Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

KZ1000 Police conversion to cafe custom 18 Nov 2011 04:21 #489062

• clutch
  • User
  • I wish I had a tad more patience to do it better!
  • Thank you received: 12

sweetbro wrote: But I think he has the switch in there to turn off the bike. I mean, I agree that if you find a way to turn power off to the relay, you are correct, but on that wiring, how would you turn it off? That is what the switch is for, a kill switch. I think, at least.

Oh I think you're right. At first glance, I thought it was just a coil power mod (the note about not needing the red/yellow wire made me think that). Guess I should have studied it a little closer. LOL.
Southern Maryland, USA

1980 KZ250 LTD (traded, but still missed)
1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)
1966 A1 Samurai (Restoration Project)

Wish List:
KZ1000 P (For a "touring" bike)
Z1 (need I...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ1000 Police conversion to cafe custom 18 Nov 2011 04:34 #489066

• sweetbro
  • sweetbro's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Ha, ok. Wiring can be a big pain sometimes. I am still working out in my head where I am gonna have everything so that the bike will actually be rideable. We will see.

KZ1000 Police conversion to cafe custom 20 Nov 2011 04:13 #489306

• sweetbro
  • User
Ugh, so, I am having wiring issues. I thought I would be slick and pull the auto canceling signals out and other un needed crap like the rear brake light switch and the kick stand switch (already wasnt working). So I completely removed the left hand control. ALL of it. Nothing in that control would cut spark right? Anyway, I wired it all back up and everything works, well, except the coils. It cranks, headlight works, turn signals, all that, but it gets no spark. In an earlier post, I asked what the relay under my seat was, no one answered. Could this be it? Could that be killing the spark? Cause I removed that relay. It had three pink and blue wires, a red wire a brown and red wire (think it was brown and red) and a black and yellow wire. The pink wires went to another relay, that was on the right side of the battery, right in front of the hazard flassher. Does anyone know what THAT was? Geez, I thnk I jumped in over my head. ALL the wires from that relay by the flasher and the relay under the seat are not on the police wiring diagram. I know I just said alot of stuff, but if anyone can look back at that photo and tell me what that relay is, that would be great.

KZ1000 Police conversion to cafe custom 21 Nov 2011 14:31 #489489

• kcornell6
  • User
You may want to post a seperate topic in the electronic section to get a quicker more precise response.

Kev
96' KZ1000P Bobbed
81 GS850L

KZ1000 Police conversion to cafe custom 21 Nov 2011 14:46 #489493

• sweetbro
  • User
Well, I actually figured it out. The main power for the coils has a color change in my harness. So I had cut the wire, and the coils werent getting power. This power was also wired thru some stuff not on the wiring diagram, so it was confusing. All good now, working fine. I will post pics of stuff soon.

KZ1000 Police conversion to cafe custom 26 Nov 2011 21:29 #490263

• sweetbro
  • User
Well the bike is doing pretty good right now. I have done a few things to it recently. I obviously cut down the wiring harness and I removed the left hand control, except for the turn signal switch.

This is a super basic set up for now. I just wanted to get rid of the extra wiring for the left hand control and get rid of the big blob over there that did nothing. I dont need siren controls, or hazards and I am putting the brights switch under the tank.

Here are some pics of the bike, I also painted the foot boards and put skateboard grip tape on them. I also turned the tail lights upside down so that they look better on the frame.

I have this style of seat on the way too

Also, my garage as a whole isnt doing to bad these days.

Last edit: by sweetbro.

KZ1000 Police conversion to cafe custom 27 Nov 2011 03:27 #490295

• zudikaszrx
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0

sweetbro wrote: Hey guys,

I recently picked up KZ1000 Police bike. I have stripped it completely of the police stuff (all parts are up for sale in the classifieds) and I am making it into a custom, cafe-ish bike. No work done yet, besides stripping it. Here is it to start.

