Getting Groceries

More
10 Mar 2008 11:44 #199348 by seanof30306
Getting Groceries was created by seanof30306
I'm transitioning from driving my car to riding my bike as daily transportation.

One problem that has come up is stopping at the grocery store to pick up a few things. I have a messenger bag that I use as a briefcase, but, you can't really fir a gallon of milk into ot.

The other day, I hit on the idea of a newspaper carrier's bag. www.raksystems.com/carrbags.htm

I figure I could fold it up, put it in a plastic bag, and carry it under the seat when I'm not using it.

The thing is, the bag is heavy canvas, has a somewhat stiff bottom, and is not easily stowable.

I'm thinking something like it, only in nylon would work better.

Does anyone have any idea where I might find something like that, or have another idea?

"That @#$%!!! KZ650"
79 KZ650 B3
Dual front disc brakes
Z1R 18" front wheel
Pumper carbs w/pods
MAC 4-1 w/ drilled-out baffle
Dyna S ignition w/ Dyna Green coils
WG coil mod
'81 CSR charging system
17/41 gearing

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Mar 2008 12:05 #199354 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Getting Groceries
Could bungee the entire bagful onto the passenger seat. A WolfTrap should do nicely. Best to have the groceries double-bagged and could be placed into your own lightweight nylon bag for extra security or in case of rain. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
10 Mar 2008 12:10 #199356 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic Getting Groceries
I use my tank bag. It's expandable, and holds a fair bit.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
10 Mar 2008 12:21 - 10 Mar 2008 12:25 #199359 by Patton
[img] Found this picture of the WolfTrap bungee.

Or Not. :(

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 10 Mar 2008 12:25 by Patton.

More
10 Mar 2008 12:26 #199361 by Patton

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
More
10 Mar 2008 13:11 #199364 by Duck
Replied by Duck on topic Getting Groceries
I mounted one of those plastic bins on the bake of my city bike and also have a pair of soft saddle bags. The bin will hold a couple of steaks, bread, salad makings and half a case of beer OR a gallon of milk, fuit, bread, and eggs. With the saddle bags I can fit a whole weeks of groceries but with a bike it's easier to shop every day and get what looks best for dinner.

It's a thrill when a 4 pack of ass wipe falls out from under the bungee and gets jammed between your rear wheel and the frame. Getting a bungee tangled up in the rear wheel is pretty exciting too.

More
10 Mar 2008 13:47 #199372 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Getting Groceries
Get a good napsack/backpack. You can even color coordinate to your bike.:huh: If item(s) is/are heavy loosen so it sits on back seat. I also have one of wifes old huge denim shoulder handbags that a gallon of milk just fits in. :kiss: Punch anyone in the head that makes fun of it or swing it at them.:angry:B)

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
10 Mar 2008 14:18 #199378 by ronjones
Replied by ronjones on topic Getting Groceries
For years I had a good quality, heavy codura nylon daypack, the shoulder straps just wrapped around the sissy bar. If it was a heavy load I pulled out the bungees from the pack, and bungee'd it immoble. Never had a spill. Could even wear it on your back. I never liked the over one shoulder types of packs. Besides always being off center, they like to move, blow, bounce around. I think something light/thin enough to stow under your seat will be too light for something heavy like milk...or beer.

'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

More
10 Mar 2008 18:00 #199422 by seanof30306
Replied by seanof30306 on topic Getting Groceries
Thanks for the responses.

So far, I'm still leaning towards the paperboy's bag.

I have a Wolf Trap bungee. It works well, but doesn't hold much.

The backpack sounds like a good idea, but it wouldn't be storable on the bike.

I tend to stop by the grocery store on the way home from work, picking up a couple of bag's worth of stuff. More than would fit under the wolf trap, but it looks like it would fit in the paperboy's bag easily, with no danger of spillage.

I live less than a mile from the grocery store, so riding with the bag slung over my shoulder is not that big a deal. I'm driving home at 2am, so there is no traffic.

