78' KZ650 Bobber

• BizzareCustoms
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 Feb 2011 19:33 #432825 by BizzareCustoms
Replied by BizzareCustoms on topic 78' KZ650 Bobber
well finally decided to follow through on the carbs. found that being lazy once again doesnt pay off. since i didnt bother to look and i just hooked the fuel line up to where it was when i pulled it off turns out it was on the left vent barb not the main feed. But once i got it apart did find one of the jets gummed up so it was worth it plus it allowed me to clean up the carbs from leaking gaskets. just waiting on the top hat and bowl gaskets i ordered to come in so i can put them back on the bike and see if shes going to run. also decided to polish the top hats while i had them off and paint the choke shaft/handle and return spring.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• BizzareCustoms
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 Feb 2011 17:07 #434048 by BizzareCustoms
woot its about to look like christmas in march. I have pretty much everything except a rear fender on order

• BizzareCustoms
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 Mar 2011 11:05 #435518 by BizzareCustoms
well I got most of my goodies in. still waiting on a couple things. but got the carbs put back on replaced the points and condensers. gave it some gas, one kick and she fired right up and ran great. so now feel ok with movie forward on the actual fabrication knowing that the motor is good (being it was locked up when i got it)

first shipment of goodies

tube for hard tail

front master off a newer zx600 so i gained an electronic brake switch and an adjustable lever. rear master off another kz. i took it all apart and cleaned it up and made sure all the seals were good.

new handle bars installed for mock up

carbs and filters installed

took off the shocks set it to 8" frame-to-ground clearance with the exhaust on witch was about 2" lower than it was.

started mocking up and tacking in the hardtail

• BizzareCustoms
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 Apr 2011 21:38 - 06 Apr 2011 21:40 #443098 by BizzareCustoms
got some goods going. shes slowly but surely moving along

got the seats all cleaned up and ready to be mounted

set everything on her to get an idea of final look. think im going to add onto the tank to fill around the front of the seat. (seats, fender, and tank not mount just sitting there)

finally gave up on the harness. messed with it and messed with it and just couldnt get the key to work right so i bought a universal key and decided to make my own harness. lot easier especially since i got rid of so much stuff. plus now i know its going to work. started mocking up the harness. the relays, fuse block and regulator will be mounted to 1/8 plates that will be welded into the frame and will hide behind the frame tube so you wount see any of it after final assembly.

decided to shave the emblem mounts off of the tank. just need to glaze and sand waiting to decide if im going to alter the tank any more before glazing. decided to run the factory tank cause it looks different and i was told it was from a particular model, not all of them came with this tank? plus i like the thought of having 4 gal vs 2gal

also mocked up the headlight

finally got around to finishing my gauge pod set up.

Last edit: 06 Apr 2011 21:40 by BizzareCustoms.

• BizzareCustoms
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 Apr 2011 21:47 #443101 by BizzareCustoms
testing the key and getting a feel for the sound. still need to build a glass pack to go inside the pipe and tune. running very rich blowing through gas just idle and also backfiring and throwing 6" flames at idle. any jet suggestions for my set up?

• BizzareCustoms
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 May 2011 21:58 #450190 by BizzareCustoms
got some more work done. all i should really have left before blowing the bike apart for final welding, body work, and paint is mounting the tank and fender.....but you always forget about something right

finally got my led flasher
[img]http://http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f276/Drake869/78%20KZ650%20bobber%20build/flash.jpg[/img]

modified the light mount so it would clear the ignition switch i decided to use and so i could mount turn signals to it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Dale65

More
11 May 2011 09:16 #450269 by TNBOBBER
Replied by TNBOBBER on topic 78' KZ650 Bobber
I've been thinking about using one of these style fenders on my bike. Yours is looking good, keep them pics coming, I know we all like checking out the different projects.

Sometimes God doesn't calm the storm, He calms us in the storm.

More
11 May 2011 10:13 #450275 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic 78' KZ650 Bobber
lookin good!

i like the swiss chesse battery box.

keep us posted,

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

• BizzareCustoms
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
26 Jun 2011 19:19 #459524 by BizzareCustoms

531blackbanshee wrote: lookin good!

i like the swiss chesse battery box.

keep us posted,

leon

thanks it actually wasnt going to be swiss cheese at first. but i took it into work to mess with it while waiting for jobs and we wound up be really slow that day so i got bored and busted out my hole saw set. actually turned out to be a good thing. looks pretty cool and almost cut the weight of it in half.

• BizzareCustoms
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
26 Jun 2011 19:34 #459527 by BizzareCustoms
so finally finished all the fab work so i tore it down and had a buddy help me pull the motor out so i could take it to my fiances dads shop so i could use his 220v welder. my mig is only a 110v so i used it to tack everything for mock up and i didnt fill like tiging the whole thing with my 220 tig. so now i just need to grind a couple little things with my air die grinder that i couldnt get to with the 110v grinder. then i can sand blast it primer it and put it back together for final tuning. im going to ride it for a while primered till i decided i didnt forget anything or want to change anything. then ill blow it back apart for final paint.

before loading it up in the trailor

after taring the rest down to being welding and grinding

done and back in rolling chasis

first retaliation from the bike. surprised it waited this long to strike back. fell on my hand after welding most of it.

More
27 Jun 2011 12:08 #459666 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic 78' KZ650 Bobber
ouch!!!!!!! :angry:

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

More
30 Jun 2011 10:42 #460271 by ninjaracerchick
Replied by ninjaracerchick on topic 78' KZ650 Bobber
Poor hand! Don't let it slow you down. Cool to watch how your builds going since were doing very similar things!

its sex drippin on the pavement when we ride!
81 kz650csr "evelynn" my newest oldest ride choppy chop
06 zx-10r "felicia" my regular rider n track lady
01 zx-6r "vanessa" my 1st child n now streetfighter