Dan's 73 Z1 build

• greasepencil
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 Jun 2010 17:07 #375756 by greasepencil
Dan's 73 Z1 build was created by greasepencil
Hello there,

I'm new here and wanted to open a thread on my 73 z1 build to help me keep up with progress/ document for fun. I pulled the matching number frame and engine out of a junkyard for $55. The frame is Z1F-042xx and the engine (stored inside thank god) is Z1E-043xx, the build date is 12/72.

As far as I've got to date is:

I've got a set of repro bodywork, brown and orange, from z1enterprises on the way with emblems( screws for them too), fuel cap, rubber dampers, etc. I have the idiot light cover coming from z1parts and some other small things.

The original items I'm going to use I picked up from the local scrapper, and they look good!
The original seat off the bike, needs pan painted but almost no rust
found a set of gauges off a kz900 to reface as 73 gauges,
rear grabrail off my dads original z1a he bought new, found in attic,
front and rear fenders, look good
and a set of z1r wheels that are going to be painted black

Started trying to paint the frame, but stopped about a quarter of the way and decided to just splurge and get the thing powdercoated, the paint I am using just won't do the bike justice and I won't be happy with the finished product.

I'll keep the updates up to date and I love this site!

Thanks,
Dan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
14 Jun 2010 17:10 #375758 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic Dan's 73 Z1 build
Sweeeeeet!

Keep em' coming!

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

More
14 Jun 2010 17:30 - 14 Jun 2010 17:34 #375761 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Dan's 73 Z1 build
If the frame info label on the steering neck is still intact, powder coat will likely ruin the label, which seriously devalues the bike.

Would think twice before powder coating. Could consider having frame sand blasted (except for the label area), and repainting.

Just my 2 cents.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 14 Jun 2010 17:34 by Patton.

More
14 Jun 2010 17:38 #375765 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Dan's 73 Z1 build
How's the Z1R rear wheel (disc brake) going to work out in place of the Z1 rear drum brake?

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• greasepencil
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 Jun 2010 18:30 #375771 by greasepencil
Replied by greasepencil on topic Dan's 73 Z1 build
Here's a pic of some of the parts, will more than likely sandblast the frame myself to avoid having to choke someone for destroying the vin tag.:laugh: some of the parts will be alright to use as is, but I've got a feeling the front caliper will have to be rebuilt and powdercoated.

Dan

More
14 Jun 2010 18:39 #375774 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Dan's 73 Z1 build
ive often wondered how hard it would be to have some duplicate stickers made for steering heads with build dates on them,i guess i could compare some to see if theres any real differance other than build dates. B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.
Attachments:

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
15 Jun 2010 06:01 #375841 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic Dan's 73 Z1 build
greasepencil wrote:

Hello there,

I'm new here and wanted to open a thread on my 73 z1 build to help me keep up with progress/ document for fun. I pulled the matching number frame and engine out of a junkyard for $55. The frame is Z1F-042xx and the engine (stored inside thank god) is Z1E-043xx, the build date is 12/72.

As far as I've got to date is:

I've got a set of repro bodywork, brown and orange, from z1enterprises on the way with emblems( screws for them too), fuel cap, rubber dampers, etc. I have the idiot light cover coming from z1parts and some other small things.

The original items I'm going to use I picked up from the local scrapper, and they look good!
The original seat off the bike, needs pan painted but almost no rust
found a set of gauges off a kz900 to reface as 73 gauges,
rear grabrail off my dads original z1a he bought new, found in attic,
front and rear fenders, look good
and a set of z1r wheels that are going to be painted black

Started trying to paint the frame, but stopped about a quarter of the way and decided to just splurge and get the thing powdercoated, the paint I am using just won't do the bike justice and I won't be happy with the finished product.

I'll keep the updates up to date and I love this site!

Thanks,
Dan

That bike warrants as much originality as can be had. Spoke wheels, exhaust, etc. :)

More
15 Jun 2010 13:03 - 15 Jun 2010 13:05 #375902 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic Dan's 73 Z1 build
I just did my 75 frame and like yours the frame tag was intact. I started stripping the frame by hand using various air tools then decided to buy a sand blaster. I bought a cheapo suction-type from Grainger for $115. I bought bags of play sand from Lowes for $3 a bag and ran it through the supplied sifter. It took a few hours to finish but I'm glad I did it. That frame is a bitch trying to do by hand. I masked off the tag with blue painters tape. I used "Professional" Rustoleum primer and painted with PJ1 Fast Black epoxy frame paint. The frame took 2 cans, probobly could have used a 3rd. I'm going to use the same paint for the battery box and various black parts on the bike. The finish isn't super glossy, more like medium to low gloss which I like. The sandblaster comes in handy all the time. Today I blasted the battery box, lower triple clamp, various brackets and the seat lock. It's totally worth having it on hand and I'm still not even through one bag of sand yet. One thing though, you really need a water seperator for it to work properly. You'd have the best results with a pressurized-type sand blaster, which is what I would have wanted. But cash is tight and I have alot of crap to buy yet. My thread is "75 Z-1 900 Resto"

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125
Last edit: 15 Jun 2010 13:05 by Kidkawie.

• greasepencil
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 Jun 2010 20:02 #376701 by greasepencil
The reproduction 73 z1 bodywork from z1enterprises came in yesterday and I was blown away by the paint quality...it really is in my opinion the best way I could have a nice bodywork set for the bike other than paintworkz...I'll have to get some pics up sunday, sorry, I'm the best man at my buddies wedding tommorow and feel terrible from the bachelor party last night...

Dan

• greasepencil
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
20 Jun 2010 18:11 #377121 by greasepencil
Here are the pics as promised, the only reason I'm kind of a little disappointed is now I have to build the bike to the level the bodywork is, I was wanting a rider with good paint I wouldn't be afraid of riding!

-Dan-

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
20 Jun 2010 18:57 #377129 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic Dan's 73 Z1 build
I sure would like some of that beautiful bodywork for my bike but I will have to wait. :( :(

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

More
03 Jul 2010 09:16 #379923 by unclemo
Replied by unclemo on topic Dan's 73 Z1 build
Kawickrice wrote:

I sure would like some of that beautiful bodywork for my bike but I will have to wait. :( :(

tell me about it that is pretty darn clean lookn body work. I would be scared to ride it!

GRAND ISLAND,NE....