Look what my neighbor gave me (not a KZ)......

More
26 Aug 2012 22:53 #544949 by 74ullc
No, still the old condensor. If I am able to get the revving out of control problem fixed then I will replace the points/condensor.

Gulf Coast, Texas
1977 KZ1000LTD
1984 VF700F

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Aug 2012 23:00 #544954 by kzz1king
Replied by kzz1king on topic Look what my neighbor gave me (not a KZ)......

74ullc wrote: No, still the old condensor. If I am able to get the revving out of control problem fixed then I will replace the points/condensor.

From the little bit of research I have done both our problems are common to bad case seals. A leakdown test, pressure or vacuum, can be used to determine this. I am not going to bother. 38 year old seals are probably bad.
Wayne

74 Z1 1075, 29 smoothbores, owned and ridden since 1976
Home built KZ1000 turbo setup

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/532476...s-budget-turbo-build

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/532489-74-z-makeover

More
26 Aug 2012 23:34 #544967 by 74ullc

kzz1king wrote: No, mine would only run if sprayed in the cylinder or carb. It leaks so much there is no draw on the carb. At least I think it is crank seals.
Wayne

No draw on the carb at all? That could be rings too correct? I had some pull on the carb for sure. I put my hand over the carb to see if I could feel blow back from a stuck open reed valve and it was pulling for sure. But the thing kept running with the carb blocked off!

I printed out the crankcase, crankcase covers and crankshaft drawings from bikebandit. Looks like air can get in from the left side crank seal and oil from the right.

I had what looked like fresh oil dripping out from behind the dynamo on the left side after I ran it yesterday. From what I can tell that means the oil was sucked into the crankcase from the right, spun around a bit, and then some of it transfered to the combustion chamber and the rest of it blown out the left. I should have removed the oil fill cap to see if air was rushing in and out of the tranny case when running. That would for sure mean the right seal is bad. Then for the left side I'll have to see if that oil dripping out from under the dynamo has a hint of gasoline smell to it. I dont think there is another route for oil to get from one side of the engine to the other on the DT125 but I'm not for sure.

Oil being drawn into the engine from the right side could explain why it ran with the carb covered up. It was burning the oil being sucked in!

Gulf Coast, Texas
1977 KZ1000LTD
1984 VF700F