Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Title replacement for a barn find. 21 Nov 2018 09:27 #794072

• old_kaw
  • User
  • Thank you received: 269

Ed_in_Miami wrote: I'm in Florida.. It's IMPOSSIBLE to get a title for an untitled bike in this state...
Pisses me off....!!!

Ed, there HAS to be some sort of procedure to title an abandoned or impounded vehicle. Wrecker companies and impound yards need to have the ability to sell vehicles at auctions.. Unless impounds and tow yards don't operate in that state.

dor.mo.gov/forms/Abandoned_Vehicle_Manual.pdf
1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Located in the Saint Louis, Missouri Area.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Title replacement for a barn find. 21 Nov 2018 09:44 #794074

• ned37
  • User
  • Thank you received: 11
back in the early 70's, i rebuilt an abandoned honda in miami using parts from a friend. every time i talked to the dmv, i would get a different story and i would follow their instructions only to be told by the next person at dmv that it was wrong and i had to do it another way. after three tries i gave up and used a bogus tag off my blown up ariel 650. rode it for 3 years and ended up giving it to the same friend and left the state
'83 GPZ1100, '97 Triumph Trophy 1200, '08 Husky TE610
Verde Valley, AZ

Title replacement for a barn find. 21 Nov 2018 10:32 #794076

• old_kaw
  • User
  • Thank you received: 269

ned37 wrote: back in the early 70's, i rebuilt an abandoned honda in miami using parts from a friend. every time i talked to the dmv, i would get a different story and i would follow their instructions only to be told by the next person at dmv that it was wrong and i had to do it another way. after three tries i gave up and used a bogus tag off my blown up ariel 650. rode it for 3 years and ended up giving it to the same friend and left the state

That sounds like the runaround I was getting here. I had one idiot at the DMV tell me to >just< go get a court order from a judge, so i went the county courthouse and talked to a judge, and was told that I had to hire a lawyer and use the proper legal procedures to get a judgement.. A bunch of dufus advice is given out at the DMV every day. I gave it up on the idiots at the DMV, and was persistent at the abandoned vehicle procedures. It seems they tell you WHATEVER they can to get you to leave them alone. Oh LOOK, lunch time! see ya. LOL
1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Located in the Saint Louis, Missouri Area.

Title replacement for a barn find. 27 Dec 2018 04:17 #795751

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • Away
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
  • Thank you received: 607
We wanted to wait until we confirmed this process worked before we posted it here.

We met Mr. Bob Conger at Mid-Ohio a few years ago, where he's become a regular.

Bob owns & operates No Bull Used Motorcycle Parts:
www.nobullusedmotorcycleparts.com

If one visits the No Bull page dealing with motor vehicle titles, the process of obtaining a new title for a vintage vehicle, (a barn find, let's say), is described.
www.nobullusedmotorcycleparts.com/titles.html

We bought a barn find '73 Z1 (The Wounded Z) that had not been registered for street use for more than 30 years. The PO had passed away since then. The title was long-lost. The state where the bike had been previously licensed & titled scrubs records after 15 years of inactivity.

With Bob's assistance we were able to obtain a new title for this bike in our state of residence. The cost and effort involved was surprisingly little for such a valuable outcome.

If you have or know of a vintage bike that is languishing for lack of a title, Bob could likely assist in obtaining that most valuable of motor vehicle documents - a clear Motor Vehicle Title.

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE
A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1972 Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

The following user(s) said Thank You: DOHC, TexasKZ, bluej58

Title replacement for a barn find. 27 Dec 2018 14:03 #795785

• missionkz
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 184
Anytime I've tried to do this online somewhere, they always tell me the VIN number is incorrect or not the right amount of digits. It's those short numbers from many years ago where we don't have 17 digits. It would be nice to know if an old garage sale/estate sale, rolling parts bike has a clean title.
Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

Title replacement for a barn find. 27 Dec 2018 16:04 #795795

• 650Dude
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 19

Malcolm wrote: I'm new here but would love to hear if any of the membership has any experience with getting a title for an old motorcycle, without any documentation.
We all enjoy the stories of finding exotic bikes and restoring them but no-one seems to address the legal obstacles trying to return these to the road. Here in North Carolina it is simply amazing the amount of misinformation that exists within the DMV. They just don't know and are free to misinform without consequence.
I will prevail and when I do I'll share the lessons I've learned.

There is a way and Ive done it for a few of my friends. I dont want to give out to many details, but you need to know someone who lives in....letst just say a northeastern state near Massachusettes - and NOT Vermont.. After that its easy. Vermont is lame. Ive registered 3 untitled bikes this way.

