Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Finally Took The 810 For A Rip:) 10 Jun 2007 21:51 #148199

• reborn650
  • reborn650's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Hey Gang - After having an endless run of crap luck with the bike lately I finally got everything back together and took the 650/810 out for a late evening squirt in the cool night air.

I spent the weekend taking care of a very tiny oil leak around the base gasket, smoothed out a couple of tiny ridges where the carb boots mate with the intake runners on the head and backed out the air screws from 1/4 to a full turn. I also moved the carb clips up one notch to lean out the motor and rechecked valve clearances - cold.

Holy sh******tttt, does this thing ever pull with the new WG smoothbores and the GPz cams. It surprised me how strong the bike pulls.

I musta nailed the perfect combo because the old girl sure came to life with my fine tuning (or tinkering, depending on who you ask.) It was quick last summer but this thing will now make anyone's arms sore trying to hang on and there is no weak point in the almost linear powerband.

When I first thought about building a middleweight sleeper that would haul the mail, this is exactly what I envisioned and recommend this combo to anyone looking to build a powerful little middleweight.

Can't wait till I make it to the 1/8 mile drags next month. Last year I ran in the high 8's with a flat spot, this year I expect I'll be solidly in the 7's.

Cheers-Colin Firth-Ontario Canada
-1977 Kz650 Custom bought new by brother. Now with 810 kit, GPz750 cams, intake valves, Mikuni 29 smoothbores, velocity stacks, Dyna Igntion, MAC pipe and other goodies.
-1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi Red/Tan
-Toyota FJ Cruiser - 6 speed tank
-2010 Mazda CX-7 Turbo (my bride's)
-1998 Jeep TJ Wrangler 4.0...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Finally Took The 810 For A Rip:) 10 Jun 2007 21:58 #148204

• wireman
  • Visitor
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :P

Finally Took The 810 For A Rip:) 11 Jun 2007 05:27 #148242

• BSKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
way cool, now with all that new power how about the rear tire, is it going to hold up?
more money
77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

Finally Took The 810 For A Rip:) 11 Jun 2007 06:24 #148261

• kawtoy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
BSKZ650 wrote:

way cool, now with all that new power how about the rear tire, is it going to hold up?
more money

Now is when the money starts flowing even more. New larger tire is a must. You will spend a ton on gas because you will be having too much fun to let up on the throttle. You will need a nice camera, both still and video. You can add hotel charges to the bill because you want to point the bike in any direction and just go till you get tired. I would allow for about $600 in speeding tickets. Since you will be spending so much time riding and tinkering with the bike you will need to get your wife lots of flowers and jewelry. Make sure you account for the beer and wings you will be consuming at the local watering hole. Yep, the money just never stops leaving the wallet with these bikes.
Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

Finally Took The 810 For A Rip:) 11 Jun 2007 10:09 #148353

• reborn650
  • User
You guys are way over the top:)

My 130 Bridgestone has probably 90 percent left and since I am not a guy that likes to light up the tire off the line (exept on the rare occaision) I should be good for the summer.

As far as the tickets, well, I will have to keep an eye on that one.

Last summer I got nailed and luckily the police officer (a beautiful sleek example of our local law enforcement agency) let me go. She saw me pin it coming out of a local coffee shop and came after me. The roads were clear and relatively abandoned so I was checking out some redline shifting.

Well, she caught me about a mile down the road and said she had to do 70 mph to catch me. Given my basic education in physics and the laws of motion, I didn't think it was appropriate to tell her that if she was doing 70 and caught me, then I must have been going slower than that. Anyhow I was just rolling off the throttle when she came up behind me with the siren wailing. and

Because I was wearing a newer style helmet and my Joe Rocket leather jacket she probably thought I was just another young punk. When she saw my driver's licence, age and realised I was just a middle-aged punk she kinda chuckled and gave me a lecture.

Gotta learn some self-control this summer because officer friendly might not be so understanding the next time around:)

-1977 Kz650 Custom bought new by brother. Now with 810 kit, GPz750 cams, intake valves, Mikuni 29 smoothbores, velocity stacks, Dyna Igntion, MAC pipe and other goodies.

Finally Took The 810 For A Rip:) 11 Jun 2007 11:08 #148380

• kawtoy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
But if she was that cute it might just be worth the price of a few tickets and a day in court just to get a few more minutes with her. Just be careful not the get the speeding tickets bumped up to a sexual misconduct charge.
Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

Finally Took The 810 For A Rip:) 11 Jun 2007 11:25 #148387

• godsjester71
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Can't you get sick eating raw pork?

Finally Took The 810 For A Rip:) 11 Jun 2007 11:37 #148395

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
If you take it up to 4k-5k rpm in first gear, then yank the throttle wide open, will the front end come up?

Just curious :)
KD9JUR

Finally Took The 810 For A Rip:) 11 Jun 2007 11:42 #148397

• BSKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
well just to be safe, you should practice
ASSUME THE POSITION ON THE HOOD OF THE CAR every night until you can do it without being toldB)
77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

Finally Took The 810 For A Rip:) 11 Jun 2007 18:50 #148502

• reborn650
  • User
steell wrote:

If you take it up to 4k-5k rpm in first gear, then yank the throttle wide open, will the front end come up?

Just curious :)

Wheelies are illegal in my city sir:) and I certainly don't want to make this thing into a unicycle, but if I get a chance to accidentally (nudge nudge..wink wink) see if this will get the front end airborne I'll let you know Steell.

I did just come back from a quick squirt and musta been spinning around 10K. and it kept on pulling hard but without the tach I am only going from memory on how the bike revved with the tach. The one thing I can say for sure is that these Gpz cams sure make this thing breathe in the top end.

Finally Took The 810 For A Rip:) 11 Jun 2007 19:04 #148507

• reborn650
  • User
BSKZ650 wrote:

well just to be safe, you should practice

ASSUME THE POSITION ON THE HOOD OF THE CAR every night until you can do it without being toldB)

Well, I'm not the spread 'em on the car type of guy but this pic summarises the thoughts that would be going through some of your dirty minds if you would have seen the cop that ahem... nailed me.

Hopefully this pic is O.K.

Cheers-Colin Firth -Ontario Canada

Post edited by: reborn650, at: 2007/06/11 22:05
Attachments:

Finally Took The 810 For A Rip:) 11 Jun 2007 20:37 #148540

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
reborn650 wrote:

...Well, I'm not the spread 'em on the car type of guy....

But perhaps after getting a little better acquainted --

Post edited by: Patton, at: 2007/06/11 23:54
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

• Page: