Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

81 KZ750H LTD Barn Find 16k Miles 1 owner 17 Jan 2023 03:38 #878901

• KZNTX
  • KZNTX's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 11
Got her back together. Brand new shoes....just passed inspection! In the end the only new parts she NEEDED were front and rear master pistons/plunger rubber, and new pads. Other than that everything just needed a LOT of elbow grease and attention to detail.
Title is transferred...just need to pay taxes on her to get tags then she is officially back on the road from her multi decade sabbatical in a barn. 
Running an inline filter at the moment which at first caused a vapor lock issue (no fuel) but we worked past that. I am only planning to run this until I run a few tanks of gas through her as the tank cleaning was successful but there still may be things floating around in there. 

Before:

Still several things to polish up/spruce but the bulk of the work is done. 
I just ordered an emgo fairing and will post pics once its installed. 
She looks a little small under me at 6'3 250lbs but I just don't care. If it really bugs me I can always take out my big ole harley bagger.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: rstnick, howardhb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by KZNTX.

81 KZ750H LTD Barn Find 16k Miles 1 owner 17 Jan 2023 05:16 #878902

• Wookie58
  • Thank you received: 1720
Looks good and a major result to need so few new parts after a long lay-up. Enjoy 
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZNTX

81 KZ750H LTD Barn Find 16k Miles 1 owner 06 Feb 2023 04:21 #879840

• KZNTX
  • User
Added Ebay EMGO Venom fairing and Silver/Kawasaki Green pinstriping as the OG pinstripes were coming up. 
I searched for ages here for pics of this fairing on these bikes but found none so here ya go.
The Kawasaki decal I made and the pinstripes really do bring everything together. 
Still cleaning parts and polishing here and there but this is where we are so far. 

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: howardhb, Kelly E

81 KZ750H LTD Barn Find 16k Miles 1 owner 06 Feb 2023 06:18 #879844

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1620
Thanks. How's the wind noise?  I tried a similar sized vintage fairing & wear a full face helmet >> the helmet wind noise was still pretty bad which was my reason for trying a fairing.  doh.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

81 KZ750H LTD Barn Find 16k Miles 1 owner 13 Feb 2023 04:25 #880113

• KZNTX
  • User
Taking her out to Cycle Gear bike night to show her off to the young fellas on their sport bikes tomorrow. That will be the biggest road test so far. I have taken her around town and for the most part it stops the wind on my chest a lot. Tomorrow will be the big test as far as buffeting and stuff. Ill hollar back. 

81 KZ750H LTD Barn Find 16k Miles 1 owner 16 Feb 2023 03:55 #880239

• KZNTX
  • User
Took her out for a spin to the next town over a few nights ago then to bike night the following day. The fairing makes a massive difference. Good chest wind protection. I wear an AGV helmet and its prolly one of the quietest I have ever had. Not saying its silent or anything but pretty darn quiet. 
The kids on their new sport bikes got a kick out of it. 
She was a bit lean...stuttering between low RPMs and higher ~4k then it would clear up and take off. I am running a service loop with a filter right now and I guess its just too much for a gravity fed setup. 
Planning to cut the tubing and run a straight line with an inline filter to get rid of this suspected issue. If that does not work then I reckon Ill have to pull the carbs again and see what is going on. 

81 KZ750H LTD Barn Find 16k Miles 1 owner 16 Feb 2023 04:35 #880240

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1008
That is a fine looking machine!
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

81 KZ750H LTD Barn Find 16k Miles 1 owner 16 Feb 2023 06:29 #880246

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 429
KNTX wrote

She was a bit lean...stuttering between low RPMs and higher ~4k then it would clear up and take off. 
Planning to cut the tubing and run a straight line with an inline filter to get rid of this suspected issue. If that does not work then I reckon Ill have to pull the carbs again and see what is going on. 

Dirt in the pilot circuit , pilot bypass. 3 tiny holes just behind and above the throttle butterfly. Essy to block. Easy to miss when cleaning. I have the same carbs.

BTW Great looking bike
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

Last edit: by JR.

81 KZ750H LTD Barn Find 16k Miles 1 owner 17 Feb 2023 01:46 #880302

• KZNTX
  • User
Thank you! I am blessed to have her. I have a couple ideas that I will share if they pan out. All cheap little things...cuz I am cheap...or thrifty?

Dang it. Off they come then. Thank you for the tip!

81 KZ750H LTD Barn Find 16k Miles 1 owner 17 Feb 2023 04:57 #880310

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2659
Restriction from a filter won't cause a midrange bog, it may cause bowl draining, and engine cutout, at high rpm on the highway, though.  If your tank is clean, a filter isn't needed.  If you want a filter regardless, get one for a gravity fed fuel system, not a pressure system.  They don't filter all that great, because they need to flow easily, but the type with a gold stone inside should work.

81 KZ750H LTD Barn Find 16k Miles 1 owner 19 Feb 2023 06:37 #880425

• KZNTX
  • User
Filter is pretty light weight. I just cleaned the tank with vinegar prior to reinstalling and just was not willing to run it without some sort of insurance. I want to run 4 or 5 tanks of gas through her before removing/streamlining the fuel filter system. I have it at an easy access point now so I can swap it on the fly if needed. First tank...bunch of tiny garbage came out. Swapped the filter and the fuel has been clean since then. 
She does not cut out at high speeds just midrange or rolling on hard off the line. Even with the carbs messed up its amazing how much power this bike has. I forgot how awesome they are. I am a big boy and she will really take off. Not gonna win any races with her but she has PLENTY of power. 
For context my daily is a 2007 Road King...prior to that I rode a ZZR1200.
I have an XS1100 waiting to be brought back in the stable as well. Why the heck did Yamaha have to make the carbs/fuel so complicated?!?! 

81 KZ750H LTD Barn Find 16k Miles 1 owner 26 Feb 2023 15:30 #880799

• KZNTX
  • User
Yeah so….I found the issue. 

Attachments: