I need your guy's advice A.S.A.P

• oldkaws4ever
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Have no regrets...... You only live once.
More
11 May 2008 18:55 #212921 by oldkaws4ever
I need your guy's advice A.S.A.P was created by oldkaws4ever
the guy were im storing my 77 kz 650, is being a complete asshole to me. He's under the impression that cause he helped me work on the bike a few times i owe him $500.00 And he won't give me the bike back until i pay him. I was wondering if you guys can point me in a direction of what to do. Should i go to the police with it?, pay him??????? I dont know what to do. Thanks

74 Z1a 900 (Apart and making it better than ever)
77 Kz 650b (Threw a rod, going to sandwich in a 900 or 1000 motor)
76 Kz 400d
05 ninja zx-636
81 Kz 750 Ltd
Darien, Illinois

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pstrbrc
  • User
  • '81 GPz 1100 project
More
11 May 2008 19:02 #212924 by pstrbrc
Replied by pstrbrc on topic I need your guy's advice A.S.A.P
What does he do for a living? IS he a motorcycle mechanic? Did you have any arrangement about storage? Did you ask him to help you, or did he volunteer? Have you checked about Illinois' laws concerning "abandoned vehicles"? You see, if there's nothing in writing about you storing the bike there, under some state laws you not only have to prove you own it, you have to prove you had his permission to leave it there or he can claim abandonment. You could be in deep fertilizer!
:ohmy: :S

\'81 GPz 1100 project
Elkhart, Kansas USA
\"Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him.\" Groucho Marx

More
11 May 2008 19:05 #212927 by reborn650
Replied by reborn650 on topic I need your guy's advice A.S.A.P
oldkaws4ever wrote:

the guy were im storing my 77 kz 650, is being a complete asshole to me. He's under the impression that cause he helped me work on the bike a few times i owe him $500.00 And he won't give me the bike back until i pay him. I was wondering if you guys can point me in a direction of what to do. Should i go to the police with it?, pay him??????? I dont know what to do. Thanks

Let things slide for a day or two until calmer heads prevail. I've learned to never negotiate or make rash decisions when pissed off! Sit down with the guy and talk it out asking him if you ever had agreed on a price for work and storage. You probably shouldn't try to walk away or take the bike without forking over at least something for the guy's effort or at least the storage. Try to find a middle ground that will keep both of you happy and still keep the pride of each of you intact.

As a last case, get a lawyer friend to fire off a letter advising that it wouldn't be in either party's interest to have a long drawn out and expensive process but that you are prepared to take this route to have your rightful property returned. Unless the guy gave you an uprfront price and a formal bill, his word and version of the story doesn't really mean much. As Sam Goldwyn once said.."A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it is written on."

BTW, do you have the title for the bike as this is what is important in the eyes of the law.

Good luck - Colin Firth-Ontario Canada

-1977 Kz650 Custom bought new by brother. Now with 810 kit, GPz750 cams, intake valves, Mikuni 29 smoothbores, velocity stacks, Dyna Igntion, MAC pipe and other goodies.
-1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi Red/Tan
-Toyota FJ Cruiser - 6 speed tank
-2010 Mazda CX-7 Turbo (my bride's)
-1998 Jeep TJ Wrangler 4.0...

• PFC FNG
  • User
  • I've got the sickness!!!
More
11 May 2008 19:21 #212936 by PFC FNG
Replied by PFC FNG on topic I need your guy's advice A.S.A.P
Pay him and find a way to get even later.

I know it would not be any fun if it was easy, but does it have to be this much fun?
84 ZX750 GPZ (Waiting for paint)
Eastpoint, Mi

• oldkaws4ever
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Have no regrets...... You only live once.
More
11 May 2008 19:28 #212937 by oldkaws4ever
Replied by oldkaws4ever on topic I need your guy's advice A.S.A.P
yes i have a title.

74 Z1a 900 (Apart and making it better than ever)
77 Kz 650b (Threw a rod, going to sandwich in a 900 or 1000 motor)
76 Kz 400d
05 ninja zx-636
81 Kz 750 Ltd
Darien, Illinois

More
11 May 2008 19:39 #212940 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic I need your guy's advice A.S.A.P
I like Reborn's 2 cents. Try a calm sit down with him. Depending how long it was stored and how much he worked on it is your matter. Do you agree you should pay him something and he is just being greedy or do you think he deserves nothing? I do think with the title and all you do have the upper hand. But try bargaining before escalation.

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
11 May 2008 19:44 #212942 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic I need your guy's advice A.S.A.P
You could always report it stolen and then a few days later call the popo and say you found it!! :huh:

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
11 May 2008 19:55 #212946 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic I need your guy's advice A.S.A.P
around here that would be a civil matter as far as the money goes but he would have to give your bike back ;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
11 May 2008 22:54 - 07 Feb 2013 03:23 #212980 by KZ250LTD
Replied by KZ250LTD on topic .

79 KZ1000ST
Past:
Many.
Last edit: 07 Feb 2013 03:23 by KZ250LTD.

More
12 May 2008 08:29 #213040 by kawtoy
Replied by kawtoy on topic I need your guy's advice A.S.A.P
Offer him a $100 and tell him that the matter is over. If he does not agree then call the cops, show them the title and keep your $100. He has nothing to show that you had any sort of deal so there is not much he can do about it.

Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

More
12 May 2008 09:06 #213046 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic I need your guy's advice A.S.A.P
kawtoy wrote:

Offer him a $100 and tell him that the matter is over. If he does not agree then call the cops, show them the title and keep your $100. He has nothing to show that you had any sort of deal so there is not much he can do about it.

That's what I would do,BUT...you just never know what he might do to the bike in the meantime:dry: ...

SABOTAGE

If you DO go that route,do NOT let him know that you will be returning with back-up,so he doesn't have a chance to pull anything off,like that.:angry:

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
12 May 2008 10:13 - 04 Dec 2008 06:26 #213064 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
del
Last edit: 04 Dec 2008 06:26 by JMKZHI.