Understanding crotch rockets

More
06 Sep 2007 18:38 #169068 by KawasakiJockey
Replied by KawasakiJockey on topic Understanding crotch rockets
Just think that 30 years ago some old bastard on an Idian took somebody's Z1 for a little ride and just about said the same thing...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Sep 2007 18:59 #169074 by circusnuts
Replied by circusnuts on topic Understanding crotch rockets
I do like the KZ, but I really really miss my 2004 ZX10. The new house doesn't have a garage, so I thought I would sell before it got stolen (just outside of DC).

www.circusnuts.com/wetday_RightFront.jpg

Once I'm able to add onto the house, I'm hoping to pickup a new ZX10 or R1. I must say, the SV1000 looks like a great bike as well (better riding position for clearer rear view).

More
06 Sep 2007 21:33 #169117 by John68
Replied by John68 on topic Understanding crotch rockets
Wow I suck...

Ok, maybe I underestimated the SV1000s, and maybe it had something to do with the handle bars not beign set-up correctly. (The previous owner didn't notice how ass it was to ride with the bars like that. I found a detent setting that they lock into, and they weren't where they were supposed to be)

anyhow...

I took a 30-40 mile ride on the SV tonight with the bars adjusted correctly. It was tolerable to a certain extent. Then, I came home and parked the bike in teh garage. The whole garage smells like new burnt paint now. I love that new bike smell. After that, I hoped on GargantuChet's KZ650 and fired it up to move it up to the side porch of the house for the night. Well, I was so used to the SV that I almost layed his bike over. I pulled a leg muscle pretty well, but didn't let the bike drop. I am just stunned at how clumsy that KZ650 feels after spending time on the SV. I felt like a total ass about almost dropping his bike. I just couldn't believe I forgot how to ride so quickly. It's different muscles for sure, and I guess once I get a few hundred miles on teh bike, I might actually find that I like it.

The seat will have to go, though. I hear everyone on teh SV forum complaining about the stock seat. IT feels like I am sitting on a concrete block. Oh, and the ergonomics of the clip ons is just terrible. because of the angle they are pointed, it puts strain on the wrists. They need to be angled down more to allow for a more natural Radial/Ulna position. As a drummer/guitarist/mando/banjo/fiddle player, I know all about how hand positioning can really do serious nerve damage, if not proper.

Anyhow, I just wanted to say that I won't completely discount these crotch rockets, but I would like to own a new standard bike instead. The SV1000S is a pretty serious machine, and a slight twitch of the right wrist can make a 10 mph difference before you can say, "speed trap." That's a little more than I need for the street.