Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

THIS TIME ITS A DRAGBIKE 16 Jun 2012 09:13 #529547

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098

Mercury Kid wrote: Having just done this, I'll tell you what I was told by the guy at the model shop. Don't use Play-Doh, it doesn't exactly retain it's shape after being compressed, it rebounds a bit....

The model shop guy is correct.
Play-Doh is slightly "spongy," whereas old fashion modeling clay holds its shape.
(At least for the 30 year old cans of Play-Doh still on hand. :lol: )

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

THIS TIME ITS A DRAGBIKE 16 Jun 2012 13:13 #529581

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
  • Thank you received: 299

Attachment 57-0300_2012-06-16.jpg not found

Demand the origional! :woohoo:
posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.
Attachments:

THIS TIME ITS A DRAGBIKE 16 Jun 2012 23:20 #529715

• Mercury Kid
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Here's the clearance between my 1105 Wiseco 10.25:1 street comp pistons and stock valves with .410 lift 250 duration cams.

Your motor presents a quandary. The J model combustion chanber is larer, because it's mad for a 69.4mm bore, but with the larger valves, there is more likelihood it may touch, but the pistons have larger reliefs, so you may not have issues there, the issues might arrive between the head and the pistons instead of the valves as usual.
'76 KZ900-Z1 clone
Z1 70's period longbike
Attachments:

THIS TIME ITS A DRAGBIKE 17 Jun 2012 21:47 #529971

• JEFFG1
  • JEFFG1's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
well i talked to the head guy i know he wont be able to get to the head for a few days so i went ahead and put the motor in that way i can do some other thing that nee done like put on the chain - air shift - mount the air tank ect.

Attachment DRAGBIKE295.jpg not found

Attachment DRAGBIKE297.jpg not found

my son got out the paint and touched up 2 scratches that we got on the frame what a bitch putting in that motor was ( the scratches were on his side :( )not bad he fixed them up.

Attachment DRAGBIKE298.jpg not found

Attachment DRAGBIKE300.jpg not found

put the head on and she is ready for my friend to come, this thing is almost ready to go i can smell the c12 already .
1976 KZ 900 PRO STREET 1977 kz1000 dragbike project
Attachments:

THIS TIME ITS A DRAGBIKE 17 Jun 2012 23:06 #529985

• wireman
  • User

Attachment quag_2012-06-17.jpg not found

B) B) B) B) B)
posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.
Attachments:

THIS TIME ITS A DRAGBIKE 20 Jun 2012 09:00 #530490

• JEFFG1
  • User
got the airshift hooked up still have to mount the tank havent decided where to put it yet, god i thought i was going to puck i was goofing with the shifter and thought i was in neutral and started spinning the main sprocket and heard some klunking sound i about shit :sick: i thought i had messed up the trans. then all this work would be for nothing went in and went to bed very little sleep - went to work still with this in my mind so i got home and messed with the shifter some more and it got itself settled in and mow everything is good :woohoo:

Attachment Picture079.jpg not found

also put the clutch actuator on the supt.i put it on the outside of it and still had to shortin the push rod and found a cap off of some carb. cleaner to cover the exposed part.

Attachment Picture083.jpg not found

Attachment Picture082.jpg not found

now i am thinking of putting it on the inside of the support but i will have the shortin the push rod even more not sure if it being on the outside would matter or not . well i guess its time by the sound of the click on the time clock its time to go to work.
Attachments:

THIS TIME ITS A DRAGBIKE 20 Jun 2012 09:42 #530496

• wireman
  • User
B) B) B) B) B)

THIS TIME ITS A DRAGBIKE 20 Jun 2012 15:37 #530548

• les holt
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 288
By looking I'd put it on the inside, being made of plastic and only having the 2 bolts to hold it in place it may give way while using the clutch, on the inside it may be supported all the way around. Just a thought.
Looking great by the way!

Les

THIS TIME ITS A DRAGBIKE 20 Jun 2012 16:51 #530560

• JEFFG1
  • User
les i am with you on the clutch thing going to move it tomarrow . plus i think it will look better

THIS TIME ITS A DRAGBIKE 20 Jun 2012 20:03 #530587

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor
2 words

bad azz

THIS TIME ITS A DRAGBIKE 23 Jun 2012 08:03 #531187

• LarryC
  • User
  • Thank you received: 309

JEFFG1 wrote: guy at work brought in a hone and we got that done got home and my son and i put the jug on. man i looke down the plug hole and the pistons are super close to the head i have a 43thous head gasket on it, i am going to have to figure out how to make sure the valves wont hit??? it seems like a pain in the ass to bolt the cams in ect just to role it over to check but maybe thats not how you do it,the pistons are 13-1 with the j head i would think there would be room in there maybe someone has done this and knows if there is a problem. the cams suck they are only 380 lift so the valves wont be opening that much i wouldnt think :unsure:

Attachment DRAGBIKE293.jpg not found

Attachment DRAGBIKE294.jpg not found

When I build them, I use light springs on the valves and check everything with a dial indicator. Your closest point of contact for the intake valves will be just after TDC, generally around 5 - 8 degrees.

It's a fairly big bore. With your .380" lift cams, put them on 108/110 centers and you should be in good shape.
Larry C.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

Last edit: by LarryC.