I'm also thinking I could fold the paperboy's bag up, put it in a plastic bag, and stow it under the seat.

The other thing that occurred to me this afternoon is that it will help me be a little greener, too.

One of the reasons I'm going to the bike as my daily commuter is to leave a smaller carbon footprint. I see myself and so many other people driving down the road all by themselves in ton-and-a-half vehicles, and it just seems so wasteful. Yes, I'll save money, too, but it'll be years before those savings will offset what I have invested in the bike, even if gas goes to 4 or 5 bucks a gallon. At 3.00 a gallon, I'm only saving about 9.00 a week; at 5.00 a gallon I'll save 17.50 a week. So far, I have over 3 grand in the bike.

Another thing that bothers me is all the plastic bags that get used once, then thrown out. I've been saving them and taking them to be recycled, but, with the paperboy's bag, I can stop using them altogether.

I just wish I could find one in nylon, or some other more durable material that would do better being stored underneath the seat.

"That @#$%!!! KZ650"
79 KZ650 B3
Dual front disc brakes
Z1R 18" front wheel
Pumper carbs w/pods
WG coil mod
'81 CSR charging system
17/41 gearing

More
10 Mar 2008 18:42 #199438 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic Getting Groceries
Hmmmm, sidecar? :whistle:

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

More
10 Mar 2008 19:30 #199448 by stallau
Replied by stallau on topic Getting Groceries
I bought a nice set of expandable saddlebags for just that reason. I usually stop for milk or other small items on my way home from work and plan to utilize them for that purpose. I just got my '83 550 so I don't know what the mileage will be but compare to my ranger at about 27 I should be able to pay for the bike pretty quickly.

More
10 Mar 2008 20:53 - 10 Mar 2008 21:20 #199454 by seanof30306
Replied by seanof30306 on topic Getting Groceries
Here's the problem with savings on gas. It's not as much as you think.

Look at my situation. I drive about 8000 miles per year (150 per week)

Let's say I ride my bike for ALL of them (which I clearly won't be able to)

My Jeep Cherokee averages 20 mpg. That means I'll burn 400 gallons of gas per year (8000 miles / 20 mpg).

So far, my KZ650 gets 36 mpg. Now, I've yet to get any serious riding since we've gotten it running properly, and I've also changed the gearing. Let's use 40 mpg, for now. At 40 mpg, that means I'll use 200 gallons of gas, instead of 400 (8000 miles per year / 40 mpg). That's a savings of 200 gallons per year.

At 3.00 per gallon, I save 600 per year.

At 4.00 per gallon, I save 800 per year.

My actual savings will be less, because I will still drive my Jeep when it's cold, raining, etc. Even in good weather, I'll drive it at least once every other week, just to avoid the deterioration that comes from letting a vehicle sit up idle.

Even at 4.00 per gallon, and the best case scenario of saving 800 per year, I have over 3000 in the bike (so far), so it'll be 4 years before I see any real savings.

Now, your bike should get better mileage (KZ550 should do 50+, shouldn't it?), and you may drive more miles per year, so you may save more. What mileage does your Ranger get, how many miles per week/year do you drive, and what mileage does your KZ550 get?

In my case, I'm replacing one toy (My Formula Firebird) with another (my KZ650), and I should be able to recoup most, if not all of the money I've put into my bike from the sale of the Firebird and all the parts I have stockpiled for it, so, I'll actually see savings sooner than the 3+ years it would take to recoup my costs normally. If someone's not in that kind of situation, though, buying a bike just to save money on gas is not financially smart, unless your car gets REALLY bad mileage, you drive A LOT of miles, or both.

"That @#$%!!! KZ650"
79 KZ650 B3
Dual front disc brakes
Z1R 18" front wheel
Pumper carbs w/pods
WG coil mod
'81 CSR charging system
17/41 gearing
Last edit: 10 Mar 2008 21:20 by seanof30306.