Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Mrs. slayer's GPz1100 refresh & upgrade 05 Oct 2020 08:58 #836202

• slayer61
  • slayer61's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #62
  • Thank you received: 256
Fellas, I just wrapped up the upgrade on my Suzuki, well, almost... and so the lift was clear for the first time in a long time. My wife has always ridden & owned her own motorcycles & her big GPz is next up on the lift. Plans include a Suzuki aluminum GS1100 swingarm conversion, fresh brakes & maybe a fork swap as well... we'll see how it goes & what SHE wants!

Wow. Somehow doubled up on pictures... you'd think I had done this before :blush:

So the entire front end has been removed & the front brakes disassembled... What a mess. The fronts were horrible! Z1 to the rescue! pads & stainless lines in the basket.

As my credit card is still smoldering after upgrading the GS, This one will likely be spring before completion.

Be safe guys
Don't be ridiculous! It's only a flesh wound!

Wife's little bike... 1984 GPZ 550 Kerker and DynaJet stage I kit
Wife's BIG bike...... 1981 GPZ 1100 Kerker and factory FI Mikuni RS34s W/ K&N pods
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by slayer61.

Mrs. slayer's GPz1100 refresh & upgrade 05 Oct 2020 09:03 #836204

• slayer61
  • User
While I'm here, I might ask about gauges as well. The OEM are gawd awful & very knackered. Suitable replacement options would be gratefully considered.

Wife's BIG bike...... 1981 GPZ 1100 Kerker and factory FI Mikuni RS34s W/ K&N pods

Mrs. slayer's GPz1100 refresh & upgrade 05 Oct 2020 10:06 #836218

• 577nitro
  • User
  • Thank you received: 55

slayer61 wrote: While I'm here, I might ask about gauges as well. The OEM are gawd awful & very knackered. Suitable replacement options would be gratefully considered.

Oh....where do I start.....

As you saw my 81 gpz11, I've done a bunch. My recommendations below.

1. Gauges..they were butt ugly..I replaced mine with a set off of a 85/86ZN750, bolts right up and looks great. I would also look at the KOSO as well. If you use the triple clamps from this bike, you don't have to mill the GSXR 18" front brake hub mounts down to clear the forks. They are ~1.2 inch wider and 38mm.

2. Brakes, trash those stockers, they suck butt, I bought a set of CBR600F3's complete for $20.00 and they are perfect. One finger stops, using the stock brake master.

3. See my suspension upgrades...if you plan to keep the stock shocks...which are worthless stock form. Short list, RaceTek Emulators and Springs, better oil, 10psi.

4. Rear shocks, any decent upgrade, Ohlins are expensive, and seem to need frequent overhauls. I like the ZRX units and they are cheap.

5. Trash the stock rear swingarm, again, useless piece of wet noodle.

6. Wheels are a personal thing, I like wider rubber, so I upgraded mine. 17" or 18" (GSXR) etc...

7. I never could get my FI to work so I trashed it...I still have some left overs too...and went with Mikuni RS34's with pumpers. LOVE THEM.

8. Ignition, trash the stock one, it's too old now, get a full Dyna with everything, you will be amazed how much better the bike will run.

9. Stronger and stiffer engine mounts, stiffens the frame, better handling.

10. Rear Sets? personal thing..

11. Mandatory in my book, high quality steering dampener, will save your wife's life one day...

Just to start you off.....;)

577nitro
The following user(s) said Thank You: slayer61

Mrs. slayer's GPz1100 refresh & upgrade 06 Oct 2020 07:38 #836281

• slayer61
  • User
I like the idea of the 3 spoke wheels, so I've been scouring fleabay for some "modernish" replacements. Something from the second half of the 80's!

The Swingarm is officially on it's way out, as an aluminum replacement from a Suzuki is inbound from a member on GS Resources.

Brakes will have to wait until I find out exactly what wheels end up on it. I can recommend the 16mm radial brake MC from Braking. I have one on my bike & I like it a lot.

Thanks for letting me share fellas.

Mrs. slayer's GPz1100 refresh & upgrade 06 Oct 2020 08:27 #836283

• 577nitro
  • User

slayer61 wrote: I like the idea of the 3 spoke wheels, so I've been scouring fleabay for some "modernish" replacements. Something from the second half of the 80's!

The Swingarm is officially on it's way out, as an aluminum replacement from a Suzuki is inbound from a member on GS Resources.

Brakes will have to wait until I find out exactly what wheels end up on it. I can recommend the 16mm radial brake MC from Braking. I have one on my bike & I like it a lot.

Thanks for letting me share fellas.

Check out webike.japan they have everything you need to replicate a high end AC Sanctuary replica. I've had no problems ordering and deliveries.

The companies that provide the best parts I've found are, PMC, JB Bito, Yoshi. But there are many other smaller companies that have cool parts...even NEW wiring harness's complete.

I used 18" wheels because I wanted to keep the same geometry and really wanted a poor mans S1 replica.

I bought a GS 1100 rear swingarm as well, and looked at fitting it, but it was iffy on 18" 160 size tires and clearing. It also put the rear eyelets back I think about and inch.

Mrs. slayer's GPz1100 refresh & upgrade 06 Oct 2020 11:07 #836288

• slayer61
  • User
I appreciate all your input. We already have a superbike replica in the garage. My Mrs. is giving me "free reign" as long as she is agreeable.

I already know she doesn't want another superbike replica. I've had mine for a long time and she never showed any interest in riding it

Attachments:

Mrs. slayer's GPz1100 refresh & upgrade 08 Oct 2020 14:35 #836415

• slayer61
  • User
So, small update, the Suzuki swingarm is due to arrive tomorrow. That'll be fun. Also ordered a set of fork seals & bushings and some fork oil. Still trying to find a suitable set of fork springs without using "progressive". Sonic Springs seems slow to respond. Any other ideas?

Mrs. slayer's GPz1100 refresh & upgrade 08 Oct 2020 16:56 #836425

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
  • Thank you received: 494
Racetech seems to be highly regarded. They sell springs and lots of other suspension parts.

racetech.com/page/id/141
'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100

Mrs. slayer's GPz1100 refresh & upgrade 09 Oct 2020 07:38 #836460

• slayer61
  • User
Excellent. Thank you Sir. I have Racetech forks on my Suzuki. I never thought about them for "stock" parts. Great suggestion.

Mrs. slayer's GPz1100 refresh & upgrade 09 Oct 2020 09:00 #836464

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
  • Thank you received: 664
Racetech gold valves are a solid upgrade for not much money. I installed them on a stock KZ1000 and was blown away by the improvement.

Mrs. slayer's GPz1100 refresh & upgrade 12 Oct 2020 09:40 #836699

• 577nitro
  • User

DoctoRot wrote: Racetech gold valves are a solid upgrade for not much money. I installed them on a stock KZ1000 and was blown away by the improvement.

I second that...also upgrade the fork spring , the stocker has probably lost its tension and was too soft to begin with.

Last edit: by 577nitro.

Mrs. slayer's GPz1100 refresh & upgrade 12 Oct 2020 11:11 #836706

• slayer61
  • User
So, a (very) little progress on Sunday morning before the business of life took over.

Got the forks and front end removed (maybe just disassembled... dammit it's hard getting old). Old forks, removed caps & fork springs. Found them to be progressive & will be tossed or re-purposed into wrench holders in the tool box.

Also managed to get the hideous gauges removed from it. Good riddance to you.

Removed the rear wheel for first mock up with new swing arm

Turns out I'm gonna need the Suzuki axle for this as well as suitable spacers made up.
I was also reminded that I have this left-over Kerker from something..... I wonder.....