbie question on shifting.
We don't need him running before he can walk...

I know it would not be any fun if it was easy, but does it have to be this much fun?
84 ZX750 GPZ (Waiting for paint)
Eastpoint, Mi