Modular Helmet?

More
03 Oct 2007 09:51 #174357 by jul3z
Replied by jul3z on topic Modular Helmet?
I think everyone should get a fur covered helmet like this:
:silly:

Kinda looks like donald trump

Post edited by: jul3z, at: 2007/10/03 12:51
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Oct 2007 10:01 #174358 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Modular Helmet?
jul3z wrote:

I think everyone should get a fur covered helmet like this:

:silly:

Kinda looks like donald trump<br><br>Post edited by: jul3z, at: 2007/10/03 12:51

Or an Anorakian. :lol:

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
03 Oct 2007 12:23 #174379 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic Modular Helmet?
i also have the hjc modular helmet and all i can say is everyone is right.
you might look like a dork when you flip it up but it is the easiest helmet to put on and at a red light you can flip it for a smoke or just spit or whatever.
i paid $180 for mine and i love it more than my shoei

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

• riverroad
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
03 Oct 2007 12:43 #174383 by riverroad
Replied by riverroad on topic Modular Helmet?
I think they're pretty cool for all the above mentioned reasons, but be careful. As Iowakz pointed out above, not only would it pull back on your head while riding with it up, it's also possible for the thing to cause a crash. Years ago, I had an old Arthur Fulmer full face helmet that had this really annoying habit of letting the visor flip up during speed. Thing about broke my neck a few times. Back then there weren't any detents allowing only limited movement of the visor. So when just a slight draft would catch under the visor and flip it up, turning your helmet into a drag chute.
I still have that old helmet. Was thinking about making a Mad Max replica helmet out of it. But instead of the visor, I'd use goggles, like the guy in the movie.

More
03 Oct 2007 12:51 #174385 by flht1997
Replied by flht1997 on topic Modular Helmet?
oh! the other thing i did like about my flip up was when riding into the sun the HJC was stiff enough that you could put it anywhere and it would stay, and it was an awesome sun visor. i never had a problem riding with it up.

Matt Milwaukee, WI
75' KZ400, (5) 78' KZ400, 76' KZ 750, 78' KZ650
78'CB750F, 78' CB550K
89' BMW R100RT
05' H-D Electra Glide
06' KLR650
Do it right or don't bother doing it at all.

More
03 Oct 2007 13:26 #174392 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Modular Helmet?
So when your down they LOOK normal? I won't be riding with it up so that is not a problem, as someone mentioned I wonder about the release mech lasting? Once that breaks the helmet is junk. I like the idea but may stick with the ole solid. Will check out Hjc tho...:)

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
03 Oct 2007 14:31 #174402 by conpewter
Replied by conpewter on topic Modular Helmet?
I love the flip-up helmets. I was wearing one back in may when I got hit, but I hit the back of my head (which the helmet nicely absorbed) so no good test on how it does with a faceplant.

Anyway I bought another modular helmet, great for putting on glasses. This one actually has a slide out sort of inside sunglasses visor. Hard to describe but the face shield works the same as the rest of them, just another part that slides out of the area over the forehead that will help with some sunlight but not cover the whole viewing area.

We'll see how it works when I'm back on the road.

More
04 Oct 2007 03:18 #174484 by gpzrox
Replied by gpzrox on topic Modular Helmet?
Make sure that you buy a helmet that fits right first. The sizes and shapes seem to vary so much now days that I am amazed. I went to the cycle shop and tried on 3-4 different brands, all fit my head different.

I found out that one of the cheaper ones fit me right, the $129 Vega. Got my Altura for like $75 new and has served me well for 3 years. But it is not a modular, I looked at them, they were ok, safety seemed ok now compared to years ago. If I wore glasses or still smoked, I would be all over one.

But check the fit at the store, then you will be able to search online for the price if you want. And newenough.com has some interesting closeouts all the time.

84 GPZ750. Modded with stock Kawasaki parts: ZR-7 shock, ZX-6 coils, GPZ1100 throttle, EN454 brake, GPZ900 fuse box, etc. and non stock: Ken Sears mirrors, K&N filter, Pirelli Sport Demons.

More
04 Oct 2007 05:15 #174496 by Wilde
Replied by Wilde on topic Modular Helmet?
Hi, I have the AGV helmet in Your picture and I quite like it but my experiences with newer helmets are limited indeed. You do look lika an ass with the front up but other it looks like any other fullface helmet. The mechanism in mine feels quite solid but who knows in a crash. The very nice feature is the very easy on and off and to be able to speak without removing the helmet. (I also got a very nice price) It is not really possible to ride with it open over 50 km/h, and also You will have to accept kids laughing at You.

More
04 Oct 2007 09:17 #174523 by btchalice
Replied by btchalice on topic Modular Helmet?

Terry Meyer / Wichita KS
76 kz900 w/1000 motor TWZTD
I am not driving too fast, I'm flying too low.

More
04 Oct 2007 13:02 #174556 by patmann
Replied by patmann on topic Modular Helmet?
Is it just me??:huh: Why would anybody ride with the modular helmet open/ up????:blink: Even my 13 year old son doesn't do that.

1974 900 Z1 modified to look like a LTD , some engine mods. But I still have all the original parts.
1977 1000 project bike
1972 H1 project bike
If pro is opposite of con, then what is the opposite of progress?

More
04 Oct 2007 14:22 #174570 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic Modular Helmet?
No matter what, a person looks dorky in a helmet, that's why so many riders prefer to go lidless. But, the name of the game is balancing your safety with convenience. I traded the D rings for a quick release that was Snell certified.

I saw some folks at one of the gas stations in town this summer and some of the them had flip-ups. It looked like a convenient way to be able to chat at a quick stop without having to remove and rebuckle the lid. But, if having a Snell certified helmet is one of your criteria, then I think a flip-up doesn't qualify as I don't think Snell has certified any.

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )