79 KZ650 Chopper Build

More
31 May 2010 20:14 #372496 by Sircraigery
Replied by Sircraigery on topic 79 KZ650 Chopper Build
Yeah that should look fine, and structurally I think it be also be alright. Just make sure your welds are perfect.

That is partially why I put the tubing joint between the engine mounts, that way the engine itself absorbs some of the stress that welded joint would normally have.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 May 2010 20:37 #372503 by hmeric7
Replied by hmeric7 on topic 79 KZ650 Chopper Build
yeah i figured since im putting the gussets off my new fabbed rear section to the cradle that would give me a larger wleded area probally do a 3 inch gusset so ill be weldied on both sides of the gusset, on both tubes, and then the tube to the other tube. so i think structural ill be safe. but ure bike is about exactlly what im looking for maybe a little longer and some how fab foward controls

1977 KZ 1000 LTD

More
31 May 2010 21:16 #372512 by Sircraigery
There is a guy on ebay selling cheap forward controls that mount directly to the front engine mounts. No cutting or nothing and they are about $125, including pegs.

I didn't do with forward controls because I don't really like the feel of them. I like the look of stretching your feet out (and planning a 8 hour ride home to Calgary this summer), so I just put pegs on.

More
01 Jun 2010 15:21 #372641 by hmeric7
Replied by hmeric7 on topic 79 KZ650 Chopper Build
yeah i liked em o n my sporster but thought itd be nice to be able to stretch out a bit on the kz

1977 KZ 1000 LTD

More
12 Jun 2010 10:28 #375265 by Sircraigery
Last saturday I took the bike for a 5 hour ride. And yeah, it was definitely nice to have the highway pegs, but I'm glad I have both.

On the regular pegs, your legs go numb. On the highway pegs, your ass goes numb. So it's nice to alternate between the two.