Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

81 kz650h1 project "test pilot" 24 Feb 2019 12:05 #799142

• Rockybalboba
  • Rockybalboba's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
I still need to remove and figure out taillight exhaust, finish theframe, shave random un needed mounts, whew, I can see why these can take a minute to build

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

81 kz650h1 project "test pilot" 25 Feb 2019 13:14 #799189

• Rockybalboba
  • User
Worked on the wiring a bit today, making sure I have everything working before I figure locations and such.

Here is my wiring diagram right now, does this look alright? I have also posted in the electrical area
Attachments:

81 kz650h1 project "test pilot" 13 Mar 2019 13:40 #800278

• Rockybalboba
  • User
Finally got a couple nice days so I took some time and wired her up, trying to get it to fire up before I tear it down to finish up the frame.
Not having any luck, good spark and compression, fuel down the cylinders it gives a bit of a backfire but no actual "run" just a backfire. I'm thinking the valves may be stuck?

But my headlight works !!
Attachments:

81 kz650h1 project "test pilot" 13 Mar 2019 18:23 #800304

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
Did you rejet & tune the carburetors for the individual pod filters?
If so, what main jets & pilot jets did you install and did you shim the jet needles to raise them?

Other stuff. service fuel level check to make sure the fuel level in each carburetor is correct.
Accelerator pump operating correctly >> fuel should squirt thru the carb bores without hitting the walls.
Mechanical synchronization >> throttle slides adjusted the same or about the same. the slides have a square opening or notch that probably should be completely above the bottom of the carb bore. I don't recall what the 81 manual says about the throttle slide gap, but the drawing doesn't show the notch.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

81 kz650h1 project "test pilot" 14 Mar 2019 13:35 #800346

• Rockybalboba
  • User
I actually went back to the stock air box, decided I'd skip the hassle of fighting with jetting, may play with it after I have ridden it some, the carbs have been cleaned and gone through.

I'm thinking maybe there is an issue with the timing, I removed the cover that goes over the pickup coils, and it is fairly oxidized in there, I'm thinking there may be an issue with the timing advancer. Unfortunely someone has been in there prior to me and stripped the screw heads, was late so I just gave up for the night. I'm hoping to be able to remove the screws with some vice grips, or possibly slot them and try a straight slot screwdriver.

81 kz650h1 project "test pilot" 14 Mar 2019 13:51 #800347

• martin_csr
  • User
If the pulsing coil plate screws are damaged, use a dremel to cut slots in them so that a screwdriver can be used.

The KZ650-CSR came stock with electronic ignition, so there's nothing to set. What you should do, though, is clean, check & lubricate the timing advancer. check that the springs aren't stretched or damaged or anything. separate the rotor from the advancer body, clean everything, then lubricate the advancer & fill the groove with grease. lubricate the spring ends & pivot points. Reassemble & check that the advancer operates smoothly. hold the body, then turn & release the rotor >> it should snap back. Use a torque wrench to properly torque the advancer bolt. Install a new engine cover gasket.

Important note: Put a 17mm wrench on the big crankshaft nut to keep the crankshaft from turning, then use a 14mm wrench to remove the advancer bolt. You must use both wrenches. Do not turn the crankshaft using the 14mm advancer bolt >> timing advancer damage could occur.

81 kz650h1 project "test pilot" 14 Mar 2019 14:06 #800348

• Rockybalboba
  • User
Any recommended lube for the advancer itself? Or just a light greasing?

81 kz650h1 project "test pilot" 14 Mar 2019 14:07 #800349

• Rockybalboba
  • User
This is what it looks like, I dont feel the oxidizing is "normal"
Attachments:

81 kz650h1 project "test pilot" 15 Mar 2019 06:08 #800372

• martin_csr
  • User
Looks like it's been wet, maybe from sitting outside w a bad gasket. It should be clean in there with only minor oxidation.
I would use a penetrant on the screws. and vibration. heat from a heat gun might help as well.

Timing advancer lube. I use high temp brake & wheel bearing grease. dielectric grease & white lithium grease didn't work. doh.

81 kz650h1 project "test pilot" 15 Mar 2019 10:50 #800386

• Rockybalboba
  • User
See that was my instinct. Spray some white lithium and call it "lubed". I plan to mess with it some this evening, fingers crossed lol

81 kz650h1 project "test pilot" 26 Mar 2019 14:38 #801083

• Rockybalboba
  • User
Well this happened
Attachments:

81 kz650h1 project "test pilot" 26 Mar 2019 15:09 #801085

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2621
WHAT HAPPENED?