Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1979 KZ1000 LTD B3 Help wanted - Bike will not start 23 Jun 2018 05:15 #785702

• shrap66
  • shrap66's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14

hardrockminer wrote: I bought my B4 from a guy in Rocky Mtn House, Alberta for $750 CAD. It took me over a year to get it running right and probably $4k to $5k. Changed the head that the PO had screwed up most of the M6 bolt holes. Changed carbs and put 26 mm on it. Rebuilt the gauges, replaced a lot of parts including seat, tank, sidecovers, chain, sprockets, etc. But now it runs more or less OK...still have some barking at low revs. It was a great learning experience.

Where in Canada are you located? I'm near Kamloops in BC.

I am just a bit West of Montreal, Quebec.
1979 KZ1000B3 LTD Glacier Green

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1979 KZ1000 LTD B3 Help wanted - Bike will not start 23 Jun 2018 05:24 #785703

• shrap66
  • User
OK the fun continues :sick:

I drained the oil and removed the oil filter cap.

Surprise ! No oil filter. Who does that ? Good thing I could not start the bike.

Removed the oil pan. Very dirty gooey mud at the bottom, I can feel sandlike particles at the bottom, no metal pieces. This is going to be a B!@#$% to clean up. Heading out to Canadian Tire for some cleaning supplies, oil and other stuff.

I will remove the oil pump to clean it up and inspect it.

Then I will clean all of that up.

I have the oil pan gaskets and O-rings and a new K&N oil filter when its going to be time to put it back up.

Freaking out.

Luc
Attachments:

1979 KZ1000 LTD B3 Help wanted - Bike will not start 23 Jun 2018 06:35 #785708

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2598
I had crossover pipes like that. "Tuned exhaust" I liked the duel exhaust sound more than the V/H 4-1 I have now. :(
You'll need the spring that goes under the filter. I used diesel to flush my engine when I wanted to get as much out as I could. I put in a gallon then opened the drain plug. Most of the crap is in the pan but I wanted to soak everything else too.
BTW, this is another reason PO's suck. :angry:
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: shrap66

1979 KZ1000 LTD B3 Help wanted - Bike will not start 23 Jun 2018 09:36 #785727

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1008
No oil filter eh?? It's like what Forrest Gump's mother said...you never know what you're going to get.

When you take off the oil pump you may have trouble cleaning the strainer. I had trouble cleaning one with a lot of small rubber bits in it so I just bought another one. They can still be found in stock or on ebay.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

1979 KZ1000 LTD B3 Help wanted - Bike will not start 23 Jun 2018 10:14 #785728

• shrap66
  • User
Happy happy pan now.

That was the easy part. Scraping off the old gasket and getting it nice and clean under the bike isn't going to be that easy.

Like I read a few times on this board, never assume anything about a pre-owned bike.
Attachments:

1979 KZ1000 LTD B3 Help wanted - Bike will not start 23 Jun 2018 15:38 #785758

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
That looks a lot better! When I install a pan gasket I grease it on both sides lightly. It helps hold it in place when you're doing it the hard way. But before you put the pan back on....maybe take some photos of the gears and forks if you can. If they look OK then maybe you don't need to split the cases. Can you turn the crank? If so try to listen for any noise in the cases.

Based on the gunk in the pan you probably should take the clutch plates out and clean everything up. Check the thickness of the fibre plates to ensure they meet the spec in the book.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

1979 KZ1000 LTD B3 Help wanted - Bike will not start 24 Jun 2018 09:02 #785797

• shrap66
  • User
I took the oil pump out and cleaned it up. No issues that I could see. Finished cleaning the old gasket material and re-installed everything, new gasket, O-Rings, Filter and so the bottom part is nice and clean. The crank turns freely and I could not hear any suspect noises. The gears and forks seemed to look ok too.

I then opened up the clutch cover, the gasket is still in place and looked good but seems like the cover had som old gasket material still stuck on to it so I cleaned that up.

Removed the bolts / washers and springs that hold the plate. 2 springs are broken. The springs are rusty.

Removed the plates, the first 2 where stuck together. The others are rusty. That's as far as I am going today, will read some more about the clutch plates and what to do. I will need to order new springs so I am thinking about ordering new plates too but I will go deeper into the clutch as it is really rusty in general and I will need to clean all of that up. The bottom of the clutch housing is free of debris.

1979 KZ1000 LTD B3 Help wanted - Bike will not start 24 Jun 2018 09:41 #785799

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
I don't understand how the clutch springs could rust unless water got into the engine. When you had the oil pan off did you check to see if the crankshaft or other metal parts were rusted? Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

1979 KZ1000 LTD B3 Help wanted - Bike will not start 24 Jun 2018 12:11 #785809

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
It appears that someone drove the shxt out of that bike. Nothing that can't be repaired though.

Be aware that the pusher plate in the center of the clutch has a ball in behind it. Don't lose the ball.

You have two different plates in the clutch. One is all steel. the second is steel with fibre coating. Both have specs but it's the fibre ones that may be worn down to the replacement point.

Were you able to get any photos of the gears when you pulled the oil pump?

1979 KZ1000 LTD B3 Help wanted - Bike will not start 24 Jun 2018 12:34 #785814

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1892
I would remove the clutch basket and inspect the needle bearing,(all bearings).
You need a clutch hub holder to loosen the nut!!!

Attachments:

1979 KZ1000 LTD B3 Help wanted - Bike will not start 24 Jun 2018 16:45 #785831

• shrap66
  • User

Scirocco wrote: I would remove the clutch basket and inspect the needle bearing,(all bearings).
You need a clutch hub holder to loosen the nut!!!

Yep I bought a EBC one that fits for my bike. I need to check the rest of it out.

I am opening a motorcycle shop after this :laugh:

1979 KZ1000 LTD B3 Help wanted - Bike will not start 24 Jun 2018 16:48 #785832

• shrap66
  • User

650ed wrote: I don't understand how the clutch springs could rust unless water got into the engine. When you had the oil pan off did you check to see if the crankshaft or other metal parts were rusted? Ed

No visible rust that I could see on the crankshaft. It looked good. I know that bike sat in the same spot for a while. I am under the impression this is moisture that crept in from the breather or something. The bottom of the housing is pretty clean.