Here is the bike:

Here are some bar options I am looking at.

1: I like this one, cause it isnt super low, I dont really want to go with the cafe bar, cause it is soooooo low.

2: I am thinking about taking this one, and turning it upside down. It would lower the bars alittle more than the one above, but not as much as the cafe

3: Cafe, I think these are too low

What are the opinions?

You can mounts the cafe bars upside down. I did that on my old KH400 triple way back, very comfortable.

KZ1000 Police conversion to cafe custom 02 Dec 2011 13:50 #491114

• sweetbro
  • User
So I got my seat last night. I tweeked out and got it totally installed, except for some minor welding. I am pretty happy with the look and fit. Not very good pics, I will have better stuff this weekend when I can roll the bike outside. I will also show how I mounted the back to the frame.

KZ1000 Police conversion to cafe custom 05 Dec 2011 20:30 #491758

• sweetbro
  • User
Ok, so I got the seat on the bike and the rear mount welded in. I also got rid of the stock throttle housing. I relocated and consolidated the hand controls to a small, hidden plate under the gastank. So from the left hand control, I took the high beam/low beam switch and from the right control, I took the kill switch and the lights switch and put them on the same plate. Becuase you cant see these controls, I used all different switches, so you could feel the difference real easy. For the kill switch, I used a push button, for the lights switch I used a tilting switch and for the high beam/low beam I used a sliding switch. I put the kill button in the middle, that way no like switches were next to each other and it is easy to differentiate by hand what switch is what. Here is a pic of both sides of the plate.

I put the plate under the left side of the tank, cause that way I can get to them with my hand still on the throttle or front brake, not that I think it will matter.

Mounted from above:

Mounted from the side:

K, so here are pics of the bike over all. I am not too happy with the headlight. I mean, the pic from the back looks REALLY good (in my opinion) but from the front, the light looks too big I think. What do you guys think?

Also, I wired up a dirt bike kill switch as the starter switch, that is all that i have on the bar on the right. I am going to clean up the turn signal switch on the left, I dont like the style I chose. I want a slid switch, but I am having a hard time finding one that slides left and right but also has a middle "off" position.

Side note, it runs GREAT with the cone filters and the rejetting, some guy in a new Mustang GT tried to race me, she (the bike) ran perfect at WOT. I'm pleased.

Last edit: by sweetbro.

KZ1000 Police conversion to cafe custom 07 Dec 2011 14:08 #492038

• kcornell6
  • User
Liking how you cleaned up the bars. The rear seems kind of high for my liking with the rear suspension and springs for seat. Maybe look into a different headlight, but isn't a deal breaker.

V/R

Kev
96' KZ1000P Bobbed
81 GS850L

KZ1000 Police conversion to cafe custom 07 Dec 2011 14:18 #492040

• sweetbro
  • User
Yea, I understand what you are saying about the height of the rear end. The saddle height is still a few inches lower than the giant horse saddle that was on there, but I know how people prefer the low rear end look. I am going to be replacing the shocks soon. It might get a little lower then, cause these springs are for the heavy @ss cop bike with all the crap on it. I am trying to keep this bike very comfortable tho, also relaxed. That is why I didnt do drop bars and why I didnt get rid of the foot platforms. I want this bike to feel slow. What I mean is, I dont want to be tempted to go fast on this bike. I have an R1 and a F4i for that. I want this to look good and be fun and comfortable. I am going to clean up the rear still, not totally sure what I am gonna do, but that will be next. I am gonna try some headlight ideas soon, we will see how that goes too.

KZ1000 Police conversion to cafe custom 07 Dec 2011 14:55 #492041

• 531blackbanshee
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 797
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

i am wanting one of these for a lil 2 wheeled abortion i have.

leon
skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

KZ1000 Police conversion to cafe custom 22 Feb 2012 15:41 #505676

• sweetbro
  • User
K, I havent posted anything in a while. I havent really done much, here are the most recent pictures. I think the only thing that is really new is the rear fender thing. It is actually a sport bike front fender, cut up and screwed to the frame. Super ghetto! I have come to realize that the back is just too high. I think I am gonna do after market shocks that are 20mm shorter. It will look better and sit at a better angle. Of course I'll post when I get there.

