86 police cruzer

More
22 Jan 2011 23:00 - 22 Jan 2011 23:01 #424590 by dblhdr
Replied by dblhdr on topic 86 police cruzer
:That row of Kaws does look intimidating, especially the one on the far end :laugh:
That one on the end has a headlight worth more than the rest of the bike.:P It kept blinding me every time it flashed in my rear view mirror. They like 'em that way in Quincy though.

1981 KZ1000 Police Special coverted for civilian use with passenger seat, custom luggage rack, and paint. Daily rider.
2006 Harley Davidson Road King FLHR1
Last edit: 22 Jan 2011 23:01 by dblhdr.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jan 2011 22:26 - 24 Jan 2011 22:31 #425213 by bushman8377
Replied by bushman8377 on topic 86 police cruzer
dblhdr where did you find the light visors? i like the look of them and might add a set to mine. you turn signals mount on the rear saddle bag bracket? that is the stock location ive noticed.

kz 750 ltd
kz1000p
cb 360 making a "desert rat"
Last edit: 24 Jan 2011 22:31 by bushman8377.

More
24 Jan 2011 22:29 - 24 Jan 2011 22:32 #425215 by bushman8377
thanks thanks rainman, thats how i got it, i have no idea who makes the bracket, ill have to pull one off to see then post the results so others have the option.

kz 750 ltd
kz1000p
Last edit: 24 Jan 2011 22:32 by bushman8377.

More
24 Jan 2011 23:03 #425220 by bushman8377
I tried going for a ride sat. and had a hard time starting her. I had to hold full throttle till she fired on all four. flooded out sitting . so after a few miles i lost a cylinder and had to return home. I thought it was a carb/petcock issue and pulled it apart today. Because she wouldent start at all today i decided to check the plugs, # 1,3&4 were wet and carbonized #2 showed signs of running. When i pulled the #3 boot the outer cover on the wire cracked so i might have got a short on any of the wires. Now i have to order some parts from Z1. Any body have an issue of their bike flooding out as it sat, ive noticed on the side stand it will fill the air box so when tiped up gas pours out the drain. Also sat. i covered it while still warm and today the close to 1/2 tank i had was gone. It either went through the carbs and or the vent. plus she always smells like gas. If any one has some info or links to prior discussions id like the info.

kz 750 ltd
kz1000p

More
25 Jan 2011 18:32 #425506 by Marneman
Replied by Marneman on topic 86 police cruzer
bushman8377 wrote:

I tried going for a ride sat. and had a hard time starting her. I had to hold full throttle till she fired on all four. flooded out sitting . so after a few miles i lost a cylinder and had to return home. I thought it was a carb/petcock issue and pulled it apart today. Because she wouldent start at all today i decided to check the plugs, # 1,3&4 were wet and carbonized #2 showed signs of running. When i pulled the #3 boot the outer cover on the wire cracked so i might have got a short on any of the wires. Now i have to order some parts from Z1. Any body have an issue of their bike flooding out as it sat, ive noticed on the side stand it will fill the air box so when tiped up gas pours out the drain. Also sat. i covered it while still warm and today the close to 1/2 tank i had was gone. It either went through the carbs and or the vent. plus she always smells like gas. If any one has some info or links to prior discussions id like the info.

Sounds like petcock rebuild time & possibly check float level / needle & seat. I had the same issues on my 82 LTD. Stupid question, but you're not leaving it on PRI are you? (I did once, oops) :blush:

77 KZ1000-A1 "Bushido" Project
82 KZ1000 LTD "Terri Lee"

You know what, I don't have a one to some other number of douche-bag scale. So.. Six!

More
25 Jan 2011 18:38 - 25 Jan 2011 18:42 #425511 by dblhdr
Replied by dblhdr on topic 86 police cruzer
I got the light visors on line. I think it was JC Whitney. Very inexpensive
My bike was draining raw fuel from the carbs not being serviced in seventeen years. I had an old school Kaw guy mechanic rebuild them for me and now the bike is as strong as it ever was. :laugh:

1981 KZ1000 Police Special coverted for civilian use with passenger seat, custom luggage rack, and paint. Daily rider.
2006 Harley Davidson Road King FLHR1
Last edit: 25 Jan 2011 18:42 by dblhdr.

More
25 Jan 2011 22:14 #425603 by bushman8377
not a stupid question, ive been known to do stupid things like that from time to time. but i dont think so this time. I did on the other hand cover it with a tarp while still warm, if the heat stayed under the tarp it might have evaported all the gas. I cleaned the carbs and petcock lastnight and checked float height while reassembly tonight. Ill see what that does not much dirt in there but some old gas residue in the float bowels. needles and seats looked good also i cleaned out a bunch of crustys under the idle jet plugs and put jets and plugs back in. I know that the us models had plugs over the idle jet needles from the factory, do any of you guys replace thoes plugs after a clean job? I ask because mine didnt have them and i would rather be able to adjust how mine runs any time i want to.

kz 750 ltd
kz1000p

More
25 Jan 2011 22:25 #425604 by bushman8377
Its what i get for having a classy afforadable ride, but ive been working on bikes sence my first, my little 90cc kaw was given to me because the po had put a part in the tranny upside down making it a four speed.An afternoon of helping my dad with it licked that problem. Ill get this one fixed and have some fun doing so. dblhdr thanks for the info ill check with jc whitney, i need some other parts as well and need to stick to a budjet untill i get back to work.

kz 750 ltd
kz1000p

More
09 Sep 2011 00:57 #475288 by bushman8377
sorry all i have been very busy once i made it back to work that i havnt made it on. here is an update, i got the petcock rebuilt and back ont the road most of the summer, had to repair the charging system, the regulator went completly bad, wasnt much good in the first place, ;) but when it decided to give up it just about set the whole bike on fire, :( . then shortly after that my turn signals quit, but i ran a seperate wireing harness with a switch so that works for now. I now will be very soon hopefully building an 83 GPz1100 motor for her. picked up a roller parts bike with only 15,000 miles on the clock. two cylinders were stuck, one from oil the other condesation rust above the rings. top end and oil pan is off the motor now so i can flush it out and clean up the rusted sleave. if any of you need gpz 1100 parts see my post on it and drop me a line.

kz 750 ltd
kz1000p