Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1976 KZ900 Project 15 Aug 2018 16:03 #788939

• Togoster
  • Togoster's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 21
Had a 76 kz400 that I bought new before that and an old SL350 Honda before that that needed to be pushed as much as you rode it. That bike I wish I still had but I'm really happy that I still have my 650.

It'll get some love soon.
Get your motor running!

84 GPZ750
81 R100RS
83 GSX750ES
80 KZ1000 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Togoster.

1976 KZ900 Project 15 Aug 2018 16:22 #788945

• Togoster
  • User
Then it's not back up and the word is functionality.

I'll do something else, I'm going to ride Rocinante this weekend if it isn't raining.
Get your motor running!

84 GPZ750
81 R100RS
83 GSX750ES
80 KZ1000 LTD
Attachments:

1976 KZ900 Project 15 Aug 2018 16:32 #788947

• Togoster
  • User
This is why I try to be as self sufficient as humanly possible because I hate to rely on anyone because it's usually a big let down. You don't take your whole site down when you go on vacation, you just put up a note with an explanation and don't take orders.

Oh well.
Get your motor running!

84 GPZ750
81 R100RS
83 GSX750ES
80 KZ1000 LTD

1976 KZ900 Project 15 Aug 2018 18:08 #788957

• Togoster
  • User
This is the bike that gave me the appreciation for the lines on the LTD. Michael's motorcycles sold this bike years ago for 4k, I talked to him a few months ago. It's the perfect understated image of the semi custom LTD with the flatter superbike style bars that I love. If I was going to beautify my bike then this is my benchmark.
Get your motor running!

84 GPZ750
81 R100RS
83 GSX750ES
80 KZ1000 LTD
Attachments:

1976 KZ900 Project 15 Aug 2018 18:46 #788963

• Togoster
  • User
Thought I'd post something interesting for a switch. The Koni shocks that are on my LTD are now being advertised here because they are now Ikon suspension. Get it? Koni, Ikon? Mine are the 7610 and parts availability for these shocks is still vibrant which is key because my scrawny ass needs something a much lighter springwise. I will not be taking passengers at this point in time. Ikon operates out of Pennsylvania and that means quick shipping to Vermont. YMMV. If Restocycle is handling their product and they have a phone number I'll call them.

I tend to reward companies that don't deprecate their products and make them obsolete. I get it. Make a perfect product and you'll go out business but I see that that isn't necessarily always the case with this.
Get your motor running!

84 GPZ750
81 R100RS
83 GSX750ES
80 KZ1000 LTD

1976 KZ900 Project 15 Aug 2018 19:32 #788970

• Togoster
  • User
If you've not visited the Restocycle website it's worth a gander. I'd like to work there. Located in Kentucky that would get me out of the cold this winter. They also have, get this, a phone number, what a novel approach. I think I'll call them tomorrow and see why they like the Ikon shocks and suspension.
Get your motor running!

84 GPZ750
81 R100RS
83 GSX750ES
80 KZ1000 LTD

1976 KZ900 Project 15 Aug 2018 21:19 #788990

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2613
Look for Nils in the vendor section.
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: Togoster

1976 KZ900 Project 16 Aug 2018 07:08 #789004

• Togoster
  • User
I will Steve, thanks.

I found these on CL last week for $400 and contacted the guy immediately. They had been listed for 18 days and I couldn't believe that i had missed them prior. I drove the 2 hours to pick them up and the guy was an avid biker and had a barn full of toys. BMWs, a Guzzi, a and a range of older Japanese sport/street bikes.

These are going to sit and wait for when the time is right to install them on one of these bikes whichever one becomes the swan because they damn sure are ugly ducklings at the moment.

It's great being back into the sport on all levels. I had put it aside for about 25 years after I got married because it's not a team sport and I needed to focus on business.

Speaking of work, breaktime is over.
Get your motor running!

84 GPZ750
81 R100RS
83 GSX750ES
80 KZ1000 LTD
Attachments:

1976 KZ900 Project 16 Aug 2018 08:55 #789018

• old_kaw
  • User
  • Thank you received: 269

Togoster wrote: They also have, get this, a phone number, what a novel approach. I think I'll call them tomorrow and see why they like the Ikon shocks and suspension.

I also looked for a contact number after I screwed up an order with Z1 last fall, RIGHT AFTER I clicked "place order". I noticed I had selected the wrong cam shims, and looked frantically for a phone number to call before the order went through, to no avail..

Although I do sympathize with the frustration of not having a phone number to call, almost every time my phone rings, I cringe at answering it.. considering at least half of my calls I get from my skilled trade ads, are either some google scammer or some kind of "deal" scam or someone wanting a FREE estimate (and personal visit) for their wish list of things they might do to their home someday.. maybe... if it's cheap enough = never hear from them again after spending 2-3 hours on a personal visit. I had to start charging for a service call to weed out the "tire kickers" from the actual >paying< customers. Paying customers don't mind since a service calls is nothing compared to doing an actual project.

I would imagine running a company like Z1 would become more of a free"technical help line" for clueless "non-customers".

This is my Old Kaw. It looks a lot like the pic you posted above. I like the clean look, but would also like to add some pin striping. The Kz1000 side emblem is a Z1 plastic reproduction.

1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Located in the Saint Louis, Missouri Area.
Attachments:

Last edit: by old_kaw. Reason: proofreading is a good thing. :-)

1976 KZ900 Project 16 Aug 2018 10:20 #789025

• Togoster
  • User
Good points all. I’ve resigned to taking the blame for all mistakes. I have two items that were not as advertised from eBay and whereas I could have returned them I hung them on the wall in the barn as a reminder to be more careful. Still I like a phone number and if 2 places offer a similar service then I’ll choose the one with a phone number. Better yet it’s always nice when you can actually reach out and touch someone.

