Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

CSR1000 Project Build 27 Oct 2016 10:49 #746308

• scubaanders
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 233
Davido when I ran the electrolysis method this summer on my ZX750A1. I put the tank in a Curver under bed storage box that I picked up on Bauhaus for cheep, so vinegar/sodium carbonate solution would not run of my balcony.

By the way, don’t forget to flip the tank upside down once in a while to. Because the tank will not be 100% full, and the area around the filler hole will get all rusty from the humidity and the air pocket up there. So flip it upside down. I forgot that with my tank and the ZX750A1 tank leaves room for a big air pocket in that hump.
/A
Gpz750R1 1982
Gpz750A1 1983
Gpz1100A2 1984
FZ750 1985
Gpz900R -91
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

CSR1000 Project Build 27 Oct 2016 13:04 #746309

• davido
  • davido's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 285
scubaanders, I didnt have a plastic tub big enough for the tank to go in so I have the it sitting over a smaller one. I wasnt expecting any leaks,to be honest.
I cant flip the tank over as its not sealed on the top ( I drilled out the fuel cap section to fit a the flush cap ) but I did put a spirit level across the top of the tank where the hole is and jacked it up level so I could fill it to the brim. There shouldnt be any air pockets in it. Fingers crossed.
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
CB550
(CB500/4)
(CBX750)
GSF600
KZ1000CSR
XT 600e

CSR1000 Project Build 30 Oct 2016 07:50 #746533

• davido
  • User
Busy weekend. The front mindicators wouldnt mount on the headlight in the original position ,the stems were too short and I couldnt be arsed welding mounts for the rear, so I made up some aluminium brackets to mount everything.

Then I dusted off the meth lab

and spent half a day anodizing

Heres what happens when you dont degrease properly before dumping in the anodizing tank

Not such a problem with this piece as the tail light covers it

Anyway. A good result all round

Decided to leave the tank til next weekend. Maybe I find time some evening this week.
CB550
(CB500/4)
(CBX750)
GSF600
KZ1000CSR
XT 600e

CSR1000 Project Build 16 Nov 2016 13:02 #748089

• davido
  • User
Well,my interweb has been down for a while now.finally back on so time for a progress report. I got the tank stripped outside and in. I cut out the brackets for the tank badges to get at the rot behind them and wot a lot o rot it was

Nasty! Anyway,I had at it with some solder and got it plugged up

Not very beautiful but seems to have done the job. After that I went over it all with bodyfiller,there were also a lot of dents. Then I mounted it on my 'Neil Peart' signature tank painting stand.

and gave it a good dose of undercoat

Happy with the result,though its only a first coat,its a big improvement. I can now see where I need to do a bit of extra leveling and filling but Ill leave it to go off for a while.
The (potential) bad news is that after soldering,I tested for leaks by filling the tank with water. I have since been told that petrol is thinner than water and can get through holes where water cant!!!!! So,its in the lap of the gods. Im not stripping it back again.Itll leak or it wont.
Other than that,Im still faffing around with the electrics. I got it all working again (except that pesky high beam indicator light.Hoping its just the bulb). Ive rewired the points (More melted insulation) and the alternator ( melted,burnt and cracked insulation).
Also had a go at pimping up the hydraulic clutch plate I made.

Came out ok. I tried anodising it and made a bollocks of that! (The dye pot and the sealer pot were too small) Ill have to strip it and redo it.
And finally,I ordered all the cables for the front end,so Ive got to figure out how to graft CSR/ZXR cables to ZXR/CSR mounts.
CB550
(CB500/4)
(CBX750)
GSF600
KZ1000CSR
XT 600e

CSR1000 Project Build 18 Nov 2016 07:11 #748225

• Wiers
  • User
  • Thank you received: 21
You have done a lot in a short time.
Great progress, keep it up.
I know how frustrating it can be, but better do it slow and good than fast and later on repairing a hasty job.
Eric

CSR1000 Project Build 27 Nov 2016 16:00 #749061

• davido
  • User
Coming up on 2 1/2 years . Ill never win that award for speed building now. Latest deadline is the end of the year (not sure which year though!!)
STILL havent finished the electrics. Everything seems to be working fine except the High beam indicator light.Its driving me mad. Bulb checks out,,continuity twixt everything is good, Low and high beam work,pass button works. No idea what the problem is but there IS a problem somewhere so I cant wrap the loom until Ive found it.
Today I struggled on with that and got nowhere so I had a go at the tank and plastics. Got everything sanded back, 2nd going over with the filler and a 2nd coat of primer on everything

Also,back to the wiring. I was a bit stuck on how to bring the wires from the tail light/rear indicators into the frame. Theres a nice handy hole but I didnt like the idea of a bunch of wires rubbing on the sharp edges

So,I had a beer and inspiration struck

A homemade grommit.Not very beautiful but it wont be seen and it should work well. Its just from bathroom silicone so its a bit floppy.If I was to do it again I would try Polymax or something like that.Something a bit more rigid.

