Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Kz750h ltd project 19 Apr 2019 14:20 #802430

• Oldjeep
  • Oldjeep's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 31
Took it out for a short shakedown ride today, once it cools down I'll check all the important bolts again.. Haven't ridden a bike since I was 17 (32 years ago}. Aside from stalling it at half the stop signs I took off from, it seemed fine. Only thing I want to do for sure is get some fatter grips on it.
Chuck
81 KZ750 LTD
03 FZ1
www.oldjeep.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Kz750h ltd project 26 Apr 2019 12:33 #802865

• Oldjeep
  • User
Seat, mirrors and some of the brake parts showed up today. Seat is very nice quality and you just remove your stock seat hardware and install it on the new seat. So the stock seat latch and hinges all work. They also had the holes to put that plastic checklist thing on - but I didn't.
texavina.com/
Only took a couple weeks to get it all the way from Vietnam

Chuck
81 KZ750 LTD
03 FZ1
www.oldjeep.com
Attachments:

Last edit: by Oldjeep.

Kz750h ltd project 05 May 2019 05:53 #803355

• Oldjeep
  • User
Brake lines are still out in USPS land somewhere, but the calipers are all rebuilt and as soon as the lines get here - maybe Monday then it'll be done for now. I had been planning on a café style fuel tank, but came to the conclusion that the engine is so wide that having knee bump ins over the already protruding carbs would be silly and non functional. So I think a new paint job and something to cover up where the stock Kawasaki logos screw onto the tank will be the final product. I've tried every other method known to man to get the pinstripes off, so sand paper is going to be the final effort. Might also consider removing the cut-down rear fender and attaching the lights another way - but I appreciate the protection that it provides. Not in these pictures are the tucked in chrome front turn signals that I put on to replace the plastic things that the PO put on.

Chuck
81 KZ750 LTD
03 FZ1
www.oldjeep.com
Attachments:

Kz750h ltd project 06 May 2019 00:56 #803384

• gordone
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 67
Looks great ! :)
1981 KZ650-D4, with 1981 z750L engine (Wiensco 810 big bore).

Project:
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/607213...sr-1981-z750l-engine

Kz750h ltd project 07 May 2019 11:18 #803460

• Oldjeep
  • User
Brake lines came in yesterday, got the brakes all installed and bled out. Just got done with a 15 mile ride and it all seems to be working well now. Only complaint is that the mirrors are completely useless. Need to do some work on that.
Chuck
81 KZ750 LTD
03 FZ1
www.oldjeep.com

Kz750h ltd project 08 May 2019 17:28 #803543

• dpivas7
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
Did you have to do anything to make your seat in line with your tank? I also got a seat from Texavina but it leans forward just a little bit. I'm thinking of maybe just adding some spacers under the hardware or something to get it leveled up front.
Current: '19 Harley Roadster, '72 XLCH, '84 GPz 550
Past: '84 GPz 550, '82 KZ750 LTD, '71 XLCH
Attachments:

Kz750h ltd project 08 May 2019 17:32 #803544

• Oldjeep
  • User
No, just bolted the stock hardware on. The hinges and brackets have a little adjustment, and it took a couple of tries to center it and get the latch to work. No shims.

Something in your picture looks off. the plastic side cover doesn't look parallel to the seat bottom.
Chuck
81 KZ750 LTD
03 FZ1
www.oldjeep.com

Kz750h ltd project 10 May 2019 04:51 #803630

• Oldjeep
  • User
Started last night on fork rebuild. Realized that I needed a 8mm hex key that I can put on my impact to get one of the bolts out, so only finished one side. Hopefully when I'm done the front end won't be so squishy. Also need to pick up a pump to charge the air shocks. I haven't got anything with a gauge that is accurate down in the 10lb range.

Chuck
81 KZ750 LTD
03 FZ1
www.oldjeep.com
Attachments:

Kz750h ltd project 13 May 2019 09:46 #803795

• Oldjeep
  • User
After I got it all put back together and put about 8.5Lbs of air in the forks the difference was pretty amazing. Guess that 38 year old fork oil wasn't really doing its job. Put about 40 miles on it Saturday and it was working like a dream. Only remaining complaint is that the mirrors suck no matter what position they are in, so I ordered some longer ones. Been busy the last few days in the shop cleaning up and doing minor repairs on my wife's new ML crisis - I think it looks a little nicer than mine.
Chuck
81 KZ750 LTD
03 FZ1
www.oldjeep.com
Attachments:

Kz750h ltd project 13 May 2019 10:35 #803807

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2678
I installed Sonic springs in my 750 and they work wonderfully. No more air nonsense.

Kz750h ltd project 16 May 2019 12:15 #803987

• Oldjeep
  • User
New mirrors showed up today from Dime City. Pretty fancy for this bike, but they should work better than the last ones I had on there. Hopefully can take it for a spin later.

Chuck
81 KZ750 LTD
03 FZ1
www.oldjeep.com
Attachments:

Kz750h ltd project 17 May 2019 04:12 #804011

• Oldjeep
  • User
The mirrors work really well and I found out what the range of the bike is before I have to skulk off to a gas station on the reserve

I think I'll try them with the extenders, but they gave a good range of view for lane changes and a little bit behind me.

Hadn't really occurred to me that the tank is so small on the bike. It appears that 80 miles or so is the range before the bike starts chugging and then dies. It was starting to miss, so I pulled over to the side of the road and it died by the time I got stopped. Took me a couple minutes to think - jeeze maybe it is out of gas. Primed it and switched to reserve and made it to a station.

There is some sort of fuel light on the gauge - which did not come on. Guess the next task is to check the manual and figure out what is supposed to turn that on and fix it. There wasn't any wiring connected to the tank, so I'm wondering if there is something missing.
Chuck
81 KZ750 LTD
03 FZ1
www.oldjeep.com