THIS TIME ITS A DRAGBIKE 25 Jun 2012 09:02 #531592

• JEFFG1
  • User
thanks larry i will pass it on to the guy doing the setup. i am taking the head to a friend tonite to shim the valves and i think wed. they are going to button it up man i cant wait. now on to the clutch thing i got to looking at it and there is no way that it is going on the inside no room so i am going to reinforce it, we were at the track sat. and i was looking at a few bikes and at least half of them had it on the outside. also watched brandon on the line blow the cush drive all over the track on his :sick: thought it was the trans. i guess if somthing is going to break that was the best and cheapest part to break. :dry:

THIS TIME ITS A DRAGBIKE 27 Jun 2012 08:48 #532060

• JEFFG1
  • User
well a friend of mine came over monday and we shimed the valves that went very good took some time but no problem :woohoo: now it is tuesday so the cam guy came down and we started getting that job done i was pretty fired up about getting this done felt like this build was about to come to a end. (well not) as i had thought we got it all put togeather and was checking the clearences bigger than shit the ex. valve touched the piston :sick: witch dont surprise me because nothing has gone smooth on this motor from day one so we are back to the pistons hanging out of the cases. seems that the person that i got the block off of has decked the block. the pistons stick out of them about 35-40 thous. so what i need is a spacer that is about 80 thous. is what i was told to be safe the problem is i spent about a hour an half trying to find one but cant find one that will fit my motor i have to call fast by gast this morning on there web site they say that they make custom ones, hope so.if anyone knows where to get a 80 thous. thick 3.210 bore for it would be great ( you got to love this stuff )

THIS TIME ITS A DRAGBIKE 27 Jun 2012 15:56 #532124

• JEFFG1
  • User
called fast by gast they didnt have what i need so they told me to contact cometic and i did, they are going to make me one for what i need $37.00 man you cant bitch about that and they are in ohio hope this works...

THIS TIME ITS A DRAGBIKE 27 Jun 2012 16:04 #532127

• OLMEK
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Wow... That is GREAT.... (fingers crossed)...

THIS TIME ITS A DRAGBIKE 29 Jun 2012 06:42 #532561

• LarryC
  • User

JEFFG1 wrote: well a friend of mine came over monday and we shimed the valves that went very good took some time but no problem :woohoo: now it is tuesday so the cam guy came down and we started getting that job done i was pretty fired up about getting this done felt like this build was about to come to a end. (well not) as i had thought we got it all put togeather and was checking the clearences bigger than shit the ex. valve touched the piston :sick: witch dont surprise me because nothing has gone smooth on this motor from day one so we are back to the pistons hanging out of the cases. seems that the person that i got the block off of has decked the block. the pistons stick out of them about 35-40 thous. so what i need is a spacer that is about 80 thous. is what i was told to be safe the problem is i spent about a hour an half trying to find one but cant find one that will fit my motor i have to call fast by gast this morning on there web site they say that they make custom ones, hope so.if anyone knows where to get a 80 thous. thick 3.210 bore for it would be great ( you got to love this stuff )

Here's your photo cropped and resized..... The proud piston is easy to see.

IMO, the way to go is get the valve reliefs cut deeper on the pistons and shoot for zero deck with the spacer.

Attachment piston.jpg not found

Larry C.
Attachments:

THIS TIME ITS A DRAGBIKE 29 Jun 2012 06:48 #532562

• LarryC
  • User
I ran into a situation where J pistons & big block were used with a heavily shaved KZ head. The intake valves touched the edge of the valve pocket where the red arrow is pointing.

Attachment piston2.jpg not found

Larry C.
Attachments:

THIS TIME ITS A DRAGBIKE 29 Jun 2012 11:14 #532598

• wireman
  • User
before ordering that shim for cylinder base id have that cylinder checked to make sure itsw flat top/bottem if not id fix that to make sure youre getting the right shim. B)

THIS TIME ITS A DRAGBIKE 17 Jul 2012 09:02 #536510

• JEFFG1
  • User
well there has been alot going on around here havent been getting much done but i did get the chain on had to have a couple of spacers made to center the wheel. got the chain gaurd on also. i mounted the air tank and the shift valve.got the spacer for the motor and had the block checked for true everything is fine

Attachment Picture086.jpg not found

Attachment Picture091.jpg not found

got another set of coils & wires i had to rob peter to pay paul one of them went out on the orange bike so i took them off of this one so needed another set

Attachment Picture088.jpg not found

also found a set of cam motion z4 cams i am looking into but i wont put them in till winter i just want to get this thing running my friend is coming this week to put it back togeather and i wont have the z4 till next week so that will be later. hope to see some of you guys at vintage this weekend going to be there sat. have weekend pass so mite be there sund. also dont have anything to sell just like to see what everyone else have.
Attachments:

THIS TIME ITS A DRAGBIKE 17 Jul 2012 09:12 #536512

• les holt
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 288
Just noticed your front end isn't raked, be sure your front stem bearings are set right and run dual stabilizers. With the power your going to make you will mph out the back at more speed than these things handle well at and it is a real problem with these bikes.
Progress is progress! Still looking good!

Les