Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

85 GPz 750 Cafe Project 29 Sep 2016 12:03 #743921

• scubaanders
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 233
After seen tons of bobber builds on ZX750A where the builder shows of his/hers fab mechanical skills like in this good example that is currently for sale here. :sick: The seller has recently dropped the price by 400 USD and is now asking 800 USD.

I must say yours is an absolutely ”Kawai!” build! :woohoo: :woohoo:

The 800 USD bike? Yeah it’s still unsold, three months and counting. . . . :whistle: :whistle:
Gpz750R1 1982
Gpz750A1 1983
Gpz1100A2 1984
FZ750 1985
Gpz900R -91
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

85 GPz 750 Cafe Project 29 Sep 2016 13:33 #743931

• baldy110
  • User
  • Thank you received: 510
That is simply a hack job. I will say it again some people just shouldn't own tools.

Last edit: by baldy110.

85 GPz 750 Cafe Project 29 Sep 2016 14:06 #743936

• carwash
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
That's what I'm talking about, while that bike clearly has other issues as well, the original tank doesn't work, at all, on that style bike.
The OP's bike is really great and well executed.

scubaanders wrote: After seen tons of bobber builds on ZX750A where the builder shows of his/hers fab mechanical skills like in this good example that is currently for sale here. :sick: The seller has recently dropped the price by 400 USD and is now asking 800 USD.

I must say yours is an absolutely ”Kawai!” build! :woohoo: :woohoo:

The 800 USD bike? Yeah it’s still unsold, three months and counting. . . . :whistle: :whistle:

1980 KZ550A
1980 CB750F

85 GPz 750 Cafe Project 29 Sep 2016 14:14 #743938

• ajsfirehawk
  • ajsfirehawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 89
Thanks, Baldy, I'm hoping you are referencing the orange one. B) . Removed and blew apart the carbs today. Reset the float levels to spec. Also found a large glob of black sticky crap in the #1 emulsion tube and main jet. It was completely blocked while the rest of the carbs are pristine as you would expect after a rebuild. I have to believe it was a chunk of that damnable black paint that made its way inside. I'll never paint another set of carbs. One would be wiser to house his 16 year old daughter in a Frat house than paint carbs.
I've got a set of carb wires for cleaning small passages. Removed and checked all pilot jets, clear and squeaky clean. Same with the main jets. All but #1 perfectly clean. Ran a wire (gently) down each brass air pipe. Reassembled and installed them. ZERO change in the symptoms. Screams on starter fluid, but won't stay running. Two quick bursts with the starter fluid, I"ll not get crazy with that stuff or I'll roast the rubber diaphragms.
As a bonus, I yanked the gas filled tuning bottle off its hook and a quart of gas hit the workbench and splattered everywhere. Landed on the front fender and effed that up, now needs repainted. :pinch: A bit flummoxed at the moment.
79 KZ650 SR
80 KZ1000 Z1 Classic
83 KZ1100 LTD
Z900RS
23 Mach 1

85 GPz 750 Cafe Project 29 Sep 2016 14:35 #743942

• ajsfirehawk
  • Sustaining Member
I should set the baseline, it has #40 pilot jets and #110 main jets in it.
79 KZ650 SR
80 KZ1000 Z1 Classic
83 KZ1100 LTD
Z900RS
23 Mach 1

85 GPz 750 Cafe Project 29 Sep 2016 14:53 #743943

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
Is it possible the vacuum caps are missing from the carb holders? I know from personal experience that can keep the engine from running. :blush: Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

85 GPz 750 Cafe Project 29 Sep 2016 15:17 #743949

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
Are the plugs wet with fuel after an unsuccessful starting effort? Which would indicate that the carb pilot circuits are providing fuel that's being sucked into the cylinders.

Here's one cleaning method:

Remember to wear eye protection when spraying carb cleaner, because the spray always backfires. Always.

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

85 GPz 750 Cafe Project 29 Sep 2016 15:29 #743950

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
The carb enrichener circuits should also be functional.

And the bowl passage must be clear so as to provide fuel for the choke pick-up tube.

The enrichener circuit (choke circuit) is designed to best function when the throttle is fully closed.
So it's best to not even touch the throttle grip while attempting to start a cold engine.
And it's futile to frantically and repeatedly twist the throttle grip open and closed while cranking over the engine in a attempt to start it.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

85 GPz 750 Cafe Project 29 Sep 2016 15:43 #743951

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
Maybe already covered in this thread, but the two primary terminals on each ignition coil are non-polar, so it makes no difference which terminal gets the battery+ wire (likely red or red/yellow), and the other terminal gets the signal wire of a different color (usually green or black).

The important thing is that the ignition coil with the black wire fires the outside spark plugs, and that the ignition coil with the green wire fires the inside spark plugs. Absent some maligned wiring.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

85 GPz 750 Cafe Project 29 Sep 2016 18:38 #743972

• baldy110
  • User
  • Thank you received: 510

ajsfirehawk wrote: Thanks, Baldy, I'm hoping you are referencing the orange one. B) . Removed and blew apart the carbs today. Reset the float levels to spec. Also found a large glob of black sticky crap in the #1 emulsion tube and main jet. It was completely blocked while the rest of the carbs are pristine as you would expect after a rebuild. I have to believe it was a chunk of that damnable black paint that made its way inside. I'll never paint another set of carbs. One would be wiser to house his 16 year old daughter in a Frat house than paint carbs.
I've got a set of carb wires for cleaning small passages. Removed and checked all pilot jets, clear and squeaky clean. Same with the main jets. All but #1 perfectly clean. Ran a wire (gently) down each brass air pipe. Reassembled and installed them. ZERO change in the symptoms. Screams on starter fluid, but won't stay running. Two quick bursts with the starter fluid, I"ll not get crazy with that stuff or I'll roast the rubber diaphragms.
As a bonus, I yanked the gas filled tuning bottle off its hook and a quart of gas hit the workbench and splattered everywhere. Landed on the front fender and effed that up, now needs repainted. :pinch: A bit flummoxed at the moment.

Yes I was referring to the Orange abomination not yours. Yours is done very classy and well thought out.

85 GPz 750 Cafe Project 29 Sep 2016 18:57 #743977

• ajsfirehawk
  • Sustaining Member
Ed, yes, all four are plugged as the petcock will be manual and the air injection has been removed. SO I did cap all four. Looked at them again today with the same line of thinking you are poking at. When you think everything is perfect, you missed something, correct? SO I have to go back and verify my assumptions.

Patton: Many thanks, with the same spirit as my previous statement in this post I may have to remove the carbs and blow them completely apart again to verify all the passages are clear. On the KZ650.info site a gentlemen suggested CV carbs aren't fond of being run without air cleaners installed. My attempt today was without the pods installed and they don't provide the resistance to airflow that a stock airbox does.
79 KZ650 SR
80 KZ1000 Z1 Classic
83 KZ1100 LTD
Z900RS
23 Mach 1

85 GPz 750 Cafe Project 30 Sep 2016 16:07 #744063

• alexromega
  • User
  • first build and lovin it
  • Thank you received: 0
Where did you buy that rear fender?