Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Kiwi Z1R 30 Dec 2016 02:00 #750941

• larriken
  • larriken's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 61
Yes, I know it's been a month but to be honest absolutely bugger all has been done to the Z1R! Terrible I know but I have thought about it lots, does that count? :cheer: I did buy a 71 Kawasaki Avenger 350 but I am pretty certain that it's not helping get the Zed finished! My kids like it though...

I did have a find a good score from Japan again and finally got a kickstart and the cover for under the seat. You wouldn't believe how long I have been looking for one of these.

Also started thinking about the motor. Yes, just thinking and working out what I have or more to the point don't have.

Plan to start getting serious on the motor over the next few months. Should be interesting since I am building the motor out of a pile of bits from several different bikes!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Kiwi Z1R 30 Dec 2016 02:03 #750942

• larriken
  • User
I did discover that I have two oil pumps in my pile of bits. They are both pretty similar but not the same. Does anyone out there have any idea which one is for a Z1000 motor?

Attachments:

Kiwi Z1R 31 Dec 2016 21:59 #751045

• larriken
  • User
Happy new year KZer's!

Stuck all my respective bit together to make me feel good lol! It might not have any guts but at least it looks like an engine ;)

Took time out to have a bit of a Z1R related read.............well maybe just a look at the pictures cos buggered if I know what they're on about. Bike looks good though!

Attachments:

Kiwi Z1R 01 Jan 2017 10:46 #751072

• Kawboy74
  • User
  • Thank you received: 52
Happy New Year to you as well. Cute couple of kids you got there, I remember when mine were that age, tons of fun.
The oil pump with the screwed on filter is earlier type for the Z1 units. The later type, that being the 1000 motors had the o-ring attachment of the filter. Check the gears for wear against the housing, there is a tolerance in the manual for it and make sure if you take it apart that you get the gear back on the right way or the gear will hit the screws that hold the halves together at speed. You could use either pump, I would use the one that is tighter for better performance. Also, they take different gaskets if they tear when disassembled.
Good luck.
David
1974 Z1A As original as I could get it
'88 ZX750R braided lines, mostly original
KZ1000 project on the bench
Burlington,Ontario,Canada
The following user(s) said Thank You: larriken

Kiwi Z1R 01 Jan 2017 15:22 #751106

• larriken
  • User

Kawboy74 wrote: Happy New Year to you as well. Cute couple of kids you got there, I remember when mine were that age, tons of fun.
The oil pump with the screwed on filter is earlier type for the Z1 units. The later type, that being the 1000 motors had the o-ring attachment of the filter. Check the gears for wear against the housing, there is a tolerance in the manual for it and make sure if you take it apart that you get the gear back on the right way or the gear will hit the screws that hold the halves together at speed. You could use either pump, I would use the one that is tighter for better performance. Also, they take different gaskets if they tear when disassembled.
Good luck.
David

Thanks David, you are a champion! Really appreciate the advice.

Kiwi Z1R 01 Jan 2017 19:49 #751135

• Kawboy74
  • User
  • Thank you received: 52
Any time. You look quite warm and comfortable reading. Have had the heat on in the shop for the last 1 1/2 weeks through Christmas but it is supposed to be rainy and about 6 celsius for the next two days. Good stimulating weather for getting some work done before heading back to the gulag next week.
1974 Z1A As original as I could get it
'88 ZX750R braided lines, mostly original
KZ1000 project on the bench
Burlington,Ontario,Canada

Kiwi Z1R 06 Feb 2017 21:28 #753799

• larriken
  • User
Mmmm decisions, decisions....................... Put on a standard set of turn signals but just not sure if I am going to use the original ones. Maybe something similar in style but a bit smaller. Not sure on this one, will have to keep pondering. :)
Attachments:

Kiwi Z1R 06 Feb 2017 21:34 #753800

• larriken
  • User
Have also finally got round to getting the seat pan repaired and strengthened at the sides. I decided against doing the repairs myself as I had a feeling my average welding skills might blow the very thin seat pan to bits. Gave it a to a mate of mine and it is now sturdy as and all the rotten bits have a backing bit of steel behind them now. The pan is now ready to be primed and painted and then off to the motor trimmers to be bought back to life again.

Attachments:

Kiwi Z1R 06 Feb 2017 21:37 #753801

• larriken
  • User
My small tank is now repaired and we got the blue all painted on the weekend, Just needs to be rubbed down and masked out ready to have the pin stripes painted on. Wahoo!

Attachments:

Kiwi Z1R 06 Feb 2017 22:23 #753802

• rrsmsw9999
  • User
  • Thank you received: 67
On that seat pan. You can get a weldable or rivetable upholstery tack strip that will make for much better outcomes over putting the seat cover on with the old worn out tangs. R
1980 KZ 1000E2
Crashed 6/2016

1980 KZ550A
Sold 3/2016

Kiwi Z1R 12 Feb 2017 18:14 #754187

• larriken
  • User

rrsmsw9999 wrote: On that seat pan. You can get a weldable or rivetable upholstery tack strip that will make for much better outcomes over putting the seat cover on with the old worn out tangs. R

Funnily enough a friend I mine pointed that out to me as well and then I saw your reply. Talked to the auto trimmer and they seem pretty happy with it the way it is so will see how it turns out. Fingers crossed.

Here is the seat pan after painting.

Attachments:

Kiwi Z1R 21 Feb 2017 14:20 #754780

• larriken
  • User
Wahooo! The small tank is nearly finished! Just needs to be flattened back and polished and it is good to go. Very stoked to have the complete set now. I just was not feeling the love towards the bigger tank. Everytime I imagined a Z1R it was always with the small one so that is what mine had to have.
Attachments: