Hey Gordone.,thanks very much. I appreciate the kind words.
At the moment its too hot to do anything here in Holland.Today I spent a lot of time in the basement. Its very cool down there. Im repairing/renovating
my 'bakfiets' (cargo bike).When the heatwave breaks,Ill get back to the Z.
I just spent the last few hours reading this entire thread and find that is one very interesting build (not my style but I love the workmanship that has gone into it) and I hope you get everything sorted soon, keep us up to speed on it.
Spring seems to have sprung here in the lowlands. A cracking day today. I didnt put the bike in storage this winter,its just been sitting outside on the street, under an overhang on the building next door,so, out of the rain but exposed to everything else. Today was cleaning day ( #1) . A good scrub behind the ears. The worst affected was the exhaust. a second hand 1980s job that I got off ebay. The chrome was already a bit pitted and worn in places and the top of the down pipes where they fit into the head, have no chrome. The rust was really starting to blossom, so that got a good polish. It came up ok. Tomorrow,I want to pull the downpipes off and give them a good going over. I cant get at everything when its on the bike. The paint seems to be holding up really well ( My first attempt at painting) and a bit of Turtle wax brought that up lovely. Very happy with it. The powder coating on the wheels and swingarm looks good with no chips or bubbles.The engine is a real mess though. The engine cases are oxidizing and the PJ1 is knackered.Apart from the mess where fuel took it off, theres a small oil weep from the head ( I think) and thats taken more paint off. The rest has oxidation showing through. Itll be a repaint this summer im afraid.
Other than that,its not looking bad at all (especially for a bike thats sat outside all winter). A bit more cleaning tomorrow and that should be it sorted. Oh and it started up no problem.
Thanks Leon. Where have you been? Yup,getting it ready for the season again. Its all cleaned up and de-rusted. Very happy (and surprised) that it started up so easily the other day. I ordered some packing for the exhaust today and Ive been looking at the handlebars. The ones I have fitted are not so comfortable. Too wide I think. Also,I noticed that the left hand side is flexing, which cant be good. I have a couple of other sets downstairs,Ill try them out over the weekend. There are a few other small jobs I want to do this year but mainly I want to get out and do some riding.
still around,haven't posted much.
we are having a cold,wet, nasty winter here in oklahoma(no snow just the rest of the sh!t) and i don't have the central heat and air installed in my shop yet so we have been hibernating.
my Z1R has fresh rubber a charged battery and is ready to go,as soon as we get some decent weather:silly:
skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!
Sorry to hear that Leon, were having great weather here these last couple of weeks. Having my lunch breaks outside in just a t-shirt last week!!. Today,working on the bike again (outside). I got the exhaust baffle packed. See here;
I also changed the bendy handlebars. I had a shorter steel chromed bar. About 70cm,compared to the 80cm bendy set. A bit of a tight squeeze getting everything fitted and re routing the cables to avoid having to shorten anything but what a difference it has made. The bike feels totally different. It feels quicker, more nimble, more responsive. I had a quick blast around the block and it felt like a different bike!