• Page:

TOPIC:

Cheap Jackets 09 Jul 2007 12:00 #155689

• fishybass
  • fishybass's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi all,

I am a newbie looking into clothing and wanted your thoughts.

I've had friends tell me to buy leather because you would rather have the jacket wearing against the pavement than your skin. Sure, good point.

But, I want to wear something bright for visibility, want something that can breathe because I sweat badly in summer, and am trying to pay no more than $150. So fabric seems like a reasonable choice. But is it durable?

Any recommendations on brands, websites, fabric choice, etc.?
Are there typically big sales in motorcycle gear at the end of summer?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Cheap Jackets 09 Jul 2007 12:09 #155690

• unkle fester
  • User
www.newenough.com look under closeouts...then textile jackets....helluva deals

Cheap Jackets 09 Jul 2007 12:47 #155703

• Virii
  • User
  • I like cheese
  • Thank you received: 1
I've personally really grown attached to kevlar . Breathes well, it's comfortable, light. You can wear it under an overshirt and put a safety vest on over that which makes the transition out of your gear quick and painless.

It's resilient enough to be implimented thinner, but many people find they prefer something thicker for piece of mind. I believe that regardless of how physically comfortable you are and how much people will tell you you're protected, if you aren't emotionally comfortable, that's reason enough to keep looking.

Denim offers practically no real protection, so if that's a concern, going kevlar means you'd also be looking at kevlar lined jeans and the combo puts you around the $200 range for one set.

Post edited by: Virii, at: 2007/07/09 15:49
Tess: 1977 KZ650-C1. VM24, 97.5/15/3rd. Dyna-S. Stock exhaust, coil mod performed, BR7EIX.

Angel: 1982 GPz550. Stock. DR8EIX.

Cheap Jackets 09 Jul 2007 14:29 #155725

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
  • Thank you received: 7
Virii wrote:

I've personally really grown attached to kevlar . ....

I tell you what - after seeing/reading the product testing page on the site in your link, I'm a believer....

fishybass wrote:

...I want to wear something bright for visibility, want something that can breathe because I sweat badly in summer, and am trying to pay no more than $150. So fabric seems like a reasonable choice. But is it durable?

Any recommendations on brands, websites, fabric choice, etc.?
Are there typically big sales in motorcycle gear at the end of summer?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Visibility? Buy a yellow helmet and orange jacket (partially kidding). In my opinion, visibility from the front is the most important.
Fabric, or "textile" is a great choice for a first jacket. You can get them relatively cheap, and they are very versatile.
I've always bought from NewEnough.com. Great people, great stuff, great prices.
Don't wait until the end of the season. You could fall before then. That isn't worth the few dollars you could save. I've never really noticed a seasonal price change anyway, after all, people in Texas *start* wearing jackets in winter, right? ;)

Post edited by: Biquetoast, at: 2007/07/09 17:33
(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

Cheap Jackets 09 Jul 2007 15:08 #155737

• Z1R rider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
A friend of my boys looped his gixxer at about 60 mph and landed on his butt and hands. Hands had leather gloves and butt had fabric;

His butt and upper legs lost a layer or two of skin and his hands were fine, I didn't take pictures of his jacket but it was fabric and his forarms and elbows lost a little skin.
I personaly have leather and yep it's hot at 80 degrees when stopped and hot at 95 when moving.

that's the seat of the pants!!:woohoo:

Post edited by: Z1R rider, at: 2007/07/09 18:12
1978 KZ1000, Z1R
1999 250 Ninja race bike
2013 WR250F, fun in the dirt
Attachments:

Cheap Jackets 09 Jul 2007 15:11 #155738

• Z1R rider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
oops, missed the gloves, posted two of the pants.:S
1978 KZ1000, Z1R
1999 250 Ninja race bike
2013 WR250F, fun in the dirt
Attachments:

Cheap Jackets 09 Jul 2007 21:11 #155826

• fishybass
  • fishybass's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
Thanks guys for the tips. That is a website I have not seen yet. Good fun!!

