Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1979 KZ1000 LTD B3 Help wanted - Bike will not start 29 Jul 2018 06:40 #787842

• shrap66
  • shrap66's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
I put the head back together yesterday. New Vton seals. Re-installed the valves.

Now waiting for the jugs to come back.

I am looking for new rings. Are they all pretty much the same ? Looking at the ones available from Z1 but there is also a set on E-Bay that is less expensive.
1979 KZ1000B3 LTD Glacier Green
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1979 KZ1000 LTD B3 Help wanted - Bike will not start 29 Jul 2018 07:12 #787844

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 512
That head was media blasted correct? In that last picture with the used cover gasket. I see a lot of residue in most of the bolt holes.
I hope you run a thread chaser / 6mm tap down all the holes. And washed that several times. Used compressed air, before you put it together?
Just curious? I know digital pictures are deceiving.
Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

The following user(s) said Thank You: shrap66

1979 KZ1000 LTD B3 Help wanted - Bike will not start 29 Jul 2018 08:45 #787847

• shrap66
  • User

z1kzonly wrote: That head was media blasted correct? In that last picture with the used cover gasket. I see a lot of residue in most of the bolt holes.
I hope you run a thread chaser / 6mm tap down all the holes. And washed that several times. Used compressed air, before you put it together?
Just curious? I know digital pictures are deceiving.

The head was Vapor Blasted. When I reinstalled the valves I ran absorbent shop towels with a dab of oil a few times in each of the valve guides, then I lapped the valves, cleaned everything after using dry wet towels and oiled everything again. I put some high temp Kawasaki grease on the valve stems too. That's were I stopped. 

I will need to wash the rest of the head before I put it back together for sure. 

What is a good method ? I was thinking hot soapy water then rinse. Then either use compressed air to dry it and then finish of with WD40.

Never done this before so I'm in no hurry.

I think I am going to replace that old gasket too and I was looking at the pulley dampers and I think I will change those too. Might as well while the engine is opened. 

1979 KZ1000 LTD B3 Help wanted - Bike will not start 31 Jul 2018 12:45 #787963

• shrap66
  • User
I started reading about carbs in the past days to see what I need to do when the time comes.

Found out I have a Mikuni VM26 pumper. Apparently not the best choice but it is what came with the 1979 KZ1000B3 so for now it's what I have. When I bought the bike the carbs cam with an invoice saying they were ultrasonically cleaned but that was in 2014.

I undid the float bowls and cleaned everything out with Carb cleaner. There was some dirt in #1 and yellowish residue in all 4, probably from what is left when the fuel evaporates. The floats move well. Also looked at the 2 diaphragms. I think I lost the ball bearing. Ordered a rebuilt kit as the gaskets don't look too good anyway. 

I was surprised to see that the jets are 130's ? Seems high.

I did not figure out yet how to tell what size my pilots are but stock should be 15.

From what I have read Stock main jets should be 102.5

Plus 1 because it was setup too lean originally = 103.5

Plus 1 K&N Pods = 104.5

Plus 1 4 into 1 = 105.5

Plus 1 close to sea level ( I am 49m above sea level, is that close ?) = 106.5

So is 106.5 good ?

I have read on this forum a good setting with my setup was 112.5 with 17.5 pilot.

Anyone have a similar setup ? 

1979 KZ1000 LTD B3 Help wanted - Bike will not start 31 Jul 2018 19:05 #787984

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1008
Nothing wrong with 26 mm pumpers.  Just a bit more complicated than non-pumpers, but way simpler than Z1 carbs.

My 1980 came equipped with VM28SS pumper carbs.  I haven't run the bike this year, but last year I set the carbs with 115 main jet and 17.5 pilot.  Everything else was stock.  The bike ran very well except at low rpms where it backfired a bit, which I attributed to timing, not carbs.  I run a 4/1 header and a Z1 air intake on the bike.  Late last year I switched to VM26SS carbs off a '76, with fuel/air screws, not pilot screws.  The bike ran a bit better at low rpm and pulled hard above 4,000 rpm.  The carbs have 115 mains and 17.5 pilots.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

1979 KZ1000 LTD B3 Help wanted - Bike will not start 19 Sep 2018 10:29 #791137

• shrap66
  • User
So its been a while since I updated. I stripped down the carbs and cleaned them. I received my Keyster carb rebuilt kits from Z1, Nice kits. I had 130 main jets and I installed the 105. Replaced the #15 pilot jets with new #15 ones. I did not mess with the jet needles as the ones I have were the correct size Y167-S / 5cn18. Also replaced the pumpers gaskets and the air screws. New O-rings everywhere.

