My 81 kz650 Nightmare continues 4 years later....

• gibson_david28
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Welcome to my world!
More
01 Jun 2014 17:07 #634926 by gibson_david28
Replied by gibson_david28 on topic My 81 kz650 Nightmare continues 4 years later....

Patton wrote: If not already done, would assure that the timing advancer is lubed and properly functioning, and that it's not stuck in the retarded idle position.

It's not supposed to look like this :sick: :

Good Fortune! :)

That is pretty much what mine looks like. Looks like a good cleaning is in order.

81 kz650 (nightmare) hasn't been ran in years! Lucky me, but got it free!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jun 2014 17:20 #634930 by 650ed
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationIf yours is that bad you may want to replace it so you know it will work properly. There are a couple new old stock (NOS) ones on eBay. Ed

Attachment 00007_2014-06-01.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

More
01 Jun 2014 20:20 - 01 Jun 2014 20:24 #634953 by Patton
BE CAREFUL --
DO THIS OUTSIDE IN A WELL-VENTILATED AREA --
DO NOT BREATHE THE FUMES --

Could remove the rusty advancer assembly, and carefully soak it momentarily in muratic acid (use a small plastic or glass bowl), removing it every few seconds to monitor progress, which should soon dissolve most of the rust.

When completed to satisfaction, remove and rinse thoroughly with water.
DO NOT ADD WATER TO THE ACID remaining in the container.

Liberally sprinkle baking soda all over the part.
Rinse away the soda residue.
Repeat as necessary to completely neutralize the acid.

Dip in WD40 to displace the water residue (or may dip in acetone or alcohol or gasoline, followed by dip in motor oil).

Lube the moving parts, especially the weight arm pivot points. Would be okay to dip in motor oil and allow to drain, which should leave a thin oil film).

To help prevent recurrence of rust, may coat the entire assembly with a light film of grease such as molybdenum.

Reassemble, and assure the timing isn't 180° out.

Periodically check condition of the unit (to assure that rust isn't recurring) and add a drop of oil to each weight arm pivot (by accessing through the timing window).

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 01 Jun 2014 20:24 by Patton.

• gibson_david28
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Welcome to my world!
More
02 Jun 2014 16:46 #635055 by gibson_david28
Replied by gibson_david28 on topic My 81 kz650 Nightmare continues 4 years later....
Thanks for all the help and info. I cleaned up the timing area, lubed everything up, set the timing, and laid down some rubber in the driveway. The bike can now shift gears without bogging down at all... Only problem is I still have to clean and set the carbs. Wont idle without the choke on a little bit... Thanks to all you fine people I am one step closer to riding this nightmare.... Thank you

81 kz650 (nightmare) hasn't been ran in years! Lucky me, but got it free!