Thats all I can say
1977 Kawasaki KZ650B
1977 Kawasaki KZ750 Twin

Title replacement for a barn find. 28 Dec 2018 21:17 #795854

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • Away
  • User

650Dude wrote: There is a way and Ive done it for a few of my friends. I dont want to give out to many details, but you need to know someone who lives in....letst just say a northeastern state near Massachusettes - and NOT Vermont.. After that its easy. Vermont is lame. Ive registered 3 untitled bikes this way.

Thats all I can say

Your post serves no purpose. It contains no useful content.

You make an unsubstantiated claim of knowing an alternate method of obtaining a title. You claim without evidence that you have done so. Then you go on to say that one must know "someone" in a northeast state and "after that its [sic] easy". And that "someone" has..., what?

A secret decoder ring from a Cracker Jack box?

IF ... you are aware of a useful alternate method of obtaining a new title for a vintage motorcycle that does not have one, it would be a courtesy to other enthusiasts to share it. Baiting the forum membership with some super-secret :laugh: rumor, then withholding supposedly useful information you claim to posses is likely to only alienate forum members against you while at the same time undermining your credibility.

I have done my due diligence in taking the time, performing the steps and paying the small costs (taxes & registration fees) necessary to successfully obtain a clear title in my state of residence for a '73 Z1 that had no title when I purchased it from another state. I can vouch for the fact that it works, and that the contact info I provided is legitimate and honest. I have freely shared the contact information and process with the forum membership for the benefit of other enthusiasts.

You have written nothing of value to move this thread forward.

You claim Vermont is lame?

dude, read your fairy tale through our eyes.

Good Ridin'
slmjim

1972 Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

The following user(s) said Thank You: Kidkawie, KZErider, Nerdy

Last edit: by slmjim+Z1BEBE. Reason: Typos

Title replacement for a barn find. 29 Dec 2018 04:44 #795860

• Kidkawie
  • User
  • I bleed premix
  • Thank you received: 245
I know a guy who knows a guy.....
1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125

Title replacement for a barn find. 29 Dec 2018 05:00 #795861

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2680
Edit: sorry, forgot that this VT info was already posted. Oh well...

Vermont doesn't give titles for older bikes so I've heard of guys registering their bike there and then taking the paperwork to their local DMV and using that to get title and registration in their own state. I believe there are title companies that will assist for a fee.

www.chinonthetank.com/2014/04/get-a-titl...ermont-registration/

Last edit: by Nessism.

Title replacement for a barn find. 29 Dec 2018 15:36 #795887

• riturbo
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 277
Looks like theses guys will do the paperwork for you for a few hundred if you wanted to go that route . Havent used them myself but looks like a good option .

www.motorecyclenow.com/
Gpz 750 turbo The one I ride
Gpz 750 turbo Not finished
Gpz 750 turbo Not started
Gpz 550 1981
Gpz 550 1983
Bunch of other junk

Title replacement for a barn find. 29 Dec 2018 17:42 #795890

• 650Dude
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 19
SlimJim

Lets say I do know a way, which I do, but dont want it plastered all over the net. The wise thing to do is for someone to INBOX me. No need for wisecracks and derisive comments. Im a happy person so snide comments dont generally spew forth from me.
However I realize that some ppl have a lot of time on their hands and look for battles or skirmishes to vent lingering subconscious frustrations. Im am not definitively stating I believe you fit into this category. But....

I mean, people can be stupid and buy into the internet culture of revealing every damn thing on line about yourself,, what you know etc but I dont, and particularly on this issue.

I have put out there that I know a way and have helped a few friends get titles. . A 1972 Honda that I bought didnt have a title. It sat in a garage. I then bought another bike WITH a title from someone in that state I mentioned and they said "hey did you know you can get that bike in your garage titled if you do such and such?!"

BINGO. Thats how I found out. If anyone wants to talk about it, they can private message me, as ppl often do when someone has something for sale or something they plan on giving away and they want to further discuss..

AND the person in this post who NEEDS the info has ALREADY gotten a private message from me, so Ive done my part.

tah tah
1977 Kawasaki KZ650B
1977 Kawasaki KZ750 Twin

Last edit: by 650Dude.

Title replacement for a barn find. 03 Jan 2019 06:01 #796100

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • Away
  • User

Nessism wrote: Edit: sorry, forgot that this VT info was already posted. Oh well...

Vermont doesn't give titles for older bikes so I've heard of guys registering their bike there and then taking the paperwork to their local DMV and using that to get title and registration in their own state. I believe there are title companies that will assist for a fee.

www.chinonthetank.com/2014/04/get-a-titl...ermont-registration/

In a nutshell that 's exactly how it works.

VT is a registration state for older vehicles. VT issues a registration that can be used for title acquisition in an indivisual's state of residence. It worked perfectly for us on The Wounded Z.

1972 Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A