Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1977 1000A? 01 Mar 2018 22:37 #779636

• menace
  • menace's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
I have no idea why they would do something like that. I think sometimes they just fill the spaces on the title with random stuff that applies but is not accurate. I got some work done on the old girl. I put super bike bars on it they look to be about a 4 inch rise and 2 inch pull back they are aluminum i like them. I got the rear tire on the wheel i put duros in the stock size on it. I cleaned up the rear wheel and hub and re greased everything. I took off the swing arm it is in pretty rough shape as far as paint. The shaft was properly greased so it didnt take much at all to get the bolt and the sleeve out i am going to get it sand blasted and powder coated quick. The frame for the most part is in amazing shape so it would seem kind dumb to have a rusty beat up swing arm when everything else will be so nice. I cleaned out the tank it was a little bit rusty and now it is in amazing shape I used METAL SAVER its pretty expensive but it man it works. I got my head light and bucket, battery, handle bars, grips, and a few other things. I drained the oil a few nights ago and i went to put the drain plug back in the motor and i found the front cam chain guide hanging out of the drain plug hole so my carb clean and battery tune up turned into re ring and a valve job. Atleast i know it will be fresh when i get it going. Im going to media blast the swing arm and go through the rear caliper tomorrow so i can get the rear wheel back on. Then Saturday night i will start pulling the top end I am worried that the cam chain guide is fixed and they just forgot the old piece in the motor because the previous owner said he was riding it and he just parked it. I wish there was a way to inspect the cam chain guide before i tear off the top end i was thinking of pulling the sump first and sticking my head in there to see if i can see where the guide is broke or if its been replaced. thanks for the help guys

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1977 1000A? 02 Mar 2018 03:59 #779638

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
  • Thank you received: 511
Be careful removing that cam chain guide screw, make sure you use the right size driver, I striped mine.
Have you coated the inside of your tank yet? I use a mixture of Marvels and gas to prevent rust.
78 KZ1000 A2A

1977 1000A? 02 Mar 2018 07:20 #779649

• menace
  • User
Honestly on the gas tank i just rinsed it with heat. After that i sprayed it down with WD-40 when i get ready to paint it i will see if there is any rust that has developed and i will treat it accordingly. yes i will take care to do it properly when it comes to the engine i am pretty confident and i have a pretty good set of tools. i am mostly worried about the damn chain and putting the fresh block on new rings.

1977 1000A? 05 Mar 2018 15:39 #779790

• menace
  • User
I got the bars on and the controls fitted. I used a ZRX front brake master I order a stock lever to replace that roll click lever and a 2013 Ninja 1000 clutch lever and perch. Also got my fender in the mail for the front just need to mount it b4 paint.. I have not got engine pulled apart yet. I should have most of my parts coming in the mail soon. I dropped off the rear swing arm to the powder coater. Tonight I think I will re-assemble the rear caliper and maybe get the front brake bleed.
Attachments:

1977 1000A? 07 Mar 2018 07:27 #779865

• menace
  • User
s
Attachments:

Last edit: by menace.

1977 1000A? 07 Mar 2018 08:04 #779868

• z19OO
  • User
Def a 77 1000. You can tell by the caliper towards the front and the passenger peg mounts. Good luck with it!
1975 z1 900
1979 kz650b

1977 1000A? 07 Mar 2018 14:15 #779875

• menace
  • User
Thank you sir i appreciate it. i am mostly worried about the engine on it especially after finding that cam chain guide in the bottom of the motor. i just priced all the top end APE parts with gaskets im looking at about 600 dollars to replace everything with a complete Athena gasket kit. I am hoping that i will not have to replace the cam chain and i will have about 100 dollars in machine work for the valves and hone job.

1977 1000A? 07 Mar 2018 14:45 #779876

• KZB2 650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 265
Before you pick up the Athena gasket set please search and wait for a few reviews on them around here.
1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism

1977 1000A? 07 Mar 2018 17:19 #779884

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2621
You won't regret the Liska rollers. They should last a lifetime. Athena gaskets seem to be sub par. I use a one piece head gasket. The O ring doesn't last. The aftermarket ones even less so. With quality parts you should be able to RIDE THE PISS OUT OF IT. :woohoo:
Steve

1977 1000A? 07 Mar 2018 17:30 #779885

• menace
  • User
Ok I will not get the Athena gasket set. Would I be ok with cometic? I know building anything on a budget is a bad idea and that most stock gaskets are always better so I am mostly worried about the head gasket valve stem seals and cylinder base gaskets. So should I just get stock shit or is cometic ok? I still have to get a shop manual and check the valve clearance.

1977 1000A? 07 Mar 2018 17:53 #779886

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
  • Thank you received: 511
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationI got this set last spring and have only used the upper split cylinder gaskets , the cam chain O ring and the cam cover gasket and they are holding up fine .
Going to get into the lower stuff real soon
Good kit IMO from the mother country for not a lot of money
1 set left
78 KZ1000 A2A

1977 1000A? 07 Mar 2018 17:55 #779887

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2675
If you click "insert" when uploading photos they show up in high resolution.

Athena gaskets suck. Stay clear of any green gaskets.