• Killman
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Now with 99% more ducks
More
04 May 2014 08:25 #631280 by Killman
Replied by Killman on topic Here I go again '81 750Ltd H2 Roller...kinda
Thanks Fast.
Yes, I have considered it, the lower triple appears to be damaged/messed with. I don't know enough about the maths and safeties on the engineering side to make an edumacated decision. One of those things I was going to try and figure out once my contract was over and I had time to fart like a normal folk. Contract's over tomorrow, by the way, thank God!

Anyone with the learning and smarts to point me in the right direction would have heaps of my gratitude. I just don't want to throw another new part at it, if it's not going to actually help the situation, and I don't have any kind of welding gear to effect changes to the current part myself. Although that is on my wish list for the Summer.

1983 kz440 ltd
Quack

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Killman
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 May 2014 16:29 #632464 by Killman
Replied by Killman on topic Rotating on the horns of a dilemna
I have a line on a KZ750 Ltd tank. It would cost me about CAD $175 with shipping :angry:
It's for an '81 and has the stock paint intact, black with gold pinstriping. However, as I've mentioned before, I can be a little ocd and it would drive me batshit to have the wrong year original paint tank on my ride.
I'm also kinda hung up on the whole bare metal tank thing now, too.
However, I would almost consider it sacrilege to strip intact original paint, especially in light of all the difficulties I've been having in locating a usable tank.

Damn it, damn it all to Hell!

1983 kz440 ltd
Quack

More
14 May 2014 16:51 #632466 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Rotating on the horns of a dilemna
If you strip it you will eventually live to regret it. :( Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• Killman
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 May 2014 17:10 #632470 by Killman
Not crazy about the idea.
I'd be super happy to leave it if it was the red and gold pinstripe, that always screamed Kawasaki to me, since I was a kid. Other option would be to keep it as is, custodian-like, until I found a replacement, but it's not really the look that I'm going for, and at the price, I'd never get my money back.

1983 kz440 ltd
Quack

• Killman
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
16 May 2014 09:49 #632642 by Killman
Does anyone know if a '80-'82 KZ550 Ltd tank will fit properly onto a '80-'82 KZ750 Ltd frame?
There seems to be a few of these floating around for a reasonable price and in a condition that I won't feel bad about stripping down.

1983 kz440 ltd
Quack

• Killman
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
30 May 2014 00:57 - 30 May 2014 01:10 #634584 by Killman
Well well well, good news, in a weird way.

Got the tank, the paint is far from perfect, (funny that I was actually relieved that the paint wasn't intact) but no dents or dings. So bare metal, here I come :evil:

Seat pan is in, dropping both pans off at the upholsterer on Saturday, so that's another gremlin stomped. Tires came in as well, went with a set of Shinko 230's, $175 shipped, they'll do for now. Grabbed some stripper, primer and paint from good ol' Can Tire. So we'll see about prettying this girl up after we see about getting all the king's horses together again, and then apart again, and then together again at last.

Got engaged, got a tattoo, got half my face drilled, pulled and stuffed by a demented dentist with an antipathy towards painkillers, finished my contract, agreed to fill in for an additional month, (dumbASS!!) so I haven't had a chance to do a damn thing to the bike in weeks. Fiancee's b-day is this weekend, so it'll probably be at least next weekend before I get any wrenching done. Totally stoked and kinda nervous about how my little plan is going to come together. Worse comes to worst, I break it down again and start over.

1983 kz440 ltd
Quack
Last edit: 30 May 2014 01:10 by Killman.

• Killman
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
13 Jun 2014 19:18 #636538 by Killman
Replied by Killman on topic All bow to the mighty Ultrasonic Power!! :)
Well I got my carbs separated and two of them busted down, (almost, looks like the PO busted off the top of the primary main jet in one of the carbs, unsure how I'm going to approach getting it out, or even if I should) and in the ultrasonic cleaner.

Thing's well into it's second 30 min. cycle and still only at 35 degrees. Seems to be doing a bang up job though! So that's a good day.
This may present an opportunity of sorts, though. Any carb gurus out there that think I should change the jetting for the 4 into 1 Vance & Hines?

Gonna spend tomorrow reassembling, polishing and painting these bad boys B)

1983 kz440 ltd
Quack

More
13 Jun 2014 19:25 #636540 by 650ed
Be sure to keep each carbs parts separate for those of the other . Parts need to go back into the bodies that they came from. They wear together and mixing them between carbs can cause problems. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• Killman
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
13 Jun 2014 19:41 #636544 by Killman
It's funny Ed, I remembered you giving that same advice as I was working today, and you'd better believe that I followed it. It's great to have you guys to keep me on the true path :laugh:

1983 kz440 ltd
Quack

• Killman
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
20 Jun 2014 22:15 #637364 by Killman
Well damn. Looks like the PO's snapped off the overflow tubes and soldered shut the drains. If it's not one thing it's another.

Anyone got some float bowls for a KZ750 Ltd4 kicking about? Just royally pissed of this poor guy in Florida. He had three good carbs, and the innards for the fourth, but with shipping it was going to be US$145. Just way too much when all I really need are bowls and jets. He was less than understanding.

1983 kz440 ltd
Quack