I found this website
www.leatherup.com/

cheap, cheap, cheap...
anyone ever use them?

Cheap Jackets 09 Jul 2007 21:48 #155830

• Virii
  • User
  • I like cheese
I've bought a number of leather items from them. They do good on the service end and do extremely easy returns and exchanges...and that's good because their sizes are all over the board.

I'm 5'9", 185. My pants are 30 and I wear shirts in medium's (except at Old Navy where I'm usually either a small or a large depending on the style)

Leatherup doesn't have dependable sizing advice, but 3/4 of what I've gotten from them has run large.......very large. Prime example, my primary jacket right now is a hip length (incidentally, on clearance at leatherup for somewhere in the $60 range). Has a really nice zip out liner but I've returned and downsized twice. I'm wearing their smallest and I'm still swimming in it.

Otherwise, it's resilient yet very soft and very weather resistant.

A word of advice, however. If you opt for leather, be certain to respect the hide. It's natural and organic and needs to be properly cared for in order to maintain it's look and protective qualities. Get some good leather care products (Dr Martin's Wonder Balsam has always done me well and a small amount lasts forever and hell, goes great on leather seats and those steel toed boots you're wearing too!). A number of sources indicate that each time leather (unprotected leather, in particular) is wet and subsequently dries, it can lose up to 20% of it's tear and abbrasion resistance.

Take that in perspective, you're still far better off than denim even after a year of abuse but if all you have to do is give it a good rubdown every now and then......why not just take the few minutes?

Post edited by: Virii, at: 2007/07/10 11:20
Tess: 1977 KZ650-C1. VM24, 97.5/15/3rd. Dyna-S. Stock exhaust, coil mod performed, BR7EIX.

Cheap Jackets 09 Jul 2007 21:52 #155831

• Virii
  • User
  • I like cheese
btw, I also have that hip length in medium and extra large if either of those sizes work for you. I kept them around for potential passengers who came ill equipped but they really never get used.

Post edited by: Virii, at: 2007/07/10 00:53

Cheap Jackets 10 Jul 2007 06:04 #155888

• conpewter
  • User
I've only been riding for a while but I've already taken one spill. I was hit by a car while stopped at a light so I did slip along the ground some but not a whole lot. Jeans got torn up, even my shirt somehow got torn up but my jacket had nary a scratch on it.

I have a "PowerTrip" jacket, it has the armor in the back/elbows/shoulders etc. and has perforated leather over the wear sections, just mesh on the chest. It lets a fair amount of air through and yet protected me very well. Cost about $190 and very worth it.

I actually need to look into some leather care products, that's a good idea

Cheap Jackets 11 Jul 2007 03:32 #156076

• gpzrox
  • User
If I was in the market again, and lived where it is hotter than 90 most days, I'd look heavily into Bohn body armor. Shoot, I want some anyway.
Google it. You'll see.

Side note: both of my jackets, one mesh (Joe Rocket) and one textile (Icon) have soft armor, but hard armor is available and can be retrofitted in with little to no hassle. I'm not sure which I like better, soft or hard, but both are better than bare skin.
84 GPZ750. Modded with stock Kawasaki parts: ZR-7 shock, ZX-6 coils, GPZ1100 throttle, EN454 brake, GPZ900 fuse box, etc. and non stock: Ken Sears mirrors, K&N filter, Pirelli Sport Demons.

Cheap Jackets 11 Jul 2007 04:21 #156082

• circusnuts
  • User
New Enough is liquidating their Vanson line. I'd check with them first.

I have owned a lot of gear and I must say that Vanson takes the prize as the very best (FirstGear #2 -- fits me best).

Try the Hurrican (perf leather) or Lightning (partially perf leather with vents) in Solar. The material is white during the day and glows at night.

I know what it's like to shop on a budget, but there is simply no place for it what it comes to safety.

HTH
Phil

Post edited by: circusnuts, at: 2007/07/11 07:21

• Page: