Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Re:Getting a 82 KZ1100A2 survivor this weekend. 07 Sep 2016 07:13 #741387

• GPzMOD750
  • GPzMOD750's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 148
Oh yeah!

I found a FSM and Clymer's manual for it.

I also have replacement odometer/trip unit in the way. The trip that's on it doesn't want to reset.

I have a UK spec speedo and a full UK cluster with speedo on the way as well.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Getting a 82 KZ1100A2 survivor this weekend. 16 Sep 2016 14:32 #742534

• daveo
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 622

GPzMOD750 wrote: The shocks and forks aren't holding air. They'd lost about half the pressure that I'd put in them.

I still wonder how took me so long to realize the old air-ride suspension was junk, and finally replace it with Progressive front springs and rear shocks. :S

...so-much better IMO ;)
1982 KZ1100-A2

Re:RE: Re:Getting a 82 KZ1100A2 survivor this weekend. 16 Sep 2016 14:53 #742538

• GPzMOD750
  • User

daveo wrote: I still wonder how took me so long to realize the old air-ride suspension was junk, and finally replace it with Progressive front springs and rear shocks. :S

...so-much better IMO ;)

Thanks, I'll keep that I mind, last time I checked then they were holding better. I think it's been so long since it was ridden regularly that the seals had to reseat. I'm still not holding my breath.

I got the speedo from U.K. and it's actually nicer than I thought it was going to be. The complete cluster is supposed to be here tomorrow. I know the casings are a bit rusty but I'm hoping the clocks are in good shape. I'll mix and match for the best cluster then either keep the others for spares or pass them on. I got the odometer unit it looks to be in good shop too.

One thing that's been bothering me is that there isn't a volt meter. So I bought a Koso mini volt/ext temp/clock unit that should fit nicely on the handlebar cover. I like that it has a clock. Not easy to get to your watch sometimes with gear on. I had a cheap digital watch strapped to my BMW handle bars back in the day.

My biggest frustration is finding a replacement right panel. They seem to be super rare. Even broken ones are hard to find.

Last edit: by GPzMOD750.

Re:RE: Re:Getting a 82 KZ1100A2 survivor this weekend. 16 Sep 2016 19:16 #742568

• daveo
  • Premium Member
They were junk, regardless the seals working properly, and the only way for me to know was to replace them.
Man, what a difference it made. :ohmy:

From that point on, the thing has been more of a sport-bike than a sled. Decent tires made an equally dramatic difference.
:)
1982 KZ1100-A2

The following user(s) said Thank You: GPzMOD750

Re:RE: Re:Getting a 82 KZ1100A2 survivor this weekend. 17 Sep 2016 12:57 #742624

• GPzMOD750
  • User

daveo wrote: They were junk, regardless the seals working properly, and the only way for me to know was to replace them.
Man, what a difference it made. :ohmy:

From that point on, the thing has been more of a sport-bike than a sled. Decent tires made an equally dramatic difference.
:)

Gotcha! So did you get the air adjustable units or just get a damper-spring set up on the rear?

On a good note, I found a side panel. At Partszilla of all places. It cost me just over $100 shipped for a NOS Passion Red panel, badge and lock nuts. It would have been free shipping if the order was over $150.

The search for the panel elsewhere wasn't completely worthless. I found a source that has a GPz engine that is willing to sell me the head and a few other parts. He is going to pull the head and let me know if it's worth the trouble.

Re:RE: Re:Getting a 82 KZ1100A2 survivor this weekend. 17 Sep 2016 18:19 #742663

• daveo
  • Premium Member
I installed Progressive 12-1201 (12.5") shocks on my 1100, with the chrome 03-1368C, 105/150 springs.
That combination of length and spring provide comfort, lowered seat height, and improved handling IMO. The setup may not work for someone else, or be recommended by Progressive for the application. But I love it. :)

What year is the GPZ engine?

Glad you found the rt. side cover (with badge), for such a reasonable price.
Keep us posted on your progress.
1982 KZ1100-A2

The following user(s) said Thank You: GPzMOD750

Last edit: by daveo.

Re:RE: Re:Getting a 82 KZ1100A2 survivor this weekend. 18 Sep 2016 06:59 #742704

• GPzMOD750
  • User

daveo wrote: I installed Progressive 12-1201 (12.5") shocks on my 1100, with the chrome 03-1368C, 105/150 springs.
That combination of length and spring provide comfort, lowered seat height, and improved handling IMO. The setup may not work for someone else, or be recommended by Progressive for the application. But I love it. :)

What year is the GPZ engine?

Glad you found the rt. side cover (with badge), for such a reasonable price.
Keep us posted on your progress.

I see. Seat height isn't an issue for me but might be for my brother who this bike technically belongs to. He's letting me use it while I do work on my '82 GPz750. The plan was to work on one, ride the other, ride both awhile, ride one, work on the other, repeat, Since i crunched the side of my crank case about 6 weeks ago that's changed.

I've also been thinking about putting the taller rear rim on from the KZ1000E I'm parting out on so that might be an issue too.

I've known of a correct GPz crankcase and other parts belonging to Redhawk4, who lives about 40 miles from me, since this spring. I've always planned to get them from him but now I have to. Hopefully, I'll get down there this week. As far as the head goes, I buggered mine up just after I got it checking the vale clearances, I can repair it but if I've found a good replacement....

If you need the crankcase from that engine I'll let the guy i found know someone is interested and put you in touch with him.

I am pretty pleased with the cost of the side cover since the going rate for used ones that don't have cracked or busted tabs is $75-100 anyway, IF you can find one, There is one on ebay right now but it's '83 Black Onyx I actually made some offers on it but was declined. It's kind of a drag that Partszilla takes it's time filling orders unless you pay to expedite, No biggie, it's not a mechanical part and I can wait. .

Getting a 82 KZ1100A2 survivor this weekend. 02 Oct 2016 10:46 #744243

• GPzMOD750
  • User
1k mile update!

Yup I've put a 1000 miles on it so far. Keep in mind I have done nothing but install a stator and MOSFET R/R. Well, oil and filter....

It is burning a little oil but I understand they are known for this. It also looks like I have a little seeping from under the head. Looks like a head gasket might be in order before long.

The side cover deal didn't go through so I'm still looking for one. It was an online re-seller that took my order without knowing whether it was actually available. I did get one on ebay that is rattle can black with 2 busted tabs. I put that on and taped it with electrical tape to cover up the innards until I can find a good one.

I decided to get a starter since I have doubts that the starter clutch is the issue now. I do have a spare just case though. Those things are pricey even for the beat up ones. Therefore, I did a search on KZR and quickly found out that the Mitsuba SM-220 that Honda put in the contemporary CB900 fits with slight rotation of the case. It is also more powerful, 0.8 kw (~1 hp) as opposed to the Kawi 0.6 kw (~.8 hp). Who can argue with a 25-33% increase in power? So I popped onto ebay and found many more of those, there is one for the CB750 too which is 0.7 kw so you have to pay attention. They can be as much as the Kawi starter but there are many many that aren't and I found one for $30+$10 shipped. SOLD! It isn't the prettiest but looks much better looking than the cheapest Kawi i could find. Since it might be a bit tired i found a rebuild kit on Amazon for $20 just in case. The kit is here and the starter should be here tomorrow or the next day.

The shocks are still losing air but very slowly, I just bought a pair of NIB 13.5" 12 series Progressives off PtownSLUG. My brother(who finally rode it for 7 miles yesterday) said to set it up at factory height and not to worry. The forks are still loosing air quickly so I'm looking out for a pair of 11-1110 Progressive springs.

I now have 2 UK speedos on hand. One with speedo only that is in very clean condition just little surface rust on the bezel but less than the original. The other is with a complete cluster with a fair amount of cosmetic surface rust in places. i have one replacement odometer unit on hand and am thinking of getting another just for good measure along with a spare tach, the UK tach is blanked out where the headlight warning light goes, and speed sensor. The instruments on this seem fairly rare being only used on the 81/82 KZ1100A, KZ1100 Spectre, KZ1000J, and the KZ1000R ELR.

The NOS tank that the PO put on it about 2-3 years ago now has a rock chip in it. :angry: My route to and from work currently has construction along it and I heard a loud CLUNK either Thurs or Fri on the way home but I wasn't sure what it was. I noticed the chip when my brother got back and now I know what it was. Is there any way to get a good color match touch up for this?

I almost have the garage cleaned up so i can get to swapping out the starter, the instruments, adjusting the valves and balancing the carbs properly. I might wait on the head gasket until later depending on what compression numbers I get.

