Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

The Ongoing Chapters of the 650B2A. 22 Apr 2017 19:13 #759972

• Johnbug
  • Johnbug's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
There are the pilot jets! A50 and a 15. I see there was an option for an A15 jet. But for this carb set with a 272 serial number. It reccomends a A50. So should I leave it or decrease It to an A15? Jetting is quite an adventure! Even though I'm just trying to work backwards.

Also! The float says 114 on it.
At least on cyl one carb.
Proud Confused Owner Of A KZ650B2A
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Johnbug.

The Ongoing Chapters of the 650B2A. 23 Apr 2017 06:28 #759997

• Johnbug
  • User
A quick update. I feel like this runaway idle then sudden Stalling for no reason could be caused by 2 things. The first being that the float height is way off causing some serious issues with gas into the carbs. The second issue I feel may be that since I at one point had a stuck idle adjustment screw that had to be removed, I may have slightly opened that hole causing more gas than need be to be shoved into the engine upon idle. Also I have a feeling I should move the needle clip up more in an attempt to make sure that on file no extra fuel is finding its way in. Just for double checking, does anyone know what stock float height should be for VM22's?

The Ongoing Chapters of the 650B2A. 23 Apr 2017 06:53 #760001

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
The stock float height for the VM22 carbs is the same as that of the VM24 carbs: 2.5 - 4.5mm. Here's a pic showing where to measure. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Johnbug

The Ongoing Chapters of the 650B2A. 23 Apr 2017 17:49 #760067

• Johnbug
  • User
I'm assuming you can do this off bike and simply use water as a substitute for gasoline? I currently am going back through the carbs and replacing every o ring that has a vac seal. Then its chemtool B12 and a little bit more than healthy dose of compressed air.

Last edit: by Johnbug.

The Ongoing Chapters of the 650B2A. 23 Apr 2017 18:06 #760070

• 650ed
  • User
You can perform the clear tube test with the carbs off the bike. To do so it is best to mount some old carb holders to a board and then clamp the board in a vice or other device to hold the carbs level.

HOWEVER -
Water is not a good substitute for gasoline for setting fuel levels (adjusting floats). This is because gasoline has only about 70-75% of the density of water (0.739 vs. 1.00). So if you set the fuel level using water the floats will rise higher in the water than they would in gasoline because water is more dense, and this would cause the float valves to close prematurely which would cause the level of water in the carb bowls to be too low. This would then lead you to bend the float tangs to adjust the fuel level higher. Then when you switch to gasoline to run the bike the floats would not rise as high in the gasoline as they did in water because the gasoline is less dense. This then would cause the fuel level to rise too high before the float valves closed and might cause an overflow condition. If you want to use something other than gasoline you will need to find something that has the same (or nearly the same) specific gravity as gasoline that will not damage or clog carb parts.

The density of alcohol is fairly close to that of gasoline. To see a chart of specific gravitys do a google search using the words: specific gravity liquid . This may help you decide what to use for your clear tube test if you decide not to use gasoline.

Ed
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

Last edit: by 650ed.

The Ongoing Chapters of the 650B2A. 23 Apr 2017 19:31 #760081

• Johnbug
  • User
As always thanks Ed. My only other question is what is the stock needle clip position? At the very least I'm going to make sure these carbs are airtight and everything that can be adjusted to stock can and will be. I also noticed that one of the choke bodies that screw Into the carb on carb #1 was a bit loose when compared to the other 3. So it may have been something simple.

The Ongoing Chapters of the 650B2A. 23 Apr 2017 20:15 #760090

• 650ed
  • User
In the chart I provided under the “B2A” heading in the row marked “jet needle” notice it shows “5CL10-4”. That “4” after the dash denotes the clip goes into the 4th groove. Ed
The following user(s) said Thank You: Johnbug

The Ongoing Chapters of the 650B2A. 23 Apr 2017 20:37 #760091

• Johnbug
  • User
Ah so this is way off by then. That is the second groove down with washers it seems.

Needle also read Y63. Not 5CL10.

Edit: Found original needles from rebuild. They read 5CL10. Also have clip at second one down. Compared the needles and they look the same.

Edit Part 2: Ah that would explain why any throttle stalls the bike. Due to the fact that running that smaller jet size and also having it set to be so lean. Alright so that problem I imagine will fixed once everything is back together. I assume now the only real problem will be that idle issue. But I imagine that would be from a float issue considering that there is definatly gas traveling into all 4 carbs.
Attachments:

Last edit: by Johnbug. Reason: Fixing stupidity.

The Ongoing Chapters of the 650B2A. 26 Apr 2017 09:51 #760303

• Johnbug
  • User
Float bowls all adjusted to about 3MM. Next up on the adgenda is to get some new bolts for the carb holders and then think up a good way to make sure they hold vac seal. Then its reassembly of the fuel system and straightening of the back wheel! Then hopefully my first ride out on this thing.

The Ongoing Chapters of the 650B2A. 26 Apr 2017 10:33 #760304

• 650ed
  • User
Assuming you bought new carb holders you do not need to do anything extraordinary to make them seal. Just make sure there's no muck on the cylinder head where they mate up and mount them dry (NO sealant) and they will seal just fine. Ed

Last edit: by 650ed.

The Ongoing Chapters of the 650B2A. 26 Apr 2017 20:26 #760351

• Johnbug
  • User
Actually I cleaned the surrounding area and replaced all the bolts into the holders with their correct metric counterparts. I got the bike running and idling correctly! After about a 3 minute warm up it would throttle up and ran much better! No more runaway idle! The float issue seemed to he causing it. In fact I took it for its first ride ever the moment this was done and the idle was sorted out. I was laughing and cackling like a child that was so much fun! It seemed to have a very crispy throttle response and shifted about like I expected. I need to tighten up the throttle housing a tad and adjust the Throttle.. Put a bit more air in the tires and then it will be perfect. Thank you guys for helping me getting this running! Ill keep working on it and making it look amazing as I recently picked up some old paint guns. Tomorrow if the weather holds out I'm going to go out again.

The Ongoing Chapters of the 650B2A. 27 Apr 2017 09:48 #760397

• Johnbug
  • User
Discovered a exhaust leak again. Awfully scary looking since it makes it seem like smoke is blowing out of the engine. Put I think I just need to replace the exhaust gasket. Will keep posted on any new developments.