'80 KZ1000 ST resuscitation

More
10 Nov 2010 19:00 #412106 by John T
Replied by John T on topic '80 KZ1000 ST resuscitation
nice bike.

brings back memories.

I had one just like it.
I rode it around for a couple years with just a snowmobile plate on the back... :lol:

True Wisdom Only Comes From Pain.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Mar 2011 22:32 #440233 by bls5050
Replied by bls5050 on topic '80 KZ1000 ST resuscitation
Got some progress to report, finally. So I put about 3000 miles on the bike, and the situation is as follows: after being run regularly, almost every gasket or seal that is meant to keep oil inside the motor is weeping, and I am getting paranoid about the cam chain rollers after seeing the condition of the top one under the valve cover. So I finally bit the bullet and the engine is going to get a rebuild. And, since I'm going to be ripping the bike apart, why not strip the frame and paint it? The teardown took about seven hours from this:

to this:

then this:

and finally, this:

The underside of the frame was really in bad shape, worst than I thought actually. Got a few parts that really need to be replaced. I had no idea that the steering stem bearings were binding so badly. The swingarm bearings were partially rusted as well! But i'm gonna try really hard to get it back together in a few weeks. The frame is sandblasted already, I'm just waiting for the paint to arrive.

1980 KZ1000st

More
24 Mar 2011 23:16 #440248 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic '80 KZ1000 ST resuscitation
oh man this going to be good :evil: .
take lots of pics!
how are you going to build the engine?

keep us posted,

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
25 Mar 2011 00:04 #440272 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic '80 KZ1000 ST resuscitation
excellent

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
25 Mar 2011 11:47 #440339 by T_Dub
Replied by T_Dub on topic '80 KZ1000 ST resuscitation
This is cool. But I also want to know more about the datsun.

1977 KZ650B1
-810cc
-Cavanaugh Racing Head
-Mikuni RS34's
-GPR Muffler

More
26 Mar 2011 09:19 #440527 by bls5050
The plan for the engine is basically a stock rebuild. I'm putting Mac 4-1 pipes on when it goes back in the frame, because I found that it is really irritating having to remove the entire exhaust system to change the oil filter. The intake ports are going to be cleaned up and smoothed out and matched to the intake manifolds; the exhaust ports are going to be just smoothed out. I'm not overboring or going to bigger valves or anything like that. All of the camchain guides and rollers are being swapped, new camchain, etc. Pretty much just a stock cleanup and rebuild. New gaskets,seals, new rings, and so on and so forth.

After its back on the road and broken back in, I'm considering applying one of Ferdinand Porsche's ideas to it: figure out how to shovel as much air as possible into it, and then match it with an appropriate amount of fuel. So I'm looking for ideas on how to accomplish this while retaining the stock airbox. Perhaps some modification to the lower airbox is in order? Also, the exhaust will have to be uncorked. I've contacted Mac Performance about buying the "competition baffle" for my pipes, but they've been a little reticent about giving me an actual delivery date. If I have to, I'll get some universal baffle tubing and fab up my own to fit their can.

By the way, the Datsun in the background is a 1975 280Z. Complete restoration from the ground up. Been working on it for 7 years, on and off. Just have the bodywork and engine left to do. I have so much money invested at this point, I can never sell it! This is a situation that I am trying to avoid with the motorcycle.

1980 KZ1000st

More
02 Apr 2011 18:01 #442205 by bls5050
More progress. I just finished painting the frame. The color is John Deere Blitz Black. Check it out:

This stuff is awesome. The finish is somewhere around a satin or a matte. It looks a little grey in some photos, but that is really just the lighting or the flash on the camera. Its really a deep black.

Maybe you can see it a little better there. I'm really glad I only had to sand the frame twice, with all the little brackets and such. But it's done and reassembly can begin monday, after it's had a chance to cure.

1980 KZ1000st

More
03 Apr 2011 14:12 #442378 by bls5050
Went and checked on all the stuff I painted yesterday. Wow. I just can't say enough about Blitz Black paint. This stuff is tougher than cut-nails, man. It's really hard to mar the finish, so it should stand up to rock strikes and other road damage pretty well. Upon looking really closely at the paint job, perhaps I could have spent some time cleaning up the factory weld-splatter and stuff like that. But time is "of the essence," as they say; I'd much rather be riding it that working on it, and riding weather is almost upon us here in Virginia. So the whole theme for this bike is this :I don't want to cut any corners, but I don't want to lose momentum by inventing unnecessary projects. Unfortunately, any customization is going to have to come later. I have seen some cool stuff in the projects section here, but that is a fight for another day.

1980 KZ1000st

More
03 Apr 2011 20:16 #442420 by KZCM
Replied by KZCM on topic '80 KZ1000 ST resuscitation

bls5050 wrote: The plan for the engine is basically a stock rebuild. I'm putting Mac 4-1 pipes on when it goes back in the frame, because I found that it is really irritating having to remove the entire exhaust system to change the oil filter.

Do you want to sell the stock exhaust? I'm looking for one that doesn't cost what the entire bike did back in 1980!
Thanks for the tip on the paint. I'm working on the same type project and was wondering what paint to use.

1977 KZ1000 - Wish I still had it
1980 KZ1000E2 - My project

More
03 Apr 2011 23:07 #442462 by bls5050
Here's a link about the paint you might find interesting:

Some tips: use the hardener. This whole paint system is manufactured by Valspar, so there is a rumor that it is available through Valspar dealers. There are none near me, and the local John Deere dealer doesn't have much of a parts department, so I had to order it online. One quart is enough to do the frame, small parts, wheels, etc. They also make the same exact product in a high-gloss, so there is no need to put a topcoat on it. In fact, if you search the web, you will inevitably run across info about this stuff not being top-coat friendly. Maybe the same stuff they put in it to make it "easy to clean" makes paint not really want to stick to it? I'm a Cabinetmaker by trade, not a chemist :unsure: so an explanation is up to someone else.

As far as the stock exhaust that came off of the bike, yes I still have it, and yes I will sell it, but there is a caveat: if you look at the circled portion of this photo

That is where the original battery leaked on everything under it. This spot will not buff out, it is permanent. There are also rust spots that will not buff out. All in all, they are pretty ratty looking, but there are no dents or leaks or anything. They work fine, so maybe a derusting and a rechrome job or a high-temp paint job are in order? That sounds pretty negative, but I'm really trying to not misrepresent them. They ain't pretty, but they are sound. If you are still interested, PM me and we'll talk turkey.

1980 KZ1000st

More
03 Apr 2011 23:09 #442464 by bls5050
Okay the link didn't show up.

blitzblack.com/

1980 KZ1000st

More
09 Apr 2011 19:50 #443695 by bls5050
Made some more progress today. Got the front end bolted back on, along with the headlight, guage cluster, etc.

Is there some kind of ritual when you change your ratchet over from "remove" to "install"? That was about seven hours of work. Had a heck of a time getting the front end lined back up and in place alone. Two people would sure make that an easier job.

1980 KZ1000st