77 Kz650 first bike project-new member

More
09 Jun 2013 02:51 #591393 by alex_woham
77 Kz650 first bike project-new member was created by alex_woham
Hey guys, this is my first post here on the kz forum, and rather than introduce myself in the new members thread, and then post my project on this one, Ill knock em both out here. I recently became the proud owner of my first "real" bike, a beautiful 1977 kz650, for 600$. The guy who had it before the guy i bought it from (a former co-worker) added some really nice touches to the bike, things i would have done anyway! it already has a vance & hines 4 into 1 header, a dyna performance ignition, blue NGK plug wires, and 4 pods with K&N filters. It does have one or two issues though... first off it has a blown head gasket. A daunting task for sure, but i've changed one on a honda accord, how different can they be, right? right?? haha i need a kawasaki workshop manual. it also has (had) a pinhole leak in the tank. Today was my second day with the bike, and i've already put a new battery in, as well as apply a coat of 'red kote' fuel tank sealent to the inside of the tank. its drying as I type! Anyway, im very excited to be a part of the kz community and will keep this post updated with all further actions. I've got a lot planned! after an official kawasaki workshop manual and repairing the head gasket dilema, I want to change the seat (a little too 'cruiser' for my taste) and perhaps swap my wired wheels for mags, perhaps with dual discs up front... I'll post some pictures, let me know what you guys think!
-Alex

1978 Kz650b
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jun 2013 03:14 #591395 by Haybus
Replied by Haybus on topic 77 Kz650 first bike project-new member
Welcome to the forum. That bike is in really nice shape. I love wire wheels and wouldn't change to mags, but that's just me. I'm with ya on the seat.

Alan

1976 KZ900 LTD (sort of)
2005 FJR
2009 Hayabusa
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/557845...-streetfighter-build

More
09 Jun 2013 08:16 #591399 by boatdrinks
Replied by boatdrinks on topic 77 Kz650 first bike project-new member
Welcome to the forum! Paint looks to be in great shape. Looks like you have a very nice starting point there. I'd keep the spokes too.

Charles
Madison, AL
1978 KZ650 B2A, Luminous Dark Blue

More
09 Jun 2013 08:20 #591400 by boatdrinks
Replied by boatdrinks on topic 77 Kz650 first bike project-new member
By the way that appears to be a 1978 model. The '77 had the front brake caliper in front of the forks. Before you buy a factory manual you will want to be sure of the model you have to make sure you get the correct manual. There are some differences, some significant between model years.

Charles
Madison, AL
1978 KZ650 B2A, Luminous Dark Blue
The following user(s) said Thank You: alex_woham

More
09 Jun 2013 09:23 #591403 by P21
Replied by P21 on topic 77 Kz650 first bike project-new member
i vote keep the spokes too
bike looks nice
but what got me going is that pontiac oh daddy like

Kawasaki KZ 1000 Police (2002) P21

More
09 Jun 2013 09:46 #591407 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 77 Kz650 first bike project-new member

alex_woham wrote: Hey guys..first post here on the kz forum...1977 kz650...one or two issues...blown head gasket. A daunting task for sure...need a kawasaki workshop manual...got a lot planned! after an official kawasaki workshop manual and repairing the head gasket....

Hello, Alex, and WELCOME to KZr! :cheer:

The head gasket is sometimes misdiagnosed as the leak source.
There are several different sources for oil leaks, most of which are are readily repairable.
If not already done, would positively identify the exact point of oil leakage.

Thoroughly clean engine and allow to fully dry.
Spray foot powder over edges of head gasket, valve gasket, half moons, tach drive, tach drive, exhaust ports, oil cooler lines.
Basically, cover top end of the clean dry engine with white foot powder.
It will appear almost as "painted" white.

Using a flash light or shop light, start the engine and inspect closely for the first sign of emerging oil, which will darken...

A leakdown test may also help confirm a leaking head gasket.
A leakdown test injects air pressure through the spark plug hole to pressurize the combustion chamber.

Air heard escaping from exhaust port indicates exhaust valve not fully closing (perhaps too tight clearance or damaged valve or valve seat).

Air heard escaping from carb intake indicates intake valve not fully closing (perhaps too tight clearance or damaged valve or valve seat).

Air heard escaping from crankcase breather indicates loss of compression past rings into crankcase (perhaps worn piston rings or cylinders).

Air heard escaping from head gasket area indicates indicates loss of compression past head gasket (perhaps due to a blown head gasket).

Can perform a poor man's leak down test by introducing compressed air into a spark plug hole and listening to where it escapes from the combustion clamber. This may be done at TDC or any other cam positions where both valves are fully closed. Top dead center (TDC) is when the piston is at its highest position. An easy way to tell TDC is by alignment of the T mark with the case mark when viewed through the timing window.

May introduce a spurt of compressed air by using a rubber cone-tip blow gun (rubber air nozzle) held into the spark plug hole. And of course keep holding it in position to keep air from coming back out the spark plug hole while listening for escaping air at other places. The air compressor should not be running while listening because the noise will likely drown out any sound of escaping air.

