Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

KZ1000P conversion. 23 Dec 2018 20:34 #795595

• Jimbo302
  • Jimbo302's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7

650ed wrote:

Jimbo302 wrote: I was a mechanic for many years, as well, and have never seen the "open exhaust, damaged engine" wives tale, proven either.

It depends on one's definition of "open exhaust." Try running a bike with the entire exhaust system removed (I mean removed from the cylinder head) and you'll see what I mean. :laugh: :laugh: Ed

No doubt. If there was a way to prove that theory, that would be it. The closest I ever came to that was driving a car with open shorty headers. I actually had concerns about that one during the short distances it traveled.

Meanwhile, a friend of mine has been dailying a Sportster for some time, with less than a foot of header pipe on each cylinder, without issue.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Jimbo302.

KZ1000P conversion. 24 Dec 2018 01:23 #795605

• old_kaw
  • User
  • Thank you received: 269

Jimbo302 wrote: I was a mechanic for many years, as well, and have never seen the "open exhaust, damaged engine" wives tale, proven either.
Kudos, the military is a great place to learn a skill. I'm still in, and thats why I am in Guam, currently. This bike is just my cathartic side project.

The original pipes were gutted with no mufflers/silencers, as well rusted and open at the crossover.

My apologies for any offense you are taking. I am not interested in arguing on the internet.

No offense is being taken here my friend. I was just unclear why anyone would run open pipes on a bike that had mufflers, then saying it had none when you bought it. I kinda figured they had to be rusted out, or you would have reinstalled them. Of course, you never know what "upgrades" people will come up with while "improving" these old bikes. I do try to help steer people away from doing things that will hurt performance, and make them unreliable.

Joining the military has to be one of the best decisions I made in my life. (followed by MANY bad decisions) I still use the VA for healthcare, since that train wreck of un-affordable heath care was put into effect. I didn't learn much technical stuff as far as skills in the Army, but after I ETS'd out, then went to college, was where I got the physics, math, etc.. the real tech classes.

I started my bike briefly when I had the exhaust off to spit out any water it ingested from pressure washing when I put on the Delkevic header, and I agree, that would definitely warp a valve. This is what my instructor was talking about. It sounded more like pop,, pop, pop. It did sound strange to say the least. Literally breathing fire. :woohoo:

I just hope Guam doesn't tip over while your'e there. Hank Johnson warned us about that a long time ago. LOL

1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Located in the Saint Louis, Missouri Area.
Attachments:

Last edit: by old_kaw. Reason: proofreading is a good thing. :-)

KZ1000P conversion. 24 Dec 2018 06:15 #795614

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828

old_kaw wrote: ...............................
I started my bike briefly when I had the exhaust off to spit out any water it ingested from pressure washing when I put on the Delkevic header, and I agree, that would definitely warp a valve. This is what my instructor was talking about. It sounded more like pop,, pop, pop. It did sound strange to say the least. Literally breathing fire. :woohoo: ......................

That reminds me of when I was 15 years old. My 16 year old buddy owned a Honda CB160 which he had it in his parent's basement. He completely removed the exhaust system thinking this would make the bike sound like a big, bad motorcycle. Then he started it up. It made a very weird pop, pop, pop noise that sounded like bubbles. His mother ran the the basement door and angrily shouted down to him "Stop messing with my washing machine!" I though I would die laughing! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

KZ1000P conversion. 24 Dec 2018 17:03 #795636

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2599
Capsize,:lol: :lol: :lol: :woohoo: and we pay them bank.
Steve

KZ1000P conversion. 25 Dec 2018 15:11 #795669

• Jimbo302
  • User

old_kaw wrote:
No offense is being taken here my friend. I was just unclear why anyone would run open pipes on a bike that had mufflers, then saying it had none when you bought it. I kinda figured they had to be rusted out, or you would have reinstalled them. Of course, you never know what "upgrades" people will come up with while "improving" these old bikes.

c

The head pipes were the only good part of the old exhaust system. I saved them for possible future use.
The bike did not idle or ride when I bought it.
So, installed the header pipes as a quick temporary exhaust while testing carbs, clutch, brakes, etc.

KZ1000P conversion. 30 Dec 2018 01:14 #795902

• Jimbo302
  • User
I pulled the clutch and it actually didn't look too bad.
I installed the new kit and reset the clutch rod. It does seem to grip a bit more.

Attachments:

KZ1000P conversion. 30 Dec 2018 01:25 #795903

• Jimbo302
  • User
I put the Delkavic exhaust on and it sounds nice. It is a bit louder than I was expecting , but still very reasonable.

I initially turned in the mix screws to 1 1/2 for a starting point.
After a quick ride I found a stutter in full throttle mid range and slower high rpm pull, even though it shot up to 80mph quicker than I need it to.
The low end and half throttle pulls provided "diesel truck" like torque, though.

I'm going to need to fine tune them to get full throttle pull and top end power right.

I tuned each individually while idling and found a nice solid idle. I didnt note each adjustment but they are all out further than two and a half turns.
We'll see what that feels like next time out.

KZ1000P conversion. 31 Dec 2018 15:27 #795985

• Jimbo302
  • User
The pipes got "golden" in a hurry.

Attachments:

KZ1000P conversion. 31 Dec 2018 16:34 #795988

• Jussumguy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 11
Looks great, nice pipe. How big is the outlet? I’m running stock jetting and it’s right. I’ve got the “street baffle” and I’m close to sea level.

KZ1000P conversion. 31 Dec 2018 17:26 #795991

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 372
Yes, Pipe and bike are looking good.
B)
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

KZ1000P conversion. 31 Dec 2018 19:36 #795997

• Jimbo302
  • User

Jussumguy wrote: Looks great, nice pipe. How big is the outlet? I’m running stock jetting and it’s right. I’ve got the “street baffle” and I’m close to sea level.

It's about a 1-1/4" outlet.

KZ1000P conversion. 01 Jan 2019 11:47 #796018

• 9er rider
  • Sustaining Member
  • Keep a cool tool
  • Thank you received: 87
Thank You, for the input Ive been looking at a setup as yours, But couldn't get any input except salesmen, Ive always run Kerker for so long I don't quite remember a stock pipe sound after 40 years, and Im wanting to put some Town bike bags for a trip to the store for a loaf of bread or something. Ive been to Guam a couple times when in the Navy, What is your quickest time from one end of the Island to the other? I never made it much past the EM club myself.
76 kz 900 1075 76 kz 900 a4 78 kz 1000 ltd