a short vacation from motorcycles may come...

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
26 Aug 2011 15:16 #471964 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic a short vacation from motorcycles may come...
i just checked sioux city craigs list where the novas are listed,look under auto parts section.
anyway typed in chevy 350 and a whole bunch of small block chevys popped up in your area :)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Aug 2011 18:03 #471991 by camaroguy
Replied by camaroguy on topic a short vacation from motorcycles may come...
just a suggestion but,you may want to look at a late model truck motor. beleive its a L92 would produce good power with a 4 speed auto. also they get pretty good gas milage. Ive done a ls1 conversion and they are getting more plug and play everyday. find a good forum like ls1 tech and just poke around a little. you may be surprised.locally ive found pull out motor and trans with all drive accesories as well as ecm for under 2k.still would need ecm programmed and harness modded but, can do it yourself.check it out.with the newer motor you could drive the thing shore to shore.

• Kitten Tooth
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
26 Aug 2011 18:12 #471994 by Kitten Tooth
Replied by Kitten Tooth on topic a short vacation from motorcycles may come...
Yea, i didnt account for all the parts not fitting right. And god knows what the wirings like in those cars. The reason i was interested was because the red one i dont think has any rust at all. The bad part was that a tree fell on it and the roof got dented in. The windshields also spider webbed in the middle. The motor in the red one doesnt run because he pulled the starter and put it in the nasty one to get that motor running. He said he dumped gas down the carb to do it and disconnected all the fuel lines because the tank is dirty. I guess the floors are spongy in the rusty looking one and the red one has a nice body minus the roof. I figured i would drop the tank in the rusty one, clean everything up, and get that one drivable(if the breaks and all that stuff are good). If anything else was messed up on the car, i would just let it sit. I basically wanna use both these cars as my engine test benches:D. Then i would pull the starter out of the Nasty one and get the red one running reliably. Then i would pick which motor i wanted to go in the truck. If it was the motor in the rusty 63' it would go in the truck and that car would become a parts car. The reason i thought a straight six would be fine is because grandpa on my mom's side has a 1967 Chevy pickup with a straight six in it. His has the 4 speed manual with the granny gear though. If you drop the clutch out right, you'll quickly see 2 BIG black tread marks behind you:D That truck only does 60 mph. I dont want a hotrod, I just want a nice running truck that i can haul scrap and motorcycles with. Im going to check out CL on those motors, thank you for looking Wireman, i didnt even know that section existed on that site :) If all else fails, i was going to go with a crate motor. I think im gonna hold onto my bike guys.

THANK YOU!
KT

1981 Kawasaki KZ1000-K LTD
1983 Suzuki GS300L-D
1982 Suzuki GS300L-Z sold:(
1976 KZ400D3
1973 Z900... I WISH

DO A BARREL ROLL!!

• seanbarney41
  • User
  • '79 kz1000 LTD '75 Honda CB750
More
26 Aug 2011 20:21 #472012 by seanbarney41
Replied by seanbarney41 on topic a short vacation from motorcycles may come...
...ugghh, more advice from the older guys...I think you made the right choice! I just have another personal anecdote for ya...when I was your age I was wayyy into cars but had never ridden a motorcycle, I spent years acquiring, building, and driving a '72 Chevy Impala...then gas went over $4 a gallon...quick...instantly...the days of cruising in my ride whenever I wanted were over, I was lucky if I could get enough money to drive it once a week! Hmmm, what can I do for a gearhead fix? ...picked up a cb360...and I am sure you well know, young man, how bad a kz1000 will kill a cb360 ...anyway, that 'lil 360 was a blast, and got me into bikes...now I find cars quite boring...