Air heard escaping from exhaust port indicates exhaust valve not fully closing (perhaps too tight clearance or damaged valve or valve seat).

Air heard escaping from carb intake indicates intake valve not fully closing (perhaps too tight clearance or damaged valve or valve seat).

Air heard escaping from crankcase breather indicates loss of compression past rings into crankcase (perhaps worn piston rings or cylinders).

Air heard escaping from head gasket area indicates indicates loss of compression past head gasket (perhaps due to a blown head gasket).

A leaking valve may sometimes be resolved by adjusting the clearance to within specs.

A leaking head gasket may sometimes be resolved by torquing the head fasteners when the engine is stone cold (such as after sitting overnight).

Until obtaining a genuine Kawasaki service manual, here's a free download that may prove helpful.

Click > KZ650 FSM download

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
09 Jun 2013 10:32 #591414 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic 77 Kz650 first bike project-new member
The engine on the bike appears to be a 1979 engine. You can tell by the reed valves on top of the cylinder head cover. The rest of the bike appears to be a 1978. It has the caliper behind the forks as boatdrinks pointed out and it has the 1978 KZ650-B2 paint. You can easily check the engine and frame dates by looking up the vin (stamped into the steering neck) and the engine serial number (stamped next to the oil filler cap) at the following website:

models.kz650.info/index.htm

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
09 Jun 2013 11:44 #591425 by alex_woham
Replied by alex_woham on topic 77 Kz650 first bike project-new member
Wow thanks guys, yes i had just assumed it was a 77' because thats what the title said! The previous owner also told me it had 750 heads... perhaps i have 79 750 heads, and my original 78 bottom end, is that possible? also thanks patton! I will give those tests a try for sure. Also thanks to p21 for noticing the pontiac... its my dads 67 GTO, he felt like he had to work on something while i worked on the bike! :laugh:

1978 Kz650b

More
09 Jun 2013 12:37 - 09 Jun 2013 12:43 #591433 by 650ed

alex_woham wrote: Wow thanks guys, yes i had just assumed it was a 77' because thats what the title said! The previous owner also told me it had 750 heads... perhaps i have 79 750 heads, and my original 78 bottom end, is that possible? also thanks patton! I will give those tests a try for sure. Also thanks to p21 for noticing the pontiac... its my dads 67 GTO, he felt like he had to work on something while i worked on the bike! :laugh:

Not possible. The 1979 KZ750 was a 2 cylinder bike; not a 4 cylinder. Also, the 4 cylinder KZ750 engines used a hyvo cam chain which would not match the crankshaft in a 1978 KZ650 bottom end. Check the engine serial number as I posted above and you will see what model year engine you have. Ed

Last edit: 09 Jun 2013 12:43 by 650ed.

More
09 Jun 2013 13:22 #591445 by reborn650
Replied by reborn650 on topic 77 Kz650 first bike project-new member
Here is my two cents worth.....front forks could be from a 1977 Kz650 C1 Custom (or later) that had the twin disc setup mounted behind the fork tubes. Previous owner may have upgraded them. The trapezoid-shaped master cylinder appears to be a single disc set up which was from '78 and later. The 1977 C1 had a round master cylinder. BTW, if you are going to upgrade to a twin front disc you will have to go with the larger 5/8 master cylinder to increase the volume of brake fluid.

Based on the pic of the valve covers, I would suggest that the motor is a late 650 series or early 750 model with the hy-vo chain setup. As mentioned earlier, check the engine serial number as other parts could have been swapped out.

This link might be of assistance.

forums.kz650.info/index.php?topic=6680.0

Cheers and enjoy. CF

-1977 Kz650 Custom bought new by brother. Now with 810 kit, GPz750 cams, intake valves, Mikuni 29 smoothbores, velocity stacks, Dyna Igntion, MAC pipe and other goodies.
-1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi Red/Tan
-Toyota FJ Cruiser - 6 speed tank
-2010 Mazda CX-7 Turbo (my bride's)
-1998 Jeep TJ Wrangler 4.0...

More
09 Jun 2013 13:43 #591451 by 650ed

reborn650 wrote: Here is my two cents worth........I would suggest that the motor is a late 650 series or early 750 model with the hy-vo chain setup. As mentioned earlier, check the engine serial number as other parts could have been swapped out...
Cheers and enjoy. CF

The KZ750 4 cylinder bikes didn't come with the kick starter; his bike has one, so I doubt it's a 750. If there is any doubt about the engine size it can be easily resolved by looking at the left side of the engine (see pic). There you will find the casting shows "652 cc." Ed

[IMG

More
09 Jun 2013 13:50 #591454 by alex_woham
Replied by alex_woham on topic 77 Kz650 first bike project-new member
awesome, thanks guys for the links. heres my two codes-

frame-KZ650B-002601
engine-KZ650BE06584990

So if im reading this right I have a 1977 frame, with a 78 engine, forks, and coverings. correct me if im wrong!

1978 Kz650b