And again with the anodising...... Clutch plate thing stripped,sand blasted,reanodised and still a failiure.

Very patchy finish and after attempting to polish out the blemishes,the anodising was coming off. I think my power source is too small.
I remember something about amps per mm2. If I can figure it out and find enough power,Ill do it one last time. If not,Ill just paint the little bugger.
Thats it for now
CB550
(CB500/4)
(CBX750)
GSF600
KZ1000CSR
XT 600e

CSR1000 Project Build 29 Nov 2016 08:50 #749146

• davido
  • User
WayHey! I found the problem with the high beam warning light. It was working the whole time but the bulb was the wrong wattage,( too low) so I couldnt see it working through the blue perspex on the console! Doh!! Very happy thats sorted and very happy that the problem wasnt my wiring. That gives a bit of a confidence boost. So,I can crack on with wrapping up the loom now.

Still on the electrics,the headlight bowl is very crowded now ( the switch gear multi connectors are in there rather than under the tank like they were originally) so I thought Id put the light together to check everything would fit. I found another example of the POs unique electrical repair skills

Have to sort that out.

That was it for today though I thought Id put its clothes on and have a look at the overall state of things.Very dusty (building in an active woodworkiing shop) but other than that,its coming together nicely.

CB550
(CB500/4)
(CBX750)
GSF600
KZ1000CSR
XT 600e
Attachments:

CSR1000 Project Build 29 Nov 2016 19:18 #749159

• Nerdy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 362

davido wrote:

Your rear brackets look a lot like mine, so obviously you came up with a brilliant solution. :laugh:

Attachment turn_signal_bracket-2.png not found

However, mine are just painted mild steel and they're attached using the upper license plate mounting bolts.
1979 KZ400 Gifted to a couple of nephews
1967 Yamaha YCS1 Bonanza
1980 KZ440B
1981 Yamaha XT250H
1981 KZ440 LTD project bike
1981 GPz550
2013 Yamaha FZ6R
Attachments:

CSR1000 Project Build 30 Nov 2016 06:53 #749171

• 531blackbanshee
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 797
that thing looks awesome!!!!! :evil:

is the front fender a lil high?

leon
skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0
The following user(s) said Thank You: davido

CSR1000 Project Build 30 Nov 2016 07:06 #749172

• Wiers
  • User
  • Thank you received: 21
Looking great!!!
All the hard work is paying off.
Nice to see it as a whole bike.

Eric
The following user(s) said Thank You: davido

CSR1000 Project Build 30 Nov 2016 13:18 #749188

• davido
  • User
Thanks Eric. Im off work this week so Im getting lots done. I finally got the loom wrapped up and put on the bike (hopefully not to come off again for a very long time) and I had a good talk with a painter today. Very informative. I now have an idea of what I need to do a reasonable paint job. The most difficult part is going to be deciding on a colour scheme !!
Other than that,I blew the dust off everything,stood back and took stock. Still a hundred small things to do ( Im sure there will always be)
but the main jobs left now are the brakes,carbs and paint.
The family will be away for crimbo,so thats a good time to do the paint.I can clean out the spare room and set up in there. The smell should be gone by the time they get back.
I ll strip the carbs this week and drop them off at my local for an ultrasonic bath. So maybe Ill play with the brakes tomorrow. Calipers are done already,(new seals and SS pistons all around) I just have to overhaul the MCs and get everything bled up.
CB550
(CB500/4)
(CBX750)
GSF600
KZ1000CSR
XT 600e

CSR1000 Project Build 30 Nov 2016 13:21 #749189

• davido
  • User

531blackbanshee wrote: that thing looks awesome!!!!! :evil:

is the front fender a lil high?

leon

Thanks Leon. Yes the front fender is just balanced on a block of wood for the photo. I couldnt be arsed bolting it on properly as its got to come off again for painting .
CB550
(CB500/4)
(CBX750)
GSF600
KZ1000CSR
XT 600e