Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

This was an '83 KZ1100ltd Part deux 11 Mar 2017 08:08 #756415

• Motoracer838
  • Motoracer838's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Moving on with the body work, today's post will deal with modifications to the fairing to make it look more like it might have come on the bike...

Using a variety of materials I made a temporary form in the shape of the extensions to the fairing to bring the lower edge down even with the tank.

Here we see the layup of fiberglass, I used epoxy resin to get the best bond with the plastic.

This shot shows the extension in form.

And the nearly finished body work. Yes there are still some sanding scratches at this point

Cheers Beers n Gearz, Joe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

This was an '83 KZ1100ltd Part deux 12 Mar 2017 10:29 #756510

• Motoracer838
  • User
Some more on how the fairing is turning out.

Nearly ready for paint, There are some things with it that I'm less than happy with, I'll deal with those at a latter date, I need to get on with the mechanical's of the build... Weather is getting warmer and I want to ride it...

Joe
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

This was an '83 KZ1100ltd Part deux 16 Apr 2017 08:10 #759290

• Motoracer838
  • User
Been busy with work lately, Here's where I'm at.

Final mockup is done, I've since finished all the tabs on the frame and reworked the Lower shock mounts the previous owner added to the swingarm, (They were built around the struts he made and weren't close to working with the shocks...) As the bike stands now, I'm ready to pull the engine from the frame, paint the frame, add the 1100 top end, paint the engine and reassemble.

Hard work beats talent,
when talent hardly works... Joe

This was an '83 KZ1100ltd Part deux 22 Apr 2017 10:58 #759895

• Motoracer838
  • User
"Progress"

Pay no attention to the "hacked up" pipe in the background, It was the po's attempt at "custom" pipes...

Some finish welding and paint and the frame will be ready. Looking for opinions on the best way to go for head gaskets when I reassemble the engine.

Joe

This was an '83 KZ1100ltd Part deux 23 Apr 2017 17:23 #760064

• Motoracer838
  • User
Have i mentioned that this thing makes a killer UJM

A 7" round headlight and some round gauges would have finished it off nicely...

Pulled the 1000 top end this afternoon, It would have run, just not very well, lots of soft carbon buildup tells me it just putted around town, it has sat for some time as the cylinders were starting to rust and the rings are sticking, the biggest thing I'm not looking forward to is cleaning the base gasket... (did the Japanese set out to create gasket material that chemically bonds to aluminum or were they just "lucky"???)

Joe
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

Last edit: by Motoracer838.

This was an '83 KZ1100ltd Part deux 30 Apr 2017 08:10 #760738

• Motoracer838
  • User

Motoracer838 wrote:
the biggest thing I'm not looking forward to is cleaning the base gasket... (did the Japanese set out to create gasket material that chemically bonds to aluminum or were they just "lucky"???)

Joe

4 and a half hours of nasty gasket scraping latter, the base gasket is cleaned off, what a pain in the ass. Easily tops my worst gasket ever list. Have gaskets and piston clips coming, hope to assemble the 1100 topend next weekend.

Cheers Beers n Gearz, Joe

This was an '83 KZ1100ltd Part deux 09 Jun 2017 19:41 #763988

• Motoracer838
  • User
So, it's been a while since I've posted progress, a lot has happened, and final assembly has begun

It won't run this weekend, ( have to work sat.) hopefully next week...

Joe

This was an '83 KZ1100ltd Part deux 25 Jun 2017 05:21 #765322

• Motoracer838
  • User
Arrgghhh, I'm soo close, after fighting with the wiring, combining what was left from the butcher job the previous owner did on the 1100 harness and combining parts of the Ninja harness for the gauges along with tying in the Honda VTR1000 swiitchgear,(my head still hurts from all the weird color changes in the harness from the Honda switchs and some weirdness in the 1100 harness), It's ready to run. Of course both sets of carbs I have for it leak... At least it came with a set of carb kits...
Joe

This was an '83 KZ1100ltd Part deux 21 Jul 2017 18:55 #767469

• SoyBoySigh
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Damn BOTOPHUCKET for killing all of these photo-links! Argh. You know what might clean 'em UP though? I wonder if you just included the hypertext links for the pics - Easy enough if you're in "EDIT MODE" then you can just delete a bracket here & there. Tried following pic links back to your account, but maybe your account isn't set up as "Public"? No idea. But thereally good pics in the really good build-threads are sorely missed.

ONE good thing about the Botophucket Ransom is I'M FINALLY VINDICATED:

Guess my "Descriptive Narrative" is finally gonna resonate with forum surfers, more than all of the usual platitudes about the supposed "worth" of a thousand words......

-Sigh.

Last edit: by SoyBoySigh.

This was an '83 KZ1100ltd Part deux 27 Jul 2017 13:11 #767841

• Ed_in_Miami
  • User
  • Thank you received: 46
:( :(

SoyBoySigh wrote: Damn BOTOPHUCKET for killing all of these photo-links! Argh. You know what might clean 'em UP though? I wonder if you just included the hypertext links for the pics - Easy enough if you're in "EDIT MODE" then you can just delete a bracket here & there. Tried following pic links back to your account, but maybe your account isn't set up as "Public"? No idea. But thereally good pics in the really good build-threads are sorely missed.

ONE good thing about the Botophucket Ransom is I'M FINALLY VINDICATED:

Guess my "Descriptive Narrative" is finally gonna resonate with forum surfers, more than all of the usual platitudes about the supposed "worth" of a thousand words......

-Sigh.

This is my build:
kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/600312-ano...rtment-build?start=0
There are many more like it, but this one is mine... news to come!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Motoracer838

This was an '83 KZ1100ltd Part deux 29 Sep 2017 08:21 #771980

• Motoracer838
  • User
Been away for a bit, did I mention that I hate photosuckit??? I have got the bike to "rider" status, there is a small punchlist of things that still need attention, but in essence it's the bike I hoped it would be, it's comfortable (i fit very nicely in an upright position with feet comfortably flat on the ground at a stop and still have enough leg room when in motion), has all the power I need in a bike and then some, pulls like a train from about 3,500 rpm... it does what I wanted it to do...

Joe

This was an '83 KZ1100ltd Part deux 26 Nov 2017 07:02 #775095

• Motoracer838
  • User
Here's a couple of shots of the bike.
Attachments: