Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

My 1990 KZP build 05 Oct 2014 22:53 #649777

• Markovich
  • Markovich's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
So more catch up..... So, while I was waiting for the Dyna S and the shims I needed I continued cleaning. Came out to the garage one day and noticed fork oil on the floor. So.....I just had to disassemble them and replace the fork seals and replace the fork oil. Needless to say the fluid that came out didn't look like oil, more like sludge. :unsure: Well, had to wait for the seals as well. I guess the most anxiety I had was leaving the front tire off on the center stand and jack to support it. I wouldn't recommend how I did it as it was tippy enough to make me nervous indeed. Got the forks done and re-installed along with the front wheel and still waited for parts. Finally got them and installed the new shims and the Dyna S. I lowered the back down by adjusting the springs on the rear shocks so I lowered the forks in the triple trees 1/2" to compensate. Seems OK.

Attachment 100_2117.jpg not found

1990 KZ1000P, 72k miles, 10 years in storage, new, bars, tires, chain and sprockets, seat, carbs cleaned, police equipement removed.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

My 1990 KZP build 05 Oct 2014 22:55 #649779

• Markovich
  • User
While I was at it I replaced the 4ea seals and the cover gasket on the sprocket side as I had a leak that was just begging to be fixed.

Attachment 100_2125.jpg not found

Attachment 100_2126.jpg not found

1990 KZ1000P, 72k miles, 10 years in storage, new, bars, tires, chain and sprockets, seat, carbs cleaned, police equipement removed.
Attachments:

My 1990 KZP build 05 Oct 2014 23:01 #649782

• Markovich
  • User
So, this is how it sits now and I'm sure I have left something out but I did add bar end mirrors. Now I have to decide whether to change out the rear fender and or put the KZ tail section on as I do like that look and whether to keep the stock exhaust or not.(PO put new exhaust on the bike just before the original wreck). I think I'll just ride it until the weather gets bad before I make any more decisions. Probably another week or so here in the northwest. ;)

Attachment 100_2128.jpg not found

Attachment 100_2129.jpg not found

Attachment 100_2130.jpg not found

Attachments:

My 1990 KZP build 05 Oct 2014 23:03 #649783

• Markovich
  • User
Now that I am caught up I will try to document any further changes as they are completed.
P.S. My stepson says my bar ends look gay. :laugh:

My 1990 KZP build 06 Oct 2014 03:14 #649793

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098

Markovich wrote: ...It ran so strong that at 70 mph I rolled on the throttle and at around 4500 rpm it broke the clutch loose in 5th gear. Looks like I'll need to look into that as well. No slippage in other gears but I figure the engine is putting out some torque. ;)

If not already done, would perform the clutch push-rod adjustment.

Clutch push rod adjustment -- Need and Purpose
[This is a 1 minute job from start to finish, maybe 2 minutes the first time.]

The FSM covering Z1 and KZ900 includes a periodic maintenance chart requiring clutch push rod adjustment at 2000 mile (3000 km) intervals and explains the need therefor in separate text, which explanation is quoted verbatim as follows:

Besides cable stretch, clutch plate wear also causes the clutch to go out of adjustment, with a decrease in push rod play. Due to this wear, the push rod gradually moves closer to the clutch release lever (at the lower end of the clutch cable) until it touches the adjusting screw. When the rod is touching the screw and therefore has no play, the clutch will not engage fully and clutch slippage will occur. Note that the clutch push rod does not necessarly have play just because the clutch hand lever has play, and so hand lever play alone cannot be used to determine whether or not the clutch requires adjustment.

The FSM covering '77-'79 KZ1000's includes a periodic maintenance chart requiring clutch adjustment at 5000 km intervals, and explains the need therefor in slightly different language, which explanation is quoted verbatim as follows:

Clutch plate wear also causes the clutch to go out of adjustment. This wear causes the play between the push rod and the adjusting screw to gradually diminish until the push rod touches the adjusting screw. When this play is lost, the clutch will not engage fully, causing the clutch to slip.
NOTE: Even though the proper amount of play exists at the clutch lever, clutch lever play alone cannot be used to determine whether or not the clutch requires adjustment.

end of excerpt

While the clutch may indeed be worn out with plates needing replacement, it isn't uncommon to overlook or be unaware of the clutch push rod adjustment feature, especially without a manual. It is worrisome to see anyone of unknown experience, without a manual or failing to consult a manual, proceed with clutch disassembly and plate replacement, without first being aware of and considering the clutch push rod adjustment.

