1983 KZ650? Reviving a barn bike that hasn't rolled over in the past 15+ years

• DougTrenches
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 Jun 2024 13:52 #900433 by DougTrenches
Hi All - 

5 years ago, I was gifted a KZ650 '83 (from what I recall / can tell). It supposedly ran at some point, but hasn't been turned over probably in 15+ years at this point. It been sitting in a barn/garage for most of its recently life. I just got my hands back on it - shipped it from Mass to Chicago, and I wanted to bring this thing back to life. 

For starters, I need to get my hands on a key, which currently doesn't exist (any easy answers here)...then probably change the oil, filter, spark plugs, and get some fresh gas in there. 

I'm more of a rider than a mechanic, so I expect to run into a bunch of speed bumps, some of which I'm sure are novice or amateur. If anyone has tips or ideas that want to share, I love learning and I'm all ears! 

Will try to keep you guys updated as I go along, trying to get this thing back going one bolt at a time.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jun 2024 16:20 - 09 Jun 2024 07:02 #900437 by martin_csr
From the factory the ignition switch, seat lock & helmet lock had a key code stamped into them.  I'm not sure if you can get at the seat lock and helmet lock, but if you remove some stuff you can remove the ignition switch to check the code.  The switch is held in place by two allen bolts on the underside. you may have to remove the meters and the big headlight bolts so that you can push the bucket out of the way a bit. might not be necessary to do that, though.  Here's a NOS lock set for a KZ650-CSR with the key code location noted; the helmet lock is not in the pic, but it's stamped the same as the other two.

Parts diagrams click! >> www.partzilla.com/catalog/kawasaki/motorcycle/1981/csr-kz650-h1  
The 81-83 KZ650-CSRs are virtually identical to each other, so the csr diagrams are grouped together.  In some cases such as the meters you'll have to use the 81-82 drawing. Major differences are that the 81-82 had wire spoked wheels and the 82-83 had BS32 carburetors. the 83 had different engine/clutch covers.

If you need a manual, the 81-83 manual is kind of hard to find, but you could get the 81-82 and use it with the 83 supplement page linked below.
The 83 wiring diagram is the same as the 82 found in the 81-82 manual. 

From the 1981-83 KZ650 FSM. 1983 Supplement page:
(the 83 supplement is only 1 page plus a couple of b-&-w Euro model wiring diagrams). 

Last edit: 09 Jun 2024 07:02 by martin_csr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DougTrenches

More
07 Jun 2024 16:30 #900438 by sf4t7
Welcome to what we call fun!  Look up Nessism's post titled "New owner things to know "
you can find it in the FAQ section.  There is a lot of useful information there. 

Scotty

1974 Z1A
welded Z1 crank
Andrews 1X Cams
Delkevic 4 into 1
The following user(s) said Thank You: DougTrenches

More
07 Jun 2024 16:52 - 09 Jun 2024 07:56 #900440 by martin_csr
For a motorcycle sitting for 15 years, hopefully the pistons aren't stuck.  I would go ahead and put some oil into the spark plugs holes, not a lot, maybe a teaspoon, and just let it sit. Or spray some WD-40 or something in there. or fogging oil, typically used on snowmobiles. some guys probably use Marvel Mystery Oil. Re-install the spark plugs after adding the oil and don't let anything fall into the holes.

Warning:  before removing the spark plugs: blow off the area around them or use a shop vac. blow off everything above the spark plugs as well. So that nothing falls into the spark plug holes.

I would also go ahead and service the timing advancer under the RH engine cover. get a new gasket beforehand. I keep several in stock.  To remove the engine cover (pulsing coil cover), I use a hand impact wrench which has a couple of different philips bits. choose the appropriate bit, fit the tool to the fastener, then whack the tool with a hammer.  Make sure the tool is set in the correct direction and hold it firmly in place.  you could spray the fasteners w liquid wrench and let it sit overnite before trying to remove them. To remove the advancer put a 17mm wrench on the big "nut" and use a 14mm wrench on the advancer bolt. When re-installing the advancer, be sure to use a torque wrench.  Do not turn the crankshaft using the 14mm bolt >> advancer damage could occur.

Something else you'll want to do is to clean up all of the electrical connections. At the least you should disconnect then reconnect them >> doing this will clean up the terminals a little. do it a few times for each connector. Most guys use Deoxit or something similar. make sure the product you choose doesn't harm plastic.  I would redo the spark plug wire connections. they unscrew from the stock coils & plug caps. you may need to nip off the ends if there's a lot of oxidation. the spark plug wires are a maintenance item that may need replacing.
Last edit: 09 Jun 2024 07:56 by martin_csr.

More
09 Jun 2024 07:17 #900498 by moizeau
My ST had been sat for 10 years when I got it, nothing seized. Had to have a play when I got it home so put a teaspoon of 2 stroke oil down each pot and left it while I sorted some cabling issues etc. 2 hours later the old girl fired up. Once I'd sorted the carbs, fork seals, front brake calipers and a few other things I started putting some miles on it. Smoked blue, you could smell and see the oil. It did this for about 500 miles or so. 4 years later now, it doesn't burn any oil at all. I haven't touched the engine. The heat cycles and it being used must have  'cleaned' the rings up. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: sf4t7

More
09 Jun 2024 10:01 #900506 by 1997dr650
My 1980 kz440 sat in a garage for at least 10 yrs with the carbs off ... blew everything out to assure that nothing was going to be drawn into .... starter was seized...cleaned carbs... adjusted valves...a little oil in cylinders.... turn over by hand to start with so I could get a feel for any resistance... by feel I would say there was minimal rust in cylinders .... change oil...... installed used starter .... Bike pretty much started and ran right off... oil light off.
Just ran my first tank of fuel thru it , no smoke,  fuel consumption seems good .... Will continue to ride and tweak.
I do suggest rotating over by hand to start with.

• DougTrenches
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
01 Jul 2024 09:20 - 01 Jul 2024 10:00 #901594 by DougTrenches
I think I'm in (see picture below).
Thoughts on who exactly can this key printed...kawasaki, or or any old key maker?
  • Last edit: 01 Jul 2024 10:00 by Wookie58. Reason: wrong picture

More
    01 Jul 2024 09:51 #901595 by Nessism

I think I'm in (see picture below).
    Thoughts on who exactly can this key printed...kawasaki, or or any old key maker?
    If that switch is off the bike, a locksmith can make you a key, either from the code, or using the imprint method.  

BTW, before posting responses on the forum that have a photo, you need to click "insert all", otherwise your photos show up as tiny thumbnails.

More
    01 Jul 2024 10:01 #901598 by Wookie58

• DougTrenches
    • Topic Author
    • User
    More
    01 Jul 2024 10:04 #901600 by DougTrenches
    Thanks for doing that! 

I'm in Chicago! Why do you ask?

More
    01 Jul 2024 10:30 #901602 by TexasKZ
    There should be plenty of good locksmiths around the Chicago area who can make hat key for you.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
    1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
    2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
    01 Jul 2024 11:02 #901606 by Wookie58

Thanks for doing that! 

I'm in Chicago! Why do you ask?
    I only ask because we have a member "rstnick" who is a locksmith in Canada that can make keys for these old bikes