Super cheap KZ750 twin Daily Driver.

More
02 Jan 2013 20:25 #565602 by grasscutter
Replied by grasscutter on topic Super cheap KZ750 twin Daily Driver.

martin_csr wrote:

grasscutter wrote: ...

I was sitting on it, checking out the switches, lights, etc., and see the red 'stop lamp' is
lit every time I apply the brakes
. I tell him, 'think a bulb might be out'.

He says, 'oh no! That light is supposed to go on, to tell you the brake light is working'.
Could barely contain the laughter.
Well...he was right about one thing. The brake light worked.
Tail light didn't!

He's probably right about the stop lamp indicator. The diagrams for your bike list an Outage Indicator Switch. Not sure about the 750-Twin, but on my 81 650 the stop lamp is supposed to illuminate whenever the brake is applied. When the brake light bulb is burned out or the circuit malfunctions, either the light won't illuminate or an outage indicator switch causes the stop lamp warning light to flash or something. Mine has never burned out & it's been a while since I've read up on it. hee.

Its already been covered.
Here's my response a few posts back:

<<<You guys are right about the bulb / stop lamp light.
My mistake!
I quickly assumed it was like the other Japanese bikes I've got, where it only lit up, if a bulb was out. Then I again assumed that to be the case, because the tail light part of the dual filament actually WAS burnt.

Just went out to the garage, and checked.
Yup, guess that's the Kawasaki warning system.
Cool.>>>

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jan 2013 04:52 #565668 by Kitten Tooth
Replied by Kitten Tooth on topic Super cheap KZ750 twin Daily Driver.
Hahahah had the same problem when i bought my 81' KZ1000. I got the bike fore 800 bucks. The guy somehow fired it up and had it blasting around his yard to prove to me it ran.. lets just say alot of starter fluid was involved :D I got it home and couldn't get it started for the life of me.. when i finally fixed and started riding it i kept hearing a crunching noise from the back end when downshifting (mildly) to slow down for a stop or whenever i was rolling the bike backwards. I was at a gas station when my dad came up with the brilliant idea of checking my chain tension. It was SOOO damn tight... no wiggle at all.. my front and rear sprocket were worn just like yours only it didnt look like a table saw blade :) good god man, thats aweful. I passed up another motorcycle before i bought my KZ1000. I fired it up and whenever i let the clutch out the bike would die.. i finally got it fired up and rolling along but shifter pedal felt like it was grinding really bad and i only had one shot at a good bike so i passed. It was a 16 valve GS750. A buddy of mine bought it later (randomley, never told him about it) and he said all he did was adjust the clutch and it fires up the road like a rocket. Im having one of those "Wish i knew then what i know now" moments.

1981 Kawasaki KZ1000-K LTD
1983 Suzuki GS300L-D
1982 Suzuki GS300L-Z sold:(
1976 KZ400D3
1973 Z900... I WISH

DO A BARREL ROLL!!

More
09 Jan 2013 20:08 - 10 Jan 2013 01:43 #566617 by grasscutter
Realize this isn't a very exciting 'project' thread... Since its just a bone stock resurrection.

But what the heck... here's another mini installment.

I hate oil leaks, oil seeps, oil drips of any kind.
A good running bike is a clean bike....
I know...I know... it can be hard to track down all the little o-rings, seals, etc.

Did an easy one a day or so ago.
Tach cable seals.

Pulled cable out.
Pulled tach drive worm gear out.

Attachment tachdriveout1.jpg not found

Tach drive components laid out. (Note the red washer! Its a felt type gasket. Look how trashed the original one was.)

Attachment tachdriveparts1.jpg not found

All put back together, installing cable.

Attachment tachcableinstall1.jpg not found

Attachments:
Last edit: 10 Jan 2013 01:43 by grasscutter. Reason: duplicate pics

More
09 Jan 2013 20:14 #566618 by grasscutter
The KZ750 twin has quite the 'buzz' to it, at about 5K and up.
Looked at the rubber in the pegs, and they've seen better days.
Parts were cheap. Under $20 for 4 bushing for both sides.

Before.

Attachment 10513frontpegs1.jpg not found

After.

Attachment 10513frontpegsnew1.jpg not found

That should make at least a little difference, eh?

**Sprockets showed up from BikeBandit today, so I'll do those tonight, and get its 1st oil change done.

**Also will post pics of the dreaded 'starter clutch' bolts repair. There are some definite things I noticed while doing this inspection. I can see why nearly everyone who has had a KZ750 twin, has had the starter clutch bolts come loose. Sometimes to catastrophic failures. Will try and post that write up by the weekend.
Attachments:

More
09 Jan 2013 22:47 #566639 by KZJOE900
Replied by KZJOE900 on topic Super cheap KZ750 twin Daily Driver.
Don't worry about it being a stock restoration or not, grasscutter. A lot of us here enjoy that just as much as the modded bikes. And bone stock restorations will generally bring a higher return for the investment. I can appreciate both stock and custom. When I did my restoration thread, I did it just as much for myself to photo log the project as much as I did it for others who may appreciate it. And also to be able to get help if I needed. Do you plan on putting the a stock seat on it?

Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450

More
10 Jan 2013 13:44 #566699 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Super cheap KZ750 twin Daily Driver.
grasscutter wrote: "Realize this isn't a very exciting 'project' thread... Since its just a bone stock resurrection."

Actually, a true restoration to stock can be much more challenging than making modifications because the choice and availability of parts is more limited. If you have a problem finding any parts be sure to ask on this forum. Some of us know of a fair number of parts dealers. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)