I’m fortunate that my work load is past clients and referrals. I’m also fortunate because they are second home owners and aren’t usually in my way. And yes, a service charge is the norm in the city so my clients being from mostly cities in New England wouldn’t think it affront. I don’t charge one because I’ll get the work, it’s not an issue.

I’m winding it down tho, I don’t have the verve for the industry anymore. It’s not so challenging anymore except for the aging body and the deteriorating eyesight.

I curse a lot these days.

Nope, I’m going to become a knight errant like Don Quixote.

Your bike looks great and I’ll be getting some repro side covers and a back fender. I like the clean look as well but realistically the motor should be gone through before getting crazy with the beautification end. At 130 psi per cyl it’s tired, like me.

This will serve as dry run, and with 2 similar bikes to do I’ll get very acquainted with them. The winters are long here and so that’ll be the time to redo them up pretty.

Now I just want to ride them.

Thanks for the reply, I should say that I don’t always agree with me either so anyone can always disagree or point out a different perspective and I’ll appreciate it.
Get your motor running!

84 GPZ750
81 R100RS
83 GSX750ES
80 KZ1000 LTD

1976 KZ900 Project 16 Aug 2018 11:43 #789029

• old_kaw
  • User
  • Thank you received: 269

Togoster wrote: Good points all. I’ve resigned to taking the blame for all mistakes. I have two items that were not as advertised from eBay and whereas I could have returned them I hung them on the wall in the barn as a reminder to be more careful. Still I like a phone number and if 2 places offer a similar service then I’ll choose the one with a phone number. Better yet it’s always nice when you can actually reach out and touch someone.

I’m fortunate that my work load is past clients and referrals. I’m also fortunate because they are second home owners and aren’t usually in my way. And yes, a service charge is the norm in the city so my clients being from mostly cities in New England wouldn’t think it affront. I don’t charge one because I’ll get the work, it’s not an issue.

I’m winding it down tho, I don’t have the verve for the industry anymore. It’s not so challenging anymore except for the aging body and the deteriorating eyesight.

I curse a lot these days.

Nope, I’m going to become a knight errant like Don Quixote.

Your bike looks great and I’ll be getting some repro side covers and a back fender. I like the clean look as well but realistically the motor should be gone through before getting crazy with the beautification end. At 130 psi per cyl it’s tired, like me.

This will serve as dry run, and with 2 similar bikes to do I’ll get very acquainted with them. The winters are long here and so that’ll be the time to redo them up pretty.

Now I just want to ride them.

Thanks for the reply, I should say that I don’t always agree with me either so anyone can always disagree or point out a different perspective and I’ll appreciate it.

I AGREE! In the STL area, it is free estimate almost every call. I can usually weed out the ones wanting me to show them what needs to be done, what parts are needed, then bid the job to the lowest lowball offer. I usually weed out the freebies / quotes / bids by requiring a call just to try and weed them out on the phone. A good bit of my work are repeats too, but the cold first time callers ALWAYS expect a free visit to explain things to them.. personally. Dealing with the public as a whole sucks. :-)

130 PSI is certainly enough compression to make any motor run. I believe it is primo compression on a SBC, if memory serve me. Of course, a frame off may or may not include the engine overhaul too, but rings and valve seals / lapping it a good minimal build idea. Then SOME do the whole tamale, splitting the cases, and replacing every little part.
I buy a lot of stuff off of eBay, and ordered another set of kaw head gaskets 2 days ago. Although sending stuff back sucks, and takes forever, eBay will toss a bad seller in a hearbeat, if they screw you. Tis the nature of the beast.

My old kaw was sitting dead for at least 10 years before I rescued it. The pic doesn't do it's disrepair justice, and I was tempted to part it to fix my other Kz1000, until I decided to rescue it instead. It had 2 flats, all the locks punched, no air box and 2 flat tires. no freakin title and an Illinois license plate that expired in 2003. (among a plethora of other things wrong) I drug it home in January 2013. I went through the MO abandoned vehicle process and got it titled and licensed after I got it running.

Just a little tuneup action. :-) I'm guessing the welder dude that did my frame might have been looking for work after this frame was built.

1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Located in the Saint Louis, Missouri Area.
Attachments:

Last edit: by old_kaw.

1976 KZ900 Project 16 Aug 2018 13:06 #789038

• Togoster
  • User
That’s what I’m thinking just do the top end. Crusty old valve seals. Had a little smoke when first started but it has subsided. Never had the 900 on the road but LTD runs great. Starts first kick usually and can take the choke off fast. The GPZ is a fun bike but it’s really frenetic and the 1000 pulls from down low. I’m only around 150 so I’m not that concerned , hell I even still fit into my 35 year old leather jacket and pants.

I found a six pin connector on an old loom I’m not using so I’ll slice and dice and solder it on there. It hasn’t moved since the mishap but it’s going back to the barn so I can it roadworthy. It needs tires, fork seals, battery, chain and sprockets, cha ching, side covers, rear master rebuild, caliper too, cha ching, rear fender and likely more things as well. It’ll suck up a grand and have its hand out for more. Maybe that’s why they are referred to in the female gender.But at that point at least I’ll be riding her. (And I ain’t even going there, lol)
Get your motor running!

84 GPZ750
81 R100RS
83 GSX750ES
80 KZ1000 LTD