Rebuilt the rear brake. Very dirty and rusty but came out ok. One of the pistons had rust on the bottom but the wall was nice and clean.

Re-installed the cylinder block. What a PITA. Took me a few tries but now its on and the pistons move nice and smooth. I am going to install the head next. I put on the gasket and O-ring.

Just had a question, if you look at the last pic, the O-ring is sticking out as its resting against the gasket in the middle. Do I need to leave it like that ? Or do I need to cut out a bit of gasket material so the O-ring rests in its groove ?

Thanks.

1979 KZ1000 LTD B3 Help wanted - Bike will not start 19 Sep 2018 11:34 #791139

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
I would not cut it.

Looking very nice!

When you installed the barrels....there are two dowel pins that fit between the upper crankcase and the cylinder block. I hope you remembered to put them on.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shrap66

1979 KZ1000 LTD B3 Help wanted - Bike will not start 19 Sep 2018 12:00 #791140

• shrap66
  • User
Thanks !

And yes I made sure those dowel pins were in on the exhaust side as they should.

Should I stick the O-ring back in its groove and let the gasket run slightly over it then ? If I do that I am afraid I will compromise the seal for the center column.

The manual said to install the gaskets first and the O-ring second but if I do that, the O-ring doesn't sit inside the groove in the middle where the gasket meets.

If I install the O-ring first, the gasket sits a bit on top of it.

Last edit: by shrap66.

1979 KZ1000 LTD B3 Help wanted - Bike will not start 19 Sep 2018 14:07 #791144

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
I've never had that problem but if I did I'd trim the head gasket a tiny bit and leave the O ring alone.

Be sure to put the head gaskets in the right side up.

1979 KZ1000 LTD B3 Help wanted - Bike will not start 30 Sep 2018 07:00 #791604

• shrap66
  • User
I finished re-assembly yesterday. I had to undo the oil pan as I had some small leaks and I did not want any oil to fall on the 4-1. I undid everything, I was concerned about reusing the gasket but it was not damaged so I cleaned it up and let it sit to dry overnight. On Saturday morning I sprayed it with Permatex Copper spray gasket, which I also used on the cylinder and head gaskets. Voila ! No more leaks.

So I was able to install the 4-1. Really don't like those flanges as they sometimes shift. Which there was something better to use with the classic exhaust brackets.

Had a temporary fuel tank setup, New battery. Choke on and she's alive !

I can't !@#$% believe it :)

Took out my Jim Goose Helmet for the inauguration.

She does not run perfect and I have sone small exhaust leaks on 1 and 4. Needs to fix that.

Also experiencing some stutter when I come to around 4000-4500 RPM. Need to balance the carbs but I will also re-test compression and take a look at the plugs, maybe I need to look at my jet setup again.

I did 40KM yesterday. When she was warmed up I slowly took her to about 110 KM/H. Nice. The clutch is perfect, the transmission works good, all speeds work.

So thanks to all of your good advise, you guys really helped me out and getting her to run again. It was a great experience. I know everything about the bike and now its just a question of tuning and maybe changing the shocks, tires.

Again thanks to everyone !
Attachments:

Last edit: by shrap66. Reason: Added video

1979 KZ1000 LTD B3 Help wanted - Bike will not start 01 Oct 2018 07:18 #791648

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
It's a wonderful feeling when you press the button and the bike actually fires up! Glad to hear you got her going so easily!

1979 KZ1000 LTD B3 Help wanted - Bike will not start 01 Oct 2018 16:48 #791679

• shrap66
  • User
Today I did static timing using a Ohm meter. So far so good, I have a strobe gun so I will do that next.

I had some exhaust leaks on #1 and #4 so I went ahead and started to fix that. #4 took about 15 minutes and all it was the header was misaligned.

Then I did #1 and no matter what I tried I could not get it right. The surface were the stud goes in the head is flush as opposed to all of the other mounts. Also the aluminium surface is rough. It looks like a repair maybe ?

After a few tries the stud broke off.

I used a punch and started a small pilot hole and then I used an 1/8 inch drill bit to widen the hole. I drilled in about 1/4 inch. Used a counter puller and part of the aluminium surrounding the stud broke off.

Wow just when I though it was smooth sailing, this happens. :unsure:

What should I do ? Can I get it repaired ? Do I need to buy another head ?
Attachments: