Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

'78 KZ1000 makeover 27 Feb 2013 20:51 #574472

• porchev914
  • porchev914's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Whats that? Half of my swingarm is missing?!?!?
  • Thank you received: 19

750triple wrote: lookin' great, cant wait to ser her finished!

Thank you, and welcome to the KZ circus :P

Adam
FRANKEN Z!
1978 KZ1000 A2A with 08'Speed Triple SSSA and '06 GSXR1000 front end

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by porchev914.

'78 KZ1000 makeover 28 Feb 2013 11:25 #574539

• 531blackbanshee
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 797

porchev914 wrote:

Adam

Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends
We're so glad you could attend
Come inside! Come inside!
There behind a glass is a kz the color of grass
be careful as you pass
Move along! Move along!

Come inside, the show's about to start
guaranteed to blow your head apart
Rest assured you'll get your money's worth
The greatest show in Heaven, Hell or Earth
You've got to see the show, it's a dynamo
You've got to see the show, it's rock and roll ...

Soon wireman in a glaze of Vaseline
Will perform on guillotine
What a scene! What a scene!
Next upon the stand will you please extend a hand
to les holt's austin powers turbo kz
Roll up! Roll up! Roll up!
See the show!

Performing on a stool we've a sight to make you drool
one man named adam and a mule
Keep it cool. Keep it cool
We would like it to be known the exhibits that were shown
were exclusively our own
All our own. All our own
Come and see the show! Come and see the show! Come and see the show!
See the show!

leon
skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

'78 KZ1000 makeover 28 Feb 2013 20:09 #574622

• camaroguy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
glad to see your back on it. life sometimes changes things. you got a cool bike. look forward to seeing it done.

'78 KZ1000 makeover 28 Feb 2013 23:57 #574663

• 79MKII
  • User
  • Love Them Kaws!
  • Thank you received: 43

531blackbanshee wrote:

porchev914 wrote:

Adam

Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends
We're so glad you could attend
Come inside! Come inside!
There behind a glass is a kz the color of grass
be careful as you pass
Move along! Move along!

Come inside, the show's about to start
guaranteed to blow your head apart
Rest assured you'll get your money's worth
The greatest show in Heaven, Hell or Earth
You've got to see the show, it's a dynamo
You've got to see the show, it's rock and roll ...

Soon wireman in a glaze of Vaseline
Will perform on guillotine
What a scene! What a scene!
Next upon the stand will you please extend a hand
to les holt's austin powers turbo kz
Roll up! Roll up! Roll up!
See the show!

Performing on a stool we've a sight to make you drool
one man named adam and a mule
Keep it cool. Keep it cool
We would like it to be known the exhibits that were shown
were exclusively our own
All our own. All our own
Come and see the show! Come and see the show! Come and see the show!
See the show!

leon

Ah, a little ELP if I remember correctly....
The Kaw List:
Current: 79 KZ1000 A3 MKII, 78 KZ1000 A2, 78 KZ1000 Z1-R, 78 KZ650 SR, 80 KE175
Former: 03 KLX400SR, 99 ZRX1000, 82 KZ750 LTD, 80 KZ1000 A4 MKII, 80 KZ1000 LTD, 78 KZ1000 A2, 74 H-2 750 Triple, 78 KL250
The following user(s) said Thank You: 531blackbanshee

'78 KZ1000 makeover 01 Mar 2013 01:22 #574683

• porchev914
  • User
That's awesome Leon, you're ok in my book. I don't care what they say about you :P :laugh: :whistle: Nice to see you around too camaroguy. Are you still selling your bike?
FRANKEN Z!
The following user(s) said Thank You: 531blackbanshee

'78 KZ1000 makeover 01 Mar 2013 08:57 #574712

• camaroguy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
No decided to keep it.I did get its younger cousin though

'78 KZ1000 makeover 19 Mar 2013 23:26 #577772

• Hollywoodmx
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
I ran into the same problem as you with the chain and sprockets. I was looking at a 1 & 1/4" offset sprocket. Then I realized I could invert the R1 rear sprocket since it had a positive offset in the rear and that seems to have put me in the 1/2" range for the counter shaft sprocket now. If you didnt have and offset rear sprocket in my 5/8th's sprocket thread page two there was an easier solution than you having to use the large counter shaft sprocket. Unless you had to clear something more that I'm unaware of.
- 82 GPz1100injection
- 77 Kz1075 Supercharged
- 81 Yamaha TR-1
- 81 Yamaha xv920
Calgary

'78 KZ1000 makeover 20 Mar 2013 00:51 #577786

• porchev914
  • User
Hmmmm, You've got me a little confused Hollywood, but to be fair, my swingarm installation is mostly documented in a seperate thread. If you hadn't read that thread through, then you might not have a clear picture of everything involved in my particular swingarm swap. I think I've got the jist of what you're trying to say. I am curious about your offset rear sprocket, now that you mention it. Does it really have .75" of offset to it? If it does, then SWEET! If not, you may want to recheck either your math or your measurements. I would hate for you to have to buy a second sprocket like I did because you got it wrong the first time (yeah, that really happened). In the end, I used a low tech string line against the rear sprocket to figure out my offset needed.

I do not have the luxury of flipping my rear sprocket as you can see:

In this pic you can see how much offset is required (thats the stock CSS up front):

My swingarm is a svelt 285mm at the pivot, thats why I have to jump through so many hoops B)
FRANKEN Z!
Attachments:

'78 KZ1000 makeover 21 Mar 2013 00:05 #577932

• Hollywoodmx
  • User

porchev914 wrote: Hmmmm, You've got me a little confused Hollywood, but to be fair, my swingarm installation is mostly documented in a seperate thread. If you hadn't read that thread through, then you might not have a clear picture of everything involved in my particular swingarm swap. I think I've got the jist of what you're trying to say. I am curious about your offset rear sprocket, now that you mention it. Does it really have .75" of offset to it? If it does, then SWEET! If not, you may want to recheck either your math or your measurements. I would hate for you to have to buy a second sprocket like I did because you got it wrong the first time (yeah, that really happened). In the end, I used a low tech string line against the rear sprocket to figure out my offset needed.

I do not have the luxury of flipping my rear sprocket as you can see:

In this pic you can see how much offset is required (thats the stock CSS up front):

My swingarm is a svelt 285mm at the pivot, thats why I have to jump through so many hoops B)

I'll look for the thread tonight so I understand the situation better. Looking at yours from the back mine seemed pretty close to be as bad yours though because the laser went past the case guard and yours looks to be close to pointing to the same spot.
- 82 GPz1100injection
- 77 Kz1075 Supercharged
- 81 Yamaha TR-1
- 81 Yamaha xv920
Calgary

'78 KZ1000 makeover 21 Mar 2013 11:28 #577979

• Hollywoodmx
  • User
Ok I looked at it, page one had your sprocket answer. You need to take advantage of a two piece rear sprocket just like what I posted in my offset thread. In pic 1 below this setup has a negative offset rear sprocket.

Upon further examination, you already have a two piece sprocket setup below, just setup with a positive offset rear. This is what I would do. Copy what I did!! :side: :woohoo:

If your combine your sprocket and sprocket mount you actually have a positive offset rear sprocket. You could try mounting the sprocket on the back side of the mounting plate but it looks like it will rub or at least the chain might on the swing arm. So that then gives you a couple options;

1. Measure to see if a 520 chain and sprocket would fit, I can help you with that if you do some measurements.
2. Machine the outside of the sprocket holder so the chain and sprocket wont rub, then put washers on the positive side for the bolts to make up the difference.
3. Grind the swingarm where the sprocket and chain would rub so it doesn't.

I bet if you flip it so you have a negative offset rear you will barely need a counter shaft front sprocket at all! B) B)

- 82 GPz1100injection
- 77 Kz1075 Supercharged
- 81 Yamaha TR-1
- 81 Yamaha xv920
Calgary

Last edit: by Hollywoodmx.

'78 KZ1000 makeover 22 Mar 2013 19:37 #578212

• porchev914
  • User
Thanks for the in depth response Hollywood B) So bottom line is you're suggesting I put my sprocket on the other side of the carrier?
FRANKEN Z!

'78 KZ1000 makeover 23 Mar 2013 13:15 #578319

• Hollywoodmx
  • User

porchev914 wrote: Thanks for the in depth response Hollywood B) So bottom line is you're suggesting I put my sprocket on the other side of the carrier?

Yes sir! The second pic you will have to test to see if makes it too negative of an offset. If it does that you would to machine the inside (I said outside earlier my mistake in option 2, I meant inside). :)

Have a look, much better than a huge CS front. :whistle:

Attachment rearsprocketoffset2.JPG not found

Attachment rearsprocketoffset3.JPG not found

- 82 GPz1100injection
- 77 Kz1075 Supercharged
- 81 Yamaha TR-1
- 81 Yamaha xv920
Calgary
Attachments:

Last edit: by Hollywoodmx.

'78 KZ1000 makeover 23 Mar 2013 15:21 #578331

• saxjonz
  • User
  • KawboyZ
  • Thank you received: 75
I know this is from many moons ago but the other day I saw a UPS truck in Chicago hit a bump and door in back went up and I chased the dude down and all the while HE thought I was the crazy one. He waved out the door at me and proceeded to drive on to the highway with all the cargo on the edge hanging over precariously close to causing a major accident. I drove around all these other knuckleheads who are obvious oblivious to everything in the world except "ME ME ME" and while they honked at me driving around them not a sound or attempt was made to stop this careless driver from spilling everyone's packages all over the highway. Now as I am still honking and my wife is shouting out the window this guy still does not have a clue so as I was on the left side of him and already in the lane of traffic I forced him over and on to the emergency lane. THEN and only then did he have a clue. Several boxes were already teetering ready to fall off. lol
No need to thank me for going out of my way to look out for everyone. lol

porchev914 wrote: Soooo, minor setback last night. I had loaded a bunch of tools (including my welder) into my truck and headed out to my fathers old place to fix a few things. It was a long day and I didn't pack everything back into the bed as carefully as I should have. I was 80 miles into my return trip home at 11:30 pm and this guy pulls up beside me on the freeway and starts honking and pointing at the ground. I think he's a nut and ignore him. I've got my wife and 3 girls sleeping, and I'm leary of a stranger honking and telling me to pull over at midnight on a SoCal freeway. Eventually, I roll down my window (he was persistant) and he yells that I have a hose hanging down and sparking behind my truck. :angry: I knew right then what had happened. This is what happens when you don't pack your tools up right

This is whats left of my mig gun :( So my work will slow until I can get it replaced...Those RS34's need to be cleaned and rebuilt..

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200

'78 KZ1000 makeover 23 Mar 2013 22:01 #578415

• porchev914
  • User
That was very cool of you to be so persistant Saxjonz. I'm sure the UPS driver was extremely grateful when he realized what you were doing B)

Hollywood, I took a closer look at your proposed solution. I can honestly say I never even saw it as a possibility until you pointed it out. That said, I do not believe it would be an economical way to go. Using parts as is (stock 530 chain, stock Triumph sprocket) placing the sprocket on the inside of the flange would put the chain .1" into the tire. I'd have to have .2" machined off the inside of the drive hub, which would only leave me with .25" of material to bolt it to. In this scenario, I might be able to buy an off the shelf 530 offset sprocket, but I would still need a .639" offset. A 520 chain would lessen the amount of machining required and effect a smaller offset still, but it would also necessitate the manufactuing of a custom rear sprocket as well as have another custom front sprocket made. Of course none of this takes into account that I would have to disassemble the entire hub just to R&R the sprocket. With the first option I am still on the fence of needing an outboard support plate.

I think that at this stage, I will stay with my current configuration. I have a counter sprocket that matches the chain line, the bearing support has been fit and mounts welded in, and I don't have to do any surgury on the SSSA hub, wich I am a little reluctant to do. The business end of my swingarm has alot going on in a small space :lol:
FRANKEN Z!

'78 KZ1000 makeover 24 Mar 2013 14:46 #578531

• saxjonz
  • User
  • KawboyZ
Man, Pandora's box. My thinking, I wonder that when you are able to finally fit everything, you think the frame won't flex a bit?
I think the single swingers are really cool looking but wonder about the functionality. I saw a race where one had a failure. Now I know it was probably a fluke but still.
79 LTD B3

'78 KZ1000 makeover 24 Mar 2013 19:20 #578601

• porchev914
  • User

saxjonz wrote: Man, Pandora's box. My thinking, I wonder that when you are able to finally fit everything, you think the frame won't flex a bit?
I think the single swingers are really cool looking but wonder about the functionality. I saw a race where one had a failure. Now I know it was probably a fluke but still.

I'm not worried in the least about the swingarm failing: If I didn't break the stock swingarm then I definitely won't break this one. Frame flex is absolutely a concern, but I have a fair amount of bracing in the frame in addition to utilizing the Triumph 25mm pivot bolt and 2" chromoly pivot bushings which should help with rigidity. Functionality is no different than a standard swingarm, and probably heavier to boot! But it looks cool (to me) and vastly fewer people attempt it, so those are some of the reasons this particular swap appealed to me. I cannot argue though, it is absolutely Pandoras box! :silly:
FRANKEN Z!

'78 KZ1000 makeover 15 Jul 2013 20:09 #596657

• saxjonz
  • User
  • KawboyZ

650ed wrote: Doesn't sound crazy to me. After having a slave cylinder fail in a car's hydraulic clutch I'm no big fan. Cable is much easier to maintain and, if necessary, replace. Ed

I have driven cars and my two ZRX's for years and years since 97. I have never experienced a problem with any of my systems but with the wire thing I have snapped cables and it's no fun. I guess the answer is to carry a clutch with you at all times and then a toolset but when I ride I don't like to worry about anything and I think by converting I will be just fine.
79 LTD B3

'78 KZ1000 makeover 15 Jul 2013 21:15 #596663

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
Well the only cables I ever had snap were on my BSA (good ole British bike), and the hydraulic clutch that used to fail every time I blinked was on my Austin Healey 3000 (good ole British car). Hey; wait just a cotton pickin' minute - I think I may be detecting a pattern! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: porchev914

'78 KZ1000 makeover 27 Jul 2013 01:33 #598514

• porchev914
  • User

650ed wrote: Well the only cables I ever had snap were on my BSA (good ole British bike), and the hydraulic clutch that used to fail every time I blinked was on my Austin Healey 3000 (good ole British car). Hey; wait just a cotton pickin' minute - I think I may be detecting a pattern! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Ed

I recall a story my dad told me about a friend of his that had and older Rolls Royce in his garage. I thought it was the coolest thing, and asked how often the guy drove it. My dad replied "Never.....not a damn thing in the car works like its supposed to. You switch on the headlights and the wipers come on. But the hand laid wood work inside the car is immaculate". So formed the British stereotype in my young mind then and there. The Brits make beautiful things that can't go anywhere. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Mark stopped by today for a little assistance with an engine crate. Pretty cool enclosed aluminum box with a steel frame inside to bolt a motorcycle engine to. We modded the steel frame to accept a KZ1000 engine to prep for his move. All in all, it was a fun afternoon of drinking beer and welding steel B) Thanks for coming over Mark, I had a good time!

As far the clutch goes, I don't have anything against hydraulic clutches. I have one on my Suzuki (for shame :blush: ) Its just a personal preference for feel. I like the tactile feedback a cable clutch gives. Maybe its got something to do with cable clutches and two stroke dirt bikes when I was growing up. So for now, its a cable. If it strands me, I've got AAA ;)

On a side note, now that my Porsche moves under its own power I can re-prep my frame and paint it. Progress on my bike, now wouldn't that be something?? :whistle:
FRANKEN Z!

'78 KZ1000 makeover 27 Jul 2013 01:42 #598518

• goodfastncheap
  • User
  • Thank you received: 38
Subscribed.
1979 KZ650 B3
KZ Relay Rider #54, Iowa, Nebraska and Kansas
The following user(s) said Thank You: porchev914