• wireman
  • User
More
26 Aug 2011 20:28 #472017 by wireman

Kitten Tooth wrote: Yea, i didnt account for all the parts not fitting right. And god knows what the wirings like in those cars. The reason i was interested was because the red one i dont think has any rust at all. The bad part was that a tree fell on it and the roof got dented in. The windshields also spider webbed in the middle. The motor in the red one doesnt run because he pulled the starter and put it in the nasty one to get that motor running. He said he dumped gas down the carb to do it and disconnected all the fuel lines because the tank is dirty. I guess the floors are spongy in the rusty looking one and the red one has a nice body minus the roof. I figured i would drop the tank in the rusty one, clean everything up, and get that one drivable(if the breaks and all that stuff are good). If anything else was messed up on the car, i would just let it sit. I basically wanna use both these cars as my engine test benches:D. Then i would pull the starter out of the Nasty one and get the red one running reliably. Then i would pick which motor i wanted to go in the truck. If it was the motor in the rusty 63' it would go in the truck and that car would become a parts car. The reason i thought a straight six would be fine is because grandpa on my mom's side has a 1967 Chevy pickup with a straight six in it. His has the 4 speed manual with the granny gear though. If you drop the clutch out right, you'll quickly see 2 BIG black tread marks behind you:D That truck only does 60 mph. I dont want a hotrod, I just want a nice running truck that i can haul scrap and motorcycles with. Im going to check out CL on those motors, thank you for looking Wireman, i didnt even know that section existed on that site :) If all else fails, i was going to go with a crate motor. I think im gonna hold onto my bike guys.

THANK YOU!
KT

if all else fails ive got a .040 over 4 bolt main 350 sitting in my barn i took out of my running 69 chevy truck project i wont be using you can have,id pull the pan and check everything out maybe throw an oil pump and chain in it and a gasket set.
youll have to come and get it though! :laugh: free to a good home! :woohoo:

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
26 Aug 2011 21:15 #472033 by kawman66
Replied by kawman66 on topic a short vacation from motorcycles may come...
how bout haveing the motor thats in the truck rebuilt at your local machine shop.

75 z1b
76 kz900ltd
76 kz900
76 kz900-1500
77 kz1000ltd

my drinking team has a racing problem

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
26 Aug 2011 22:13 #472054 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic a short vacation from motorcycles may come...
you put the bikes aside and they will be there when you want em.....and focus all spare pennies and energy into getting a running hot rod and not a p.o.s..nothing cherry but titled and running great...makes working on it way more fun when you can rip it too and use for classic transpo...justify it....you could find something pretty nice just by putting all your mind to it...and then later.... have both....how you gonna like hearing someone else riding your old bike(wrong way too)...while your trying to drift off to sleep....

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
26 Aug 2011 22:16 #472057 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic a short vacation from motorcycles may come...
wireman is telling you to get it just cause he has fixed you on gps and he wants it for his 3 ring barn museums

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• Kitten Tooth
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
27 Aug 2011 00:21 #472071 by Kitten Tooth
Replied by Kitten Tooth on topic a short vacation from motorcycles may come...
... SO WIREMAN.... where are YOU located:D you can send me a PM if you want. im in the middle of bum Fu** nowhere Sioux City XD I dont wanna do a full on restoration to my grandpa's truck but it would be nice to have an old POS looking chevy that can roast them tires for a few blocks :) i found a 350 small block Crate motor on CL for 500 dollars only been started a few times.. i also found headers on there for 35 bucks... I got 2 different carburetors too. That crate motor doesnt come with a carburetor but i do have a 4 barrel edlebrock and i also have the 2 barrel stock one thats under the hood now. WHY CANT THERE BE A CAR SECTION ON HERE FOR JUST THIS SORT OF THING??!? I've been looking for a good chevy forum and the one i found... nobody replies to my topics really. In other words, YOU GUYS ROCK!!

1981 Kawasaki KZ1000-K LTD
1983 Suzuki GS300L-D
1982 Suzuki GS300L-Z sold:(
1976 KZ400D3
1973 Z900... I WISH

DO A BARREL ROLL!!

• wireman
  • User
More
27 Aug 2011 03:06 #472094 by wireman
ill be going back up to sioux city ne hopefully here in next couple of weeks to to pick up some stuff from the plating shop and drop off more goodies,maybe i can haul it up there with me if i throw some plates on my truck.
do you have an engine hoist we get it out of my truck with? B)

More
29 Aug 2011 15:07 #472567 by KraZ900
Replied by KraZ900 on topic a short vacation from motorcycles may come...
You'll get better fuel econ. with the four barrel "IF" you stay of the secondaries.

"The Classic Flying W"
76 KZ900 LTD