Getting a 82 KZ1100A2 survivor this weekend. 04 Oct 2016 14:07 #744471

• PtownSLUG
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Ah, so this is what they're going on. Cool man. Can't wait to see them on.
81 GPz 550

Getting a 82 KZ1100A2 survivor this weekend. 04 Oct 2016 18:28 #744493

• GPzMOD750
  • User
Yup!

I just ordered fork springs off Amazon too. Same price and vendor on ebay but going through Amazon is easier if you have issues. I'm going to swap over the gauges and such so I might as well crack open the fork tubes and drop those babies in there. I'll post pics as soon as it looks significantly different from when I bought it.

i was just out in the garage and I have a little bit of gas on the floor. It looks like I have a carb over flowing a little or T- connector that's leaking a bit. It has a fairly full tank right now and it hasn't run since Sunday due to weather so she's just a bit restless. It's a bit of a mess since there are no overflow tubes. The gas has just dribbled over pretty much anything around and below it before it's run down the center stand to the floor. I'll go grab some gas line to hook up to the overflow tubes. I'll get clear ones to check the levels.

I did get the starter yesterday and it looks pretty good. I'll pull the rear cover off in a day or 2 to see if it needs brushes or anything else. I might have time to do a little work on it this weekend.

Getting a 82 KZ1100A2 survivor this weekend. 31 Oct 2016 04:52 #746657

• GPzMOD750
  • User
I got a little progress done this weekend.

The fuel leak turned out to be oil. I over filled the oil the last time I topped it off so it appears I was blowing a little out the PCV. However, my petcock is leaking like crazy with the tank off so it looks like I'll need to address that. The fuel line was rotten so I've bought some replacement tubing and a fuel filter to put on too.

I got the shocks on and the fork springs in. It looks like it already had aftermarket springs in it but IDK whose. they definitely weren't Progressives. I changed the fork oil and dropped the springs in. I just kept the spacers that were in there. They are a little longer than recommended but I can always trim them down.

I put the starter in, it works well so far. My battery is a little low so I'll have to charge it a bit before I'm satisfied. I might have to replace the solenoid or service the start switch, It was acting up the last couple of times I used it.

I'm about half way into swapping the instruments over. The UK speedo didn't have the chrome ring that holds the bezel on so I had to peel the one off the UK tach I have.

I forgot to get a batwing tool for the valve shims. One of the local shops carries them so I'll pick one up on the way home. That way I'll check and adjust the valves and balance the carbs as I'm putting it all back together.

Oh yeah! I found a pair of good condition matching side panels and a NOS matching rear fender. They should all be here by the end of the week.

Getting a 82 KZ1100A2 survivor this weekend. 18 Nov 2016 06:33 #748219

• GPzMOD750
  • User
Things are going a little slow.

I put the instruments back on and the KOSO volt meter on. The KOSO is kind of a neat little unit it does voltage, time and ambient outside temperature. I plugged the constant power wires into the front accessory plugins and spliced the key on to one of the running light wires and was up and running. I'm not too thrilled about the velcro mounting. It's mounted directly on the fork clamp cover right now with no modifications which looks crappy. The cover isn't in the best shape so I think I'm going to drill a hole for the wires to pass through and use body trim tape to hold it more securely. Funny thing, when I opened the package to install it only had Japanese instructions. That's probably why I got such a good deal. It's not that complicated and was sure I knew how it should be installed but I just double checked by finding English instructions on KOSO's US web page.

I got the rear fender in and it was perfect. It was pretty east to swap over. I put the tank back on. It had leaked out abut a half tank worth of gas which was almost everything that was in there. I had it sitting outside under a tarp since I didn't have a large enough gas can to drain it into. It also looks like I scuffed the rear lower corner against the wall when I was unsuccessfully trying to situate it to minimize fuel loss. It needed a touch up for the rock chip anyway. I found an almost perfect match Duplicolor touch up pen at Pep Boys. It's a Chrysler color, Inferno Red Metalic, I tested it on a bad spot on one of my replacement side panels and is just the slightest bit off and should be almost unnoticeable unless you are looking for it.

Oh yeah, I pulled the aftermarket radio/intercom system off. If anyone is interested it's available with an XL helmet. It works as far as I know, it turns on and the PO said it needs an antenna for the CB to work. An unused cell phone plug in wire was rubbed down to bare wire through the insulation from where he had it tucked away.

I'll post pics as soon as I get it completely back together and it's had a half decent wash.