Where both (1) clutch cable slack adjustment is perfect, and (2) clutch push rod adjustment is perfect, and the clutch still slips, suspicion is certainly toward the plates being worn and needing replacement. But other things can also cause slippage, even with proper adjustments and good plates, such as glazed plates or improper oil being used in the crankcase.

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markovich

Last edit: by Patton.

My 1990 KZP build 06 Oct 2014 08:39 #649811

• Markovich
  • User
Patton, thank you! I hadn't even considered that. I will take your advice and check that adjustment. This is why I'm convinced that without you here on KZR my bike wouldn't run. keith

My 1990 KZP build 06 Oct 2014 08:56 #649812

• 531blackbanshee
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 797
very nice integration into civilian duty.

one of the better done kz police conversions i have seen.

thanks for posting,

leon
skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markovich

My 1990 KZP build 06 Oct 2014 09:02 #649813

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
Here's a more legible version of the procedure for clutch push-rod adjustment --

Clutch push rod adjustment is a routine maintenance item explained in the service manual.

Assure having some "slop" in the clutch cable, using adjustments at the handlebar lever perch and at mid-cable along left frame down tube near the exhaust header.

Removing the access plate should reveal the adjustment screw and locknut.

First, slightly loosen the locknut.

The hidden end of the screw interfaces with the push rod.

The basic idea is to lightly seat the screw against the push rod, then back the screw 1/4 turn away from the push rod, to thereby provide a small gap between end of screw and push rod.

Here's a possible snag ---
The screw is part of an actuator assembly.
On some designs (screw-type), the screw turns clockwise to seat before turning counter-clockwise to provide the gap.
On other designs (ball and ramp), the screw turns counter-clockwise to seat before turning clockwise to provide the gap.

If the attempted adjustment fails when turning the screw clockwise to seat before turning counter-clockwise to provide the gap, try again by turning the screw counter-clockwise to seat before turning clockwise to provide the gap.

Remember to snug the locknut before finishing. Just snug is plenty tight enough.

Lastly, reduce "slop" in the cable to produce desired amount of free play in the lever at the perch.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

My 1990 KZP build 06 Oct 2014 09:07 #649814

• Patton
  • KZr Legend

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

My 1990 KZP build 06 Oct 2014 10:04 #649822

• Markovich
  • User
Patton, I checked the clutch adjustment and it was indeed tight. Good call there! I will be taking it out here shortly to see if it is improved. I do know that it goes better into neutral from first gear when running. I didn't expect that until your post. Will let you know the results after the ride. Thanks for the advice. Keith

My 1990 KZP build 07 Oct 2014 19:22 #650027

• Markovich
  • User
Well I promised a result on my ride. WOW! was that ever a fun ride. Patton the clutch adjustment did the trick. Thanks for that insight. It pulls great and I am astounded at how fast it is. I did have a GS 1000 Suzuki years ago but don't remember it being nearly as fast. Ran straight and true at high speeds on the highway with no bobbles. I'm sure that I will just have to eventually go into the head/cylinder at some point but will wait it out as it is everything I was hoping it would be. I have pestered you guys many times as I worked on this and you have been instrumental with your advice. Can't thank you enough! For now, I'm in the wind. I'll keep you posted.....Keith

My 1990 KZP build 01 Jun 2015 00:30 #674714

• Copbike1000
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
Great job on bike. you are bringing back major memories of my 1994 Kawasaki KZ1000P. I've taken off all the cop stuff on the bike and, now it looks more like a KZ1000. Wiring was quite the project but well worth the hard work and countless hours put into rewiring!

I've finally got it running. Will ride it for a while then, do some more mods then, paint the bike. click on my signature to see before pics and after. Best of luck with your bike. Happy, safe riding! :)
1994 Kawasaki KZ1000P, Rancho Cordova, Ca
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/598384...-project-bike#674472