Going Shoppin! ?s on '82 kz750-H3/4

More
17 Sep 2007 11:48 #171132 by apeman
Replied by apeman on topic Going Shoppin! ?s on '82 kz750-H3/4
I agree, that is not a bad price, considering the mileage and the condition of the bike. It looks far better than most 25 year old bikes.

I bought an owner's manual through the Kawasaki website. I think it was under $10, delivered via USPS.

The only difference I have been able to detect from the earlier model KZ750H bikes is that yours has a one-piece seat. The earlier ones have a two piece seat.

You will likely want to change the handlebars -- many of us use the "superbike" bars, rather than the stock mini "apehangers".

Have fun, and ride it as much as you can. There are many more miles left in that bike than you are likely to ride in a decade.
/

Petaluma and Truckee, CA -- member since Jan. 23, 2003;
PREVIOUS KZs: 1980 KZ750H with 108,000 miles; 1980 KZ750E with 28,000 miles; and KZ750H street/cafe project, all sold a few years back.

This is what I do for fun, not for work. It is art, with a little engineering thrown in.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Sep 2007 12:36 #171140 by Link14
Replied by Link14 on topic Going Shoppin! ?s on '82 kz750-H3/4
Thanks apeman, I'll check out the Kaw website.

Yesterday I did all my chores like a good boy and snuck out in the afternoon to check it out. Battery's most likely gonna be replaced...wouldn't take a charge at all :angry: . Put the 400's battery in and finished checking the bike out. Noticed the the vacuum line had a complete kink in it. Shortened line (which is gonna make it hard to take the tank off alot)and pulled the air filter in case I needed to spray a little starter juice.

Engine started on the third try:woohoo: :woohoo: . Ran for about 30 seconds and then I noticed gas pouring into the airbox from carb #3. After a couple of "gentle" taps on the bowl I started it again with no gas pouring out. Man was I in heaven. I'd been sweating a thrown rod or some other major damage. Definitely going to need to look at the carbs though, looking at the exhaust, I'm probably running rich. Also, when I rev'd it the engine started to run away on the RPM's too.

Of course, when the wife got hope I proudly went out to start it and the starter would barely turn over
:S :blush:. Looks like I'm going to have to look at the electrical system too. Wife shakes head and goes inside.

Oh well, I figured this was going to be a winter project. I'll apologize in advance for all the 750-4 questions I'm going to have.

More
18 Sep 2007 12:54 #171363 by cafekz750
Replied by cafekz750 on topic Going Shoppin! ?s on '82 kz750-H3/4
Congratulations on the bike purchase!B)
I own a '81 KZ750H2 and I have owned an '80H1 and '82H3 as well. I must say I really like this model a lot. I have been riding my '81 for the last 10 years and have not gotten tired of it. It is a nice blend of power and weight. I have commuted to work on it and have taken cross country trips on it as well. Great bike, enjoy!

1981 KZ750H2 - V&H 4-1 pipe, pods, jetted, clubmans, homebrew rearsets, 18" rear wheel and more.
Parting out a 1982 KZ750H3 to fund future projects
2 other non-Kawasaki motorcycles