I \"stole\" a trailer

More
04 Jan 2008 18:11 #187687 by inline4
I \"stole\" a trailer was created by inline4
Since I purchased a 1976 Honda 550K and had to rent a truck to travel 6 hours one-way to retrieve it, AND have since bought TWO 550Ks and a CB200 from one seller and was at the mercy of a friend to haul them back for me, I diligently started looking for a reasonably priced trailer.
Man, did I hit the motherlode!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
On craigslist I saw a posting for a 5x10 trailer with a 4-foot fold down ramp that had a selling price of only $550. I replied to his ad (no reply) then called him the next day (of course I had to leave a message). By this time I was fearing that he had already sold it.
About an hour after I got to work the seller left me a message on my cell phone. I returned his call and I found out that the trailer was at a storage facility less than a mile from where I work.
I go to check it out and was blown away as to the superb condition it was in. Three brand new tires (a spare), a brand new looking jack and not a scratch on the trailer ANYWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Of course it was fully wired , but the best part of it was is that the seller is a customer of mine! (I'm in the retail wine and spirits business, and have been for more than 25 years).
I can't help but feel I must be livin' right.
I can't pick it up until Wednesday because I can not get a Class 3 hitch installed on my Element until Wednesday morning.
The wife wasn't real pleased until I told her that it would be great for hauling mulch and top-soil this spring. She has since gotten over it!
I'll post pics as soon as I get it home.
Oh yea; I also have to learn how to back this trailer. I've never done it before in my 53+ years. Fortunately there is a huge WalMart parking lot a couple of miles from my house. I'll get it down in no time!
Anyway, I'm psyched and just wanted to share.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jan 2008 18:33 #187691 by steell
Replied by steell on topic I \"stole\" a trailer
Assuming that's a short trailer since it's a single axle, one bit of advice, "Back very slowly".

The shorter the trailer the harder it is to back, a 53' trailer is a piece of cake compared to a little single axle :D

Ok, one more piece of advice (couldn't resist), put one hand on the bottom of the wheel and turn it the direction you want the trailer to go. I have backed up various size trailers hundreds (probably thousands) of times and I don't do it that way, but I raed about it and tried it, and it is pretty easy.

KD9JUR

More
04 Jan 2008 18:53 #187694 by inline4
Replied by inline4 on topic I \"stole\" a trailer
Thanks steell.
I have read tips about backing a trailer. Can't wait for my first attempt!:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
Oh yea. Where the hell am I going to park this thing once I get it home??????????????:ohmy: :woohoo: :woohoo:

More
04 Jan 2008 19:20 #187700 by flht1997
Replied by flht1997 on topic I \"stole\" a trailer
I also bought a trailer from Craigslist, about a year ago. a 4'x8' harbor freight cheapy. i got it for 100 dollars and could not be happier. even with a truck, i will take the trailer to get a bike, no heavy lifting :). does get you in alot of trouble though with the lady. they do not like to hear, "i'll just throw it on the trailer, it'll be fine"
i would recommend, checking and greasing the wheel bearings first off, never can tell what the previous owner did, and you dont want to be the guy on the side of the road with a seized wheel.

Matt Milwaukee, WI
75' KZ400, (5) 78' KZ400, 76' KZ 750, 78' KZ650
78'CB750F, 78' CB550K
89' BMW R100RT
05' H-D Electra Glide
06' KLR650
Do it right or don't bother doing it at all.

More
04 Jan 2008 20:27 #187708 by z1rick
Replied by z1rick on topic I \"stole\" a trailer
Congrats on the trailer! Sounds like a great deal. Don't sweat the backing up, once you do it a few times it gets easy.

Anaheim CA
1999 KZ 100P
1974 Z1 900 Project
1977 (2) KZ 650 projects

More
05 Jan 2008 09:48 #187763 by Rich
Replied by Rich on topic I
flht1997 wrote:

I also bought a trailer from Craigslist, about a year ago. a 4'x8' harbor freight cheapy. i got it for 100 dollars and could not be happier. even with a truck, i will take the trailer to get a bike, no heavy lifting :). does get you in alot of trouble though with the lady. they do not like to hear, "i'll just throw it on the trailer, it'll be fine"
i would recommend, checking and greasing the wheel bearings first off, never can tell what the previous owner did, and you dont want to be the guy on the side of the road with a seized wheel.

I have one of those too, and hauled my KLR on it back and forth to Oklahoma while I was essentially living there the past couple of years. Those things are great for the bucks you spend. It's payed for itself so many times ove the past 12 years or so when I had to move, haul off yard debris, move bikes, etc., and didn't have to rent a U-Haul. I think they say it's good for 1100 lbs, I doubt I've ever come close to that except for once. It is tough to back up it being so short and low so you can't see it.

More
05 Jan 2008 09:58 #187767 by 2M4Dale
Replied by 2M4Dale on topic I
I have two trailers and don't think I could get by without them. One is an 18' dual axle, utillity that I haul cars on, mostly Fieros. It has ramps, tool box and a winch. And the other one is a six footer that's great for a quad or even two bikes. Once you've started using yours reguarly you'll love it !!! Nice find !!!

Hello from Sunny Mansfield, Ohio
1980 KZ750H1 LTD
1981 KZ750H2 LTD

More
07 Jan 2008 07:53 #188117 by inline4
Replied by inline4 on topic I
Guys:
I'll be parking the trailer in front of the house 'till spring. I live in a decent neighborhood, but I'm sure there will be some temptation from the drive-bys to get themselves a nice trailer.
Any suggestions on how to keep it in my possession? I've seen some wheel locks on ebay but was wondering what you guys suggest.
Thanks,
Jim

More
07 Jan 2008 08:27 #188119 by Talman
Replied by Talman on topic I
Take a 3 inch steel bar and drive it into the ground about 2 feet. Buy two thick metal chains and one pad lock. Wrap one chain around the pipe and through the trailer and attach the padlock. Wrap the end of the other chain around the base of the pole. Buy a rabid, vicious guard dog and forget to attach him to the other end of the chain. Should protect your investment fine.

1976 KZ 400 (Free, free, free...needs major work)
2004 Intruder Volusia
ex- 1976 KZ 400 Hot rod (Owned by return2ridin before me and Wolfencopter after me. Does anyone have it now
?)
ex- 1978 KZ 200
Bergen County, NJ

Aint no time to hate....barely time to wait

More
07 Jan 2008 08:48 #188122 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic I
Well Jim:

Parked on the road (with no attachment to anything) is merely an invitation. Find an acquaintance and park it their backyard. I know a number of people who have lost trailers because they thought they were in a 'safe' area and weren't chained down. The police don't expend much energy looking for small stolen flatbed trailers.

Post edited by: Mcdroid, at: 2008/01/07 11:49

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
07 Jan 2008 08:53 #188126 by flht1997
Replied by flht1997 on topic I
you could take the wheels off :)

Matt Milwaukee, WI
75' KZ400, (5) 78' KZ400, 76' KZ 750, 78' KZ650
78'CB750F, 78' CB550K
89' BMW R100RT
05' H-D Electra Glide
06' KLR650
Do it right or don't bother doing it at all.

More
07 Jan 2008 09:41 #188129 by OnkelB
Replied by OnkelB on topic I

77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.