I also ordered a digital dashboard, I will be putting that on as soon as I get it. Pretty excited, its got everything, fuel level, RPM, trip, odometer, turn signals, neutral, oil preasure. Should have it this week.

Next project will prob be exhaust. I also want to finish up my bar wiring, make it cleaner than it curently is.

KZ1000 Police conversion to cafe custom 27 Feb 2012 14:37 #506657

• sweetbro
  • User
Ok, so I got the digital dash on, as well as the bare end mirrors. I think it looks a lot better! They are just small things, but they clean up the whole look.

The dash is awesome. It is from danmoto.com Check it out. It has everything you want. I'm very pleased with it. Installing it was pretty easy, I used some extra factory style 6 pin connectors that I had to clean it up.

Here are a few photos.

In the pic of the wheel you can see the very simple tab I made for the speedo pick up. Also, I epoxied a magnet to my rotor, you can see that too, right behind the pick up.

KZ1000 Police conversion to cafe custom 29 Feb 2012 05:49 #506973

• mes0suave
  • User
i'm really digging your simple and clean build you have going so far. i just picked up a 90' kzp thats beat the hell up that i'm hoping to build back up similar to yours.

what are you doing to the rear brake? i dont see your foot brake lever at all

KZ1000 Police conversion to cafe custom 29 Feb 2012 14:49 #507017

• sweetbro
  • User
Thanks man! I didnt want to get too crazy with mods. All I am really gonna do now is get a new seat, something slim but basic, like a cb500 seat or something, but one of the very thin ones. Then exhaust. Then just de tab the frame and paint it.

Good luck with yours!

And currently I dont run a back brake. Something is messed up, either the master of caliper so I need to rebuild it before it will work again. Not too much of a problem as a commuter.

KZ1000 Police conversion to cafe custom 03 Apr 2012 21:04 #513875

• sweetbro
  • User
Ok, so I had a small problem the other day. First, my fuel filter clogged on the freeway. It was between the tank and carbs. I replaced it with straight hose. So then a week later a float stuck and the bike pissed fuel all over, well, dripped all over. So I removed the carbs and cleaned them and reinstalled new fuel line and a new filter. (I am sealing my tank soon, but the filter will do for now)

Also!!!!!! I broke my front seat mount. Not really thinking, I mounted the from of my seat to the rear tank support. This is NOT weight bearing support for the seat normally. The tab cracked right off. So O used some 3/4 square tube and fabbed up these two braces and welded them in. Its hard to see, but the crack went right over the flat top of the mount, right in front of the bolt hole.

Today I built a mount for my license plate. It is a little unconventional. Take a look. It is mounted to the chain tensioner.

KZ1000 Police conversion to cafe custom 04 Apr 2012 02:17 #513939

• BB
  • User
Love that you kept the floorboards throughout the project. They are so incongruous with the project, yet awesome to have kept the roots of the bike.
1980 KZ1000P - The Mistress
2002 R1150GS - Matilda

KZ1000 Police conversion to cafe custom 04 Apr 2012 17:45 #514067

• sweetbro
  • User
Ha, well, thanks. Really, its cause I dont want to have any reason or feeling to go fast. With the feet out in front on the floor boards, it is WAY too comfortable to be ridden fast. If I had pegs pulled back I would try to push it. This is my commuter. My R1 and the track are for going fast.

KZ1000 Police conversion to cafe custom 05 Apr 2012 14:02 #514202

• sweetbro
  • User
I put a tribar headlight in the front. I also cut the light brackets back so the light is closer to the bike. I think it looks a lot better.