Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

78 KZ1000 build (I'm learnding) 31 Jul 2012 10:27 #539710

• KZJOE900
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 443
I don't think you should have used straight up lemon juice. I used 6 parts water and 1 part lemon juice and got very good results. As for the pitting, most likely it was already there due to moisture sitting in the carbs over the years. Or maybe do to manufacturing. But the lemon juice, especially the strength you used, will etch a little and bring out any pitting that already exists. You should be fine however. One of the main jet tubes and float towers were pitted bad on one of my carbs. Was concerned about the main jet seating properly but seems to work fine. Just as long as you didn't boil any of the rubber parts you should be good to go. I used carb cleaner and compressed air after the boiling process as well. Use Patton's pilot circuit cleaning method to spray the carb cleaner for that circuit. Also, clean the choke circuit as well with carb cleaner and compressed air. Don't forget the choke circuit passage in each of the bowls as well. Might as well go the extra mile while you have them apart. Good luck.
Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

78 KZ1000 build (I'm learnding) 02 Aug 2012 17:56 #540308

• DoctoRot
  • DoctoRot's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
  • Thank you received: 664

KZJOE900 wrote: I don't think you should have used straight up lemon juice. I used 6 parts water and 1 part lemon juice and got very good results. As for the pitting, most likely it was already there due to moisture sitting in the carbs over the years. Or maybe do to manufacturing. But the lemon juice, especially the strength you used, will etch a little and bring out any pitting that already exists. You should be fine however. One of the main jet tubes and float towers were pitted bad on one of my carbs. Was concerned about the main jet seating properly but seems to work fine. Just as long as you didn't boil any of the rubber parts you should be good to go. I used carb cleaner and compressed air after the boiling process as well. Use Patton's pilot circuit cleaning method to spray the carb cleaner for that circuit. Also, clean the choke circuit as well with carb cleaner and compressed air. Don't forget the choke circuit passage in each of the bowls as well. Might as well go the extra mile while you have them apart. Good luck.

In retrospect the lemon juice did seem too harsh, but even then it took several times to remove the film the pinsol left. In the future i will dilute it. The pitting that is there is almost not noticeable, except on the pot metal parts. I'm going to follow your advice and clean all the circuits one more time before I put them back together, just to make sure they're good.

78 KZ1000 build (I'm learnding) 02 Aug 2012 23:51 #540393

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098

With smoothbores, the pilot air jet is easy to miss.

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

Last edit: by Patton.

78 KZ1000 build (I'm learnding) 15 Oct 2012 21:06 #554069

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
well its been a while since i got to post some progress in here. I got my frame back from the straightener and was able to get Eric to help me out a bit yesterday. I fit all the gussets and he welded them in. It started raining on my way back home so everything rusted a bit.
We also started on the shock mounts, unfortunately we only had enough time to get one done. eric turned a new mount, and changed the design slightly. It now has a bolt going into it. cleaned up the design a bit, I think it looks good, gotta get a cool fastener for it though. I still need to fit the two cross braces and two braces for the steering head. Hopefully I will get to that this week. feels damn good to be getting some progress done after sitting idle while it was at the straighteners

Last edit: by DoctoRot.

78 KZ1000 build (I'm learnding) 16 Oct 2012 10:37 #554174

• 531blackbanshee
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 797

DoctoRot wrote: We also started on the shock mounts, unfortunately we only had enough time to get one done. eric turned a new mount, and changed the design slightly. It now has a bolt going into it.

an aluminum washer machined out so that an allen head is countersunk in to it would look very nice.

glad you got some progress made,keep us posted.

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

78 KZ1000 build (I'm learnding) 16 Oct 2012 11:01 #554183

• rslingshot
  • User is blocked
  • Because stock SUCKS!!!!!!
  • Thank you received: 19
The gusset work turned out good. Havent followed this build much but it is looking good so far
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/390747-1977-kz1000-new-life
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2004 Gsx-r 750
78 kz1000 basket case
81 yamaha xs 650 basket case

Last edit: by rslingshot. Reason: Wrong post

78 KZ1000 build (I'm learnding) 16 Oct 2012 14:53 #554203

• Ederer
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
So many cool things - great work on the composites, nice details like the spedo/tach faces, and a killer job on the frame bracing! Overall excellent eye for detail! What a great build!!!

78 KZ1000 build (I'm learnding) 16 Oct 2012 18:46 #554234

• Renninger
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Where did ya get the rpm gauge? i kinda want to get me a set for my kz1000

Last edit: by Renninger.

78 KZ1000 build (I'm learnding) 16 Oct 2012 20:28 #554253

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
Thanks guys, im just glad i finally have it back so i can keep working on it.

I like the counter sunk washer idea Leon, i think i'm gonna try and make it to the fastener store and see what they have.

Renninger wrote: Where did ya get the rpm gauge? i kinda want to get me a set for my kz1000

the gauges are from Speedhut. I asked them if they would work with a Dynatek ignition, they said yes. Word of warning though; they are made for cars, and while they claim they are water "resistant" I don't know how well they will resist water. However I took one apart and devised a scheme for waterproofing them myself for peace of mind. I should get to that soon, and when i do i will post what i do.

78 KZ1000 build (I'm learnding) 17 Oct 2012 10:31 #554312

• Renninger
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
kk, that would be great :) water to isn't the big of a deal...i live in Arizona i don't even remember what rain looks likes

DoctoRot wrote: Thanks guys, im just glad i finally have it back so i can keep working on it.

I like the counter sunk washer idea Leon, i think i'm gonna try and make it to the fastener store and see what they have.

Renninger wrote: Where did ya get the rpm gauge? i kinda want to get me a set for my kz1000

the gauges are from Speedhut. I asked them if they would work with a Dynatek ignition, they said yes. Word of warning though; they are made for cars, and while they claim they are water "resistant" I don't know how well they will resist water. However I took one apart and devised a scheme for waterproofing them myself for peace of mind. I should get to that soon, and when i do i will post what i do.

78 KZ1000 build (I'm learnding) 27 Oct 2012 00:13 #555964

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
just a quick update. I took your advice Leon, and got some stainless counter-sunk washers with some allen head screws. looking good. I love small details like this that no one will never notice except for me and die-hard KZ fans. Should get the other shock mount welded in this weekend, plus the rest of the bracing and some other random tabs and such.

78 KZ1000 build (I'm learnding) 27 Oct 2012 01:52 #555978

• 531blackbanshee
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 797
damn straight !!!!!!!!!!!!!

that looks very nicely finished :